RE: [Genetics-Psittacine] Red crowned Budgies

  • Monica & Fids
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
      I once saw a budgie with a little red on it's head... I asked what it was from and I was told that it was probably food dye (like they have for canaries) however I didn't believe it.

      However, I have also seen budgies with green foreheads... a lime-green/neon-green color.... I'd share the pictures however I'm not sure where they are now...

      Regardless, the culprit was a toy.... the budgies got wet then rubbed up against a green object, which caused their foreheads to become green. It wasn't as much coloration with the red capped budgies, but still a good amount. I remember that one of the budgies was a blue mutation, possibly ino... Even after the budgies have dried, the dye remains and doesn't flake off, so it looks like actual feathers.

      As far as pink budgies go, the only pink ones I know about are violet factor albinos (or so I've read). If the person said they bred pink PARAKEETS I could believe them then, as there ARE pink bourkes...

      And, I've never heard of budgies hybridizing with any other species so thus far I wouldn't believe it would be possible...

      To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
      From: asplandbird@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:56:27 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Red crowned Budgies

      Perhaps hybridization with something else otherwise paint or dye as I don't recall any red pigments in the budgerigar haven't heard of red suffusion even, although some claim to have bred pink buggies I haven't seen anything to convince me, I am no expert and could be totally wrong and would be pleased to see red but with all the work that has gone into these little birds I would think any red would gain a lot of attention. Kind regards,

      Allan Mac <asplandbird@ yahoo.com. au>
      Parenting Zone

      on Yahoo! Groups
      Your one stop for
      parenting groups.

      Win free airfare
      from Yahoo!
      Fly home for the
      Holidays on us.
      Women of Curves
      on Yahoo! Groups
      A positive group
      to discuss Curves.
      .

      Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!