Progressive Mottling

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hello all. I've been breeding exhibition cockatiels now for about 10
      years. I have come across a normal cockatiel that was born with a
      small tick mark behind his head (dam was a lutino pied). A small
      amount of mottling was detected a few weeks ago on his back extending
      from the middle of his back around the top of his wing and into chest.
      These marking are getting progressively larger and are heading now into
      the back of his head (near the tick mark). I have taken pictures of
      the marking and a picture of the feather that I have put in the photo
      section in a folder called "klaviary". The pied ticking is quite
      yellow but these feathers are mottled.

      I know this happened a few years back in an aviary in Florida. This
      hen and cock are distantly related back to lines that are rarely bred
      in the exhibition world (from a deceased judge). This is the first
      time I've bred these lines together. Subsequent breedings of both of
      the parents have not produced these markings.

      Is there such thing as pied modifiers being progressive in nature?

      Leslie Huegerich
    • Susanne Russo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008

         Subsequent breedings of both of
        the parents have not produced these markings.

        Is there such thing as pied modifiers being progressive in nature?

        Leslie,

        I have had similar markings, but mine were split to pearls.  Father and son also carried lutino pied.  These markings showed on the chicks at hatch as shown in the pix.  The cock is several years old now and the pattern to the mottled feathers is no longer clear.  Another listmember  has the birds to work with.

        Susanne

      • Rick Solis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Leslie/Susanne and All,

          Attached is a current photo of Susanne's DYC Pied chick.

          Several observations... the mask is now clear... this is not supposed to happen in ADM pied. The mottled feathers on the mantle now also appear clear of any melanin pigments.

          Note the fine striations on the leading wing edge. These occur randomly over the body, changing to larger areas of yellow on affected feathers. The location of yellow varies from place to place from one feather to another and do not look devoid of melanin.

          As to feather characteristics... all this cockatiels feathers are noticeably narrower than normal especially evident in the crest and in the wings. The feather quality overall is reminiscent of Eclectus.

          The father of this cockatiel, which is only split ADM Pied, does still exhibit the type of mottling seen in the photo of his son as a baby. He has not developed clear pied-type feathers.

          Both this cockatiel and his father are set up for breeding with Normal/Pied hens. I will report back breeding results when there is offspring. They are currently molting.

          There is an excellent article by Dirk Van den Abeele on Progressive Pied (Mottle) reprinted on my website: http://www.cockatielworld.org/genetics.html

          Best regards,
          Rick Solis, V.P.
          The American Cockatiel Society

          American Cockatiel Society   www.acstiels.com
          CockatielWorld!                     www.cockatielworld.org
          Cockatiel Chat                        www.tielchat.cockatielworld.org

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
            I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion but the cockatiel in the attached picture had similar features to the one Rick showed with the thinner feathers but they were also longer than normal like the long flighted budgies reported some years ago, unfortunately this bird did not survive and we assumed some defect  (probably  nutrition or genetic related) even though the rest of the nest were fine and the parents have not produced any more. Parents had ADM pied in their genetics as well as other mutations.
            regards,

            Allan Macdonald <asplandbird@...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
              I'm not an expert on cockatiels, but in budgerigars there is at least
              2 (possibly more) mutations of Mottle, each having progressive pied
              characteristics. One mutation is probably dominant, the other is
              probably polygenic. More research is needed to confirm the true
              genetic nature of these.

              A third "Mottle" type exists which I called "Artificial Pied" in
              my "Budgerigar Variety Bible" book and this is caused by feather
              disease and not genetics. Some "recovered" French Moult budgerigar
              chicks develop this progressive pied feature. I had one of these,
              born Normal Green, died age 7 looking identical to a Texas Clearbody.
              The disease triggered birds tend to have grizzled marked feathers
              whereas the true genetic Mottles do not have grizzled feathers but
              more traditional pied marked feathers. (At least in budgerigars, I
              cannot comment about other species).
              Ken Yorke
              kyorke@...
              http://www2.tpg.com.au/users/kyorke

              --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie" <huegerichl@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello all. I've been breeding exhibition cockatiels now for about
              10
              > years. I have come across a normal cockatiel that was born with a
              > small tick mark behind his head (dam was a lutino pied). A small
              > amount of mottling was detected a few weeks ago on his back
              extending
              > from the middle of his back around the top of his wing and into
              chest.
              > These marking are getting progressively larger and are heading now
              into
              > the back of his head (near the tick mark). I have taken pictures
              of
              > the marking and a picture of the feather that I have put in the
              photo
              > section in a folder called "klaviary". The pied ticking is quite
              > yellow but these feathers are mottled.
              >
              > I know this happened a few years back in an aviary in Florida.
              This
              > hen and cock are distantly related back to lines that are rarely
              bred
              > in the exhibition world (from a deceased judge). This is the first
              > time I've bred these lines together. Subsequent breedings of both
              of
              > the parents have not produced these markings.
              >
              > Is there such thing as pied modifiers being progressive in nature?
              >
              > Leslie Huegerich

            • Leslie
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                Can you send me the pics in an email? huegerichl@...

                I am on no mail.

                Mine is split to pearl too!

                Whiteface Pearl/Lutino and Pied cock
                Lutino Pied hen

                Leslie

                --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, Susanne Russo
                <sr_tiels@...> wrote:

                >  Subsequent breedings of both of
                > the parents have not produced these markings.
                >
                > Is there such thing as pied modifiers being progressive in nature?
                ----------------------------

                > Leslie,
                >
                > I have had similar markings, but mine were split to pearls.
                Father and son also carried lutino pied.  These markings showed
                on the chicks at hatch as shown in the pix.  The cock is several
                years old now and the pattern to the mottled feathers is no longer
                clear.  Another listmember  has the birds to work with.

                > Susanne

              • Leslie
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Thanks to all! I would appreciate any pictures sent to my email
                  address. I only have this on no mail. But, this is an interesting
                  topic. I, for one, don't rush to judge that this is a new thing as I
                  always think of feather abnormalities being baby issues first. This
                  baby has no known issues to date. I find it odd and will keep this
                  baby back (it is of good size and the mother is my Grandchampion
                  Lutino). No other babies appear as this one does. I have another
                  clutch on the ground and will be keeping some of those as well for
                  exhibition. The birds are linebred to an old line of birds (Keith
                  Reimer) and that makes me wonder as this line isn't all over the
                  country and it was just by chance (through a joint breeding with
                  Sherri Lewis in VA) that I acquired him temporarily. She, actually,
                  had me post to the list as I'm not quick to start ewwwing and awwwing
                  over something this slight in appearance.

                  Thanks bunches! I look forward to seeing the pics.
                  Leslie

                  wrote:

                  > Hello all. I've been breeding exhibition cockatiels now for about
                  10
                  > years. I have come across a normal cockatiel that was born with a
                  > small tick mark behind his head (dam was a lutino pied). A small
                  > amount of mottling was detected a few weeks ago on his back
                  extending
                  > from the middle of his back around the top of his wing and into
                  chest.
                  > These marking are getting progressively larger and are heading now
                  into
                  > the back of his head (near the tick mark). I have taken pictures
                  of
                  > the marking and a picture of the feather that I have put in the
                  photo
                  > section in a folder called "klaviary". The pied ticking is quite
                  > yellow but these feathers are mottled.
                  >
                  > I know this happened a few years back in an aviary in Florida.
                  This
                  > hen and cock are distantly related back to lines that are rarely
                  bred
                  > in the exhibition world (from a deceased judge). This is the first
                  > time I've bred these lines together. Subsequent breedings of both
                  of
                  > the parents have not produced these markings.
                  >
                  > Is there such thing as pied modifiers being progressive in nature?
                  >
                  > Leslie Huegerich

                • Leslie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Rick,

                    Was the whiteface of yours on your site ever out in the sun? I see
                    this mottling when birds go out in the sun. I've seen someone's
                    aviary here in NC that is in part sun and the cinnamons seem to
                    mottle. Even one of the birds I sold him started to do it this year
                    already.

                    Leslie

                    --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, Rick Solis
                    <rick.solis@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Leslie/Susanne and All,
                    >
                    > Attached is a current photo of Susanne's DYC Pied chick.
                    >
                    > Several observations... the mask is now clear... this is not
                    supposed to happen in ADM pied. The mottled feathers on the mantle
                    now also appear clear of any melanin pigments.

                    > Note the fine striations on the leading wing edge. These occur
                    randomly over the body, changing to larger areas of yellow on
                    affected feathers. The location of yellow varies from place to place
                    from one feather to another and do not look devoid of melanin.

                    > As to feather characteristics... all this cockatiels feathers are
                    noticeably narrower than normal especially evident in the crest and
                    in the wings. The feather quality overall is reminiscent of Eclectus.

                    > The father of this cockatiel, which is only split ADM Pied, does
                    still exhibit the type of mottling seen in the photo of his son as a
                    baby. He has not developed clear pied-type feathers.

                    > Both this cockatiel and his father are set up for breeding with
                    Normal/Pied hens. I will report back breeding results when there is
                    offspring. They are currently molting.

                    > There is an excellent article by Dirk Van den Abeele on Progressive
                    Pied (Mottle) reprinted on my website:
                    http://www.cockatielworld.org/genetics.html

                    > Best regards,
                    > Rick Solis, V.P.
                    > The American Cockatiel Society
                    >

                    > American Cockatiel Society   www.acstiels.com
                    > CockatielWorld!
                               &nbs
                    p;        www.cockatielworld.org
                    > Cockatiel
                    Chat
                               &nbs
                    p; www.tielchat.cockatielworld.org

                    ---- --------- --------- --------- ---

                    > Leslie,
                    >
                    > I have had similar markings, but mine were split to pearls.
                    Father and son also carried lutino pied.  These markings showed
                    on the chicks at hatch as shown in the pix.  The cock is several
                    years old now and the pattern to the mottled feathers is no longer
                    clear.  Another listmember  has the birds to work with.

                    > Susanne

                  • Rick Solis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
                      Hi Leslie and Everyone,

                      The Cinnamon Whiteface 'Mottle' shown on my website is not mine, I only took the photo.
                      This bird was not ever out in the sun but lived in an indoor aviary. My birds are outside and, yes, they do start to look faded after a period of time in the Florida sun.
                      The difference between this phenomenon and the bird pictured is that where once there were cinnamon colored feathers, there are now pure white ones. To the eye, they have no trace of melanin pigmentation.

                      We are probably talking about two different things here.
                      Progressive Pied, or Mottle is caused by the death of melanocytes in the skin, and the subsequent absence of melanin in the feather that grows at that site. It's been theorized that an inheritable, autoimmune process, is the cause.
                      The mottled effect on these feathers is caused by intermittent melanin deposition. Leucism (piedness) is by definition a complete absence of melanin in the skin, beak, claws and feathers of the affected areas. Therefore, the mottled effect does not fit the definition of pied.

                      Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon?

                      Regards,
                      Rick

                      <rick.solis@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi Leslie/Susanne and All,
                      >
                      > Attached is a current photo of Susanne's DYC Pied chick.
                      >
                      > Several observations. .. the mask is now clear... this is not
                      supposed to happen in ADM pied. The mottled feathers on the mantle
                      now also appear clear of any melanin pigments.
                      > &nbsp;
                      > Note the fine striations on the leading wing edge. These occur
                      randomly over the body, changing to larger areas of yellow on
                      affected feathers. The location of yellow varies from place to place
                      from one feather to another and do not look devoid of melanin.

                      > As to feather characteristics. .. all this cockatiels feathers are
                      noticeably narrower than normal especially evident in the crest and
                      in the wings. The feather quality overall is reminiscent of Eclectus.

                      > The father of this cockatiel, which is only split ADM Pied, does
                      still exhibit the type of mottling seen in the photo of his son as a
                      baby. He has not developed clear pied-type feathers.

                      > Both this cockatiel and his father are set up for breeding with
                      Normal/Pied hens. I will report back breeding results when there is
                      offspring. They are currently molting.

                      > There is an excellent article by Dirk Van den Abeele on Progressive
                      Pied (Mottle) reprinted on my website:
                      http://www.cockatie lworld.org/ genetics. html

                      > Best regards,
                      > Rick Solis, V.P.
                      > The American Cockatiel Society
                      >

                      > American Cockatiel Society&nbsp; &nbsp; www.acstiels. com
                      > CockatielWorld!
                      &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbs
                      p;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; www.cockatielworld. org
                      > Cockatiel
                      Chat&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;

                      ---- --------- --------- --------- ---
                      > &nbsp;
                      > Leslie,
                      > &nbsp;
                      > I have had similar markings, but mine were split to pearls.&nbsp;
                      Father and son also carried lutino pied.&nbsp; These markings showed
                      on the chicks at hatch as shown in the pix.&nbsp; The cock is several
                      years old now and the pattern to the mottled feathers is no longer
                      clear.&nbsp; Another listmember&nbsp; has the birds to work with.
                      > &nbsp;
                      > Susanne

                    • Leslie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
                        That is interesting then! I pulled from my birds back a few feathers
                        from the side that is not yet turning colors yet. We'll see if those
                        feathers grow back in pied or not. Will be interesting to see how
                        this progresses. Now, to keep this birdie alive during the weaning
                        process!

                        <rick.solis@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Leslie and Everyone,
                        >
                        > The Cinnamon Whiteface 'Mottle' shown on my website is not mine, I
                        only took the photo.
                        > This bird was not ever out in the sun but lived in an indoor
                        aviary. My birds are outside and, yes, they do start to look faded
                        after a period of time in the Florida sun.
                        > The difference between this phenomenon and the bird pictured is
                        that where once there were cinnamon colored feathers, there are now
                        pure white ones. To the eye, they have no trace of melanin
                        pigmentation.

                        > We are probably talking about two different things here.
                        > Progressive Pied, or Mottle is caused by the death of melanocytes
                        in the skin, and the subsequent absence of melanin in the feather
                        that grows at that site. It's been theorized that an inheritable,
                        autoimmune process, is the cause.
                        > The mottled effect on these feathers is caused by intermittent
                        melanin deposition. Leucism (piedness) is by definition a complete
                        absence of melanin in the skin, beak, claws and feathers of the
                        affected areas. Therefore, the mottled effect does not fit the
                        definition of pied.

                        > Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Rick
                        >

                        > American Cockatiel Society   www.acstiels.com
                        > CockatielWorld!