dark and violet factors

  • Willy Stobart
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008

      Hi all,

      As I hadn’t seen pics before of a cobalt violet IRN, here are pics of a clutch of 4 showing left to right a cobalt, violet and 2 cobalt violets. The cobalt and cobalt violet parents have hatched out 4 more. I hope to get a mauve and/or a violet mauve.

      Willy

    • Wynand Bezuidenhout

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2008

          Sorry Wyand, I don’t have a young blue yet this season. That is the plan, eventually a pic with all shades of blue lined up blue pallidino to DF violet mauve.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2008
            Hi there Willy

            I'm a finch/budgie breeder in the Macarthur region in Sydney. I'm a
            member of the Zebrafinch Society of Australia and used to be a member
            of the BSA when it existed.

            I'm a molecular geneticist and I breed violet factor, yellowface &
            Aust pied budgies.

            As far as I'm aware, the violet factor only affects background colour
            because it alters the structure of feathers. You can have violet sky,
            violet cobalt (visual), and violet mauve. You can also have the
            violet factor in the green series, which makes the birds a slightly
            deeper green colour (more pronounced in dark green). You can't have
            just violet! What phenotype were the parents?

            I can't download pictures on Yahoo groups but I'm interested in seeing
            your picture that supposedly has a cobalt, violet and 2 violet
            cobalts. Can you please email them to me.

            I recently weaned a clutch of five - two visual violets, one normal
            cobalt and two violet cinnamon hens. The violet cobalt cinnamons are
            a lighter shade of purple than a normal violet cobalt due to the lack
            of melanin. The parents were a violet sky/cinnamon (single factor) x
            normal mauve - so all the offspring are cobalts.

            Best

            Marc

            --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "Willy Stobart"
            <wstobart@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >

            > As I hadn't seen pics before of a cobalt violet IRN, here are pics of a
            > clutch of 4 showing left to right a cobalt, violet and 2 cobalt
            violets. The
            > cobalt and cobalt violet parents have hatched out 4 more. I hope to
            get a
            > mauve and/or a violet mauve.
            >

            > Willy

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
              Guys

              Can anyone of you send pictures or descriptions of the difference
              between the different feathers, all colors as well as all of these
              with Violet added. If possible as seen under a microscope.

              Paul

              --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Marc A. Noakes"