wf lovebirds

  • barbhohmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi everyone, my name is Barb and I am a hobby breeder of lovebirds. I
      purchased two pair last April. The first pair, mom is
      cinammon/violet, dad is dark factor violet. The second pair are
      violet and colbalt. Both pair are gorgeous birds and they both
      recently had clutches. The first pair had 4 babies, one is dark
      factor like dad, very deep purple. one is all silver, I thought it
      was a slate, but the other pair have a slate and this baby is way too
      light. the other two babies are very silver with a violet wash to
      their bellies, they both have light yellow feathers on their wings
      and yellow and violet stripes on their tails and sides. The babies
      range in age from 6-7 weeks and are starting to fly and wean. I have
      been hand feeding them from 2-3 weeks old. So my question is do the
      violets look very silver/light violet/yellow when they are this age?
      I have looked at pictures of colour mutations and cannot find an
      exact match. Will they darken up? will the yellow fade? I know that
      they are not cinammon. The previous owner has pictures of her last
      clutch with these birds and my birds do not look at all like them.
      Its strange. Can anyone with wf violet/cinammon/dark factor help me?

      thanks
      Barb
    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2006
        Sorry, I saw your post, but I'm new here, too. Terribly new to the
        thought of breeding birds (I'm not currently breeding or have any to
        breed, just wanting to learn more about genetics first)so couldn't
        respond with any advice.

        I went to the yahoo archives and found your post, here it is in it's
        entirety for those who may be able to help Barb.

        Nancy Campbell RVT
        http://vettechs.blogspot.com

        --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "barbhohmann"

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
          Barb

          You need to send some photos to the group of your birds to see if
          someone can identify them. Either attach them to an email, but reduce them
          to an appropriate size of around 50-100kb. Or upload them to the photo
          section of the website.

          btw, using a slash (/) sign indicates a bird is split for a
          mutation. Writing cinnamon/violet and wf violet/cinnamon/dark factor is
          therefore misleading as birds cannot be split for dominant mutations like
          Violet or Dark factor. I suspect you did not know this about the slash sign.

          Terry

          > --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "barbhohmann"
          > <barbhohmann@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi everyone, my name is Barb and I am a hobby breeder of lovebirds. I
          >> purchased two pair last April. The first pair, mom is
          >> cinammon/violet, dad is dark factor violet. The second pair are
          >> violet and colbalt. Both pair are gorgeous birds and they both
          >> recently had clutches. The first pair had 4 babies, one is dark
          >> factor like dad, very deep purple. one is all silver, I thought it
          >> was a slate, but the other pair have a slate and this baby is way too
          >> light. the other two babies are very silver with a violet wash to
          >> their bellies, they both have light yellow feathers on their wings
          >> and yellow and violet stripes on their tails and sides. The babies
          >> range in age from 6-7 weeks and are starting to fly and wean. I have
          >> been hand feeding them from 2-3 weeks old. So my question is do the
          >> violets look very silver/light violet/yellow when they are this age?
          >> I have looked at pictures of colour mutations and cannot find an
          >> exact match. Will they darken up? will the yellow fade? I know that
          >> they are not cinammon. The previous owner has pictures of her last
          >> clutch with these birds and my birds do not look at all like them.
          >> Its strange. Can anyone with wf violet/cinammon/dark factor help me?
          >>
          >> thanks
          >> Barb

        • barb hohmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
            Thanks Terry, you are right I wrote the description wrong with the / (splits). I am waiting to receive pictures, as soon as I get them I will  post them with a picture of mom and dad too if that is helpfull. I enjoy raising lovebirds as a hobby and would be very interested in knowing the correct description before I sell them, or I may decide to keep them. I look forward to knowing what the opinions are. I will post the pictures as soon as they come to me.

            thanks
            Barb

            Terry Martin <sbankvet@...> wrote:
            Barb

            You need to send some photos to the group of your birds to see if
            someone can identify them. Either attach them to an email, but reduce them
            to an appropriate size of around 50-100kb. Or upload them to the photo
            section of the website.

            btw, using a slash (/) sign indicates a bird is split for a
            mutation. Writing cinnamon/violet and wf violet/cinnamon/ dark factor is
            therefore misleading as birds cannot be split for dominant mutations like
            Violet or Dark factor. I suspect you did not know this about the slash sign.

            Terry

            > --- In Genetics-Psittacine @yahoogroups. com, "barbhohmann"
            > <barbhohmann@ ...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi everyone, my name is Barb and I am a hobby breeder of lovebirds. I
            >> purchased two pair last April. The first pair, mom is
            >> cinammon/violet, dad is dark factor violet. The second pair are
            >> violet and colbalt. Both pair are gorgeous birds and they both
            >> recently had clutches. The first pair had 4 babies, one is dark
            >> factor like dad, very deep purple. one is all silver, I thought it
            >> was a slate, but the other pair have a slate and this baby is way too
            >> light. the other two babies are very silver with a violet wash to
            >> their bellies, they both have light yellow feathers on their wings
            >> and yellow and violet stripes on their tails and sides. The babies
            >> range in age from 6-7 weeks and are starting to fly and wean. I have
            >> been hand feeding them from 2-3 weeks old. So my question is do the
            >> violets look very silver/light violet/yellow when they are this age?
            >> I have looked at pictures of colour mutations and cannot find an
            >> exact match. Will they darken up? will the yellow fade? I know that
            >> they are not cinammon. The previous owner has pictures of her last
            >> clutch with these birds and my birds do not look at all like them.
            >> Its strange. Can anyone with wf violet/cinammon/ dark factor help me?
            >>
            >> thanks
            >> Barb

          • Brian Nielsen
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2006
              Anyone knows this breeder?
              http://www.mutace-papousku.com/fotogalery.php?akce=vse

              Regards Brian Nielsen
              www.pullaria.com
            • R. H. Berry
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
                Hello. I have talked to him a few times. Why?

                Regards,
                Randolph H. Berry
                Berry Avicultural Park
                Naples, Italy
                www.berryparrots.com

                  Hello do you no of people here that may have had dealings with them?
                  Debra

                  > Hello. I have talked to him a few times. Why?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Randolph H. Berry
                  > Berry Avicultural Park
                  > Naples, Italy
                  > www.berryparrots.com

                • frank garbers
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2006
                    Hi Brian,

                    do you know forpus breeders in southamerica or asia?
                    Would like to get more info about the different mutations, that does not exist here but are over there.

                    Greetings
                    Frank

                    Brian Nielsen <admin@...> schrieb:
                    Anyone knows this breeder?
                    http://www.mutace- papousku. com/fotogalery. php?akce= vse

                    Regards Brian Nielsen
                    www.pullaria. com

                    Besseren Schutz gegen Spam - jetzt bei dem neuen Yahoo! Mail .