Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Re: Fallow Kakariki with mysterious headspot

  • Wouters-Calant
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      Terry, thanks for your reply.
      One of the major problems in Kakariki is hybridization. Nowadays one can not be sure his bird is 100% pure. I' ve noticed in these birds some small traces of the yellow crowned Kakariki.
      I wonder if there could be somekind of opposition between the genes of Redfronted and Yellow-crowned Kakariki through which this green spot appears.
      Additional detail, the dad of the chick in the picture also displays a green patch on the neck but this is unnoticed. He is a 80% normal (green) pied.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
        Peter

                Unlikely to be due to hybridisation, as both species have the same basic colour genes, doing the same thing. That is why transmutation is so popular in some species. The hybrid has no effect on the mutation.