Notation og genetic symbols.

  • Wessel Louw van der Veen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2000
      I have been downloading the archives recently.
      In one of the older messages Terry asked how the in (Continental)
      Europe used symbols could be written.

      In stead of writing them vertically and underlining the upper ones it goes
      like this:

      V , Db, / V+ , D+b, (a single factored violet).

      The symbols in this way of writing are closed with a << , >> ;
      the slash serves to separate both formula halves.

      V is violet; Db shows the linkage between a dark factor and blue.
      The comma after V and befor Db indicates the factors are on a different
      chromosome; DB linked means they are on the same chromosome.
      V+ is non-violet; D+b is blue without a dark factor.

      This way of writing lately is often used in articles too.
      The sign << + >> then is however written in superscript, which I can not
      reproduce in an e-mail.
      In writing this way printing formulas becomes cheaper.
      Wessel.