Treating for Termites

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2009
      Hi All,
      I wonder if anyone is familiar with a termite treatment called Termidor? My main question is, will this hurt the birds in any way? The treatment is for the perimeter of the house and the birds are housed in the lower portion of the house. I would appreciate any input at all. Thanks.
      Kim
    • Matt Schmit
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2009
        The active ingredient in Termidor is Fipronil.  I routinely use Fipronil around most of my birds at home and we use several products containing Fipronil at the zoo, mainly for cockroach control.  Fipronil is used as an ant and roach control in several industries, including food growers. Fipronil is also the active ingredient in the dog and cat flea product - Frontline.  Below is an excerpt about Fipronil from my "Pest Control for the Aviary" presentation.

        Fipronil is a member of the phenyl pyrazole class of pesticides, which are principally chemicals with an herbicidal effect. Fipronil kills by contaminating an insect through direct contact and when ingested.  It works by disrupting the insect central nervous system resulting in over exciting the insects' nerves and muscles, which in turn causes death.  Fipronil is doubly effective because of the chain reaction that it causes.  Once an insect has become contaminated by Fipronil, its body parts are contaminated with a lethal dose that remains even after death.  When another insect touches or feeds upon an infected carcass, it in turn becomes contaminated with a lethal dose.  Fipronil has been shown to be highly toxic to certain gallinaceous birds, but almost non-toxic to passerines, waterfowl and other bird species. It is available in ready-to-use bait stations, gels and granules and is effective against many insects, including flies, cockroaches, ants, fleas, ticks and mites.

        If you are using Termidor outdoors or in an area where your birds can not access it, I would not worry at all.  If you have chickens or pheasants that could come in contact with the Termidor, then I would be cautious and make sure you have it placed where they won't be able to come in contact with it.

        Matt Schmit
        aves75@...
        http://www.loriinae.com

        Help support the Kuhl's Lory project.  Visit http://www.lorysociety.com/kuhls.htm for more information