Re: Plum colored budgerigar?

  • Royan Webb
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 1999
      A budgie told me Terry said:

      > Can I qualify your observations, the hen was a DdV-G-bb bird with a
      > mauve phenotype and produced blues (ddbb, Ddbb?) and grey violets (ddV-G-bb)
      > that were different in appearance to the mother. These later birds were a
      > grey phenotype with a blue/violet tinge? Did you produce any simple
      > Greys(ddvvG-bb)?

      Not QUITE a mauve phenotype, but close. hen was Dd-Vv-Gg-bb (not sure where
      the hyphens go.. dark and blue are linked) When paired with a sky blue I got
      medium blue (cobalt), grey, violet, skyblue cinnamon, grey, cinnamon skyblue

      When mated to a green opaline spangle (split blue) I got green, gray-green,
      gray, medium grey, blue and violet.

      With a skyblue rec pied YF, I got grey, and sky blues

      So the short answer is yes.
      --
      _ _
      (') (`} Email mailto:bandr@...

      And the budgie says:
      The universe is simple; it's the explanation that's complex.
    • Royan Webb
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 1999
        A budgie told me Terry said:

        > Thanks for the clarification, but now it is my turn

        > you said
        >> hen was Dd-Vv-Gg-bb (not sure where
        >> the hyphens go.. dark and blue are linked)

        > Actually, when writing genotypes with symbols, hyphens should not be
        > used. The Europeans use vertical lines between chromosome pairs, but I dont
        > know how to do that with the computer.

        That would be a shifted backslash perhaps ie Ddbb|Vv|Gg ?

        hmm not sure that's more legible. Maybe with spacing? Dd bb | Vv | Gg? That's
        a bit better maybe..
        :D

        Royan
        --
        _ _
        (') (`} Email mailto:bandr@...
        //) / ) ICQ:14256691 nick:MLO
        " / / Theropod Aviary
        //" http://www.globaldialog.com/AdventureCentral/aviary/

        And the budgie says:
        "Plug mouse into port." No mouse, used cat. No port, used vodka.
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 1999
          Royan

          Thanks for the clarification, but now it is my turn

          you said
          >hen was Dd-Vv-Gg-bb (not sure where
          >the hyphens go.. dark and blue are linked)

          Actually, when writing genotypes with symbols, hyphens should not be
          used. The Europeans use vertical lines between chromosome pairs, but I dont
          know how to do that with the computer.

          In my message I said >the hen was a DdV-G-bb bird<. In this case the -
          indicates that the allele was unknown, in other words it could have been
          either a V or v for the first and a G or g for the second without altering
          the phenotype. I was not trying to indicate any linkage. I probably should
          have placed the b locus next to the d locus when writing it out to suggest
          some association, but the b locus nearly was left out and was simply tacked
          on the end!