breeding pied galahs

  • Chris.Hetherington
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi,I was wondering if anybody can help me with information on this
      subject. I have be breeding the pied galahs know for 16 years and have
      come across two pairs that have not produced the pied pattern.This is
      pied/pied third genaration offspring.All the pairs are of different
      blood lines and this is their second cluch all (9) young normal in
      colour.any help would be greatly received as this has me baffled.
    • trezza green
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        hi cris, i am assuming that you have paired the young back to the parents &
        paired bro & sista together by now cris? (re the 16yrs). been any clear toe
        nails. re galahs, some strange rumour is that some ????? people believe
        that only the w/a galahs breed will in captivity. i know of numerous
        breeders that have breed galahs from the eastern states for years. i know of
        a person who feeds numerous species of wild birds daily up the mulga. the
        person has for years seen galahs with 50 cents sized white markings on their
        backs? has never seen any different coloured nails thru the binnocs on these
        galahs that he feeds? lorenzo

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • saboor ghazi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          hiya chris

          i'd love to see any pics you have of the pied galahs you are breeding,

          thanks

          sab

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
            Chris

            From the comment of another group member I assume you have placed
            the photos on the website. Unfortunately I rarely have time to surf so have
            not seen them.

            In general terms, if the birds are from two different unrelated Pied
            lines, you might simply have to different recessive Pied mutations and have
            produced a heap of double splits. But even in those cases you would usually
            expect a few stray pied areas.

            How much Pied are these birds showing? if it is only a small amount
            the birds could be heterozygous Minor Dominant Pieds which would produce an
            expected percentage of Normal offspring in matings.

            > Hi,I was wondering if anybody can help me with information on this
            > subject. I have be breeding the pied galahs know for 16 years and have
            > come across two pairs that have not produced the pied pattern.This is
            > pied/pied third genaration offspring.All the pairs are of different
            > blood lines and this is their second cluch all (9) young normal in
            > colour.any help would be greatly received as this has me baffled.
          • bordernet
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
              Hi lorenzo, thanks for the email. Yes we have paired mother to son and father to daughter but we have never gone to brother and sister.You might think this is silly but we keep away from that sort of line breeding because we breed large moderns for years and have all ways done it this way. The pied galahs we have have never had any white/or clear area in the toe nails. The western galah is the best bird for breeding because it is not a guts like the eastern and bonds quite easy also you mention markings the size of 50 cent  some birds with markings like this will colour up to a good marked pied bird.
              Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 10:19 AM
              Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] cris, have you?? breeding pied galahs

              hi cris, i am assuming that you have paired the young back to the parents &
              paired bro & sista together by now cris? (re the 16yrs). been any clear toe
              nails. re galahs, some strange rumour is that some ????? people believe
              that only the w/a galahs breed will in captivity. i know of numerous
              breeders that have breed galahs from the eastern states for years. i know of
              a person who feeds numerous species of wild birds daily up the mulga. the
              person has for years seen galahs with 50 cents sized white markings on their
              backs? has never seen any different coloured nails thru the binnocs on these
              galahs that he feeds? lorenzo

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://messenger. msn.click- url.com/go/ onm00200471ave/ direct/01/

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.