Red Suffused Lovebirds

  • Jonathan Whanamberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2006
      I have a male Lutino Red Suffused Lovebird (Picture added on the Photo Section of this group).
       Anyone in this group have any detail on the genetic of this mutation for me ?

      I was told that Red Suffusion is dominant, but I have breed him to a green hen as well as lutino hen... both time I have not seen any Red suffused babies in the nest. He has produced both Males and hen babies.

      Thank

      Jon

    • rainer erhart
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2006

        Those are exactly the results you would expect, never another Suffused.  I have had red suffused Peachfaced since the late seventies and can tell you for a fact that this is not a mutation but a modification.  This means you cannot reproduce this color as you can all other colors.  It is neither recessive nor dominant.  They pop up occasionally,are almost always females and may be the result of metabolic disorder. They are often quite attractive birds and some breeders try to offer them at high prices with lot's of promises.  Don't fall for them, Rainer.

        From: Jonathan Whanamberg <p4aviary@...>
        To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] Red Suffused Lovebirds
        Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:07:56 -0800 (PST)

        I have a male Lutino Red Suffused Lovebird (Picture added on the Photo Section of this group).
         Anyone in this group have any detail on the genetic of this mutation for me ?

        I was told that Red Suffusion is dominant, but I have breed him to a green hen as well as lutino hen... both time I have not seen any Red suffused babies in the nest. He has produced both Males and hen babies.

        Thank

        Jon

        Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more�then map the best route!
      • Dirk Van den Abeele
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2006

          maybe this can help you

          Dirk Van den Abeele