what will these be please any ideas?

  • mixsetup
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi ok the hen a Lutino who's parents were a Blue hen and a Green cock.
      And a Grey posible silver cock had these 2 young
      http://home.iprimus.com.au/mmixsetup/col 1.jpg

      My mate who bred these doesn't know what they are as they have a blue
      and grey colour and sometimes on a angle they look to have a green.

      Any ideas?
      Thank you
      Michael
    • marj nakar

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
          marj - part of the url wasn't highlighted and you have to add it manually.
          Pat
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2005
            Michael

            They are poor feather, which makes them difficult to identify but
            based on the parentage I would suspect they might be Cinnamon Blue hens.
            Wait until the feather up fully/work out why the feathers are poor - parents
            plucking? or something else. Sometimes you get colour changes for acquired
            reasons that make birds look different when they are not.

          • TheChirpnTails@aol.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
                OK....I FOUND THE WEBSITE.
                There's no direct link to the specific page so click on
                Psittacula Mutations (on top tab)
                Ringnecks (along side)
                scroll down toward bottom to see what they call......
                HALF-SIDER Green-Blue

                This shows GREEN on one side and BLUE on the other.  The blue starts at neck, includes one wing, chest and half of the tail feathers.

                Here's are photos and what it says about the Half Sider......
                (hope this shows up on everyone's email)
                It says this can also happen to Grey & Blue (which is what your photo looks like it might be).

                Half Sider

                Half Sider Green-Blue
                Photo: Z. Rana

                Half Sider Green-Blue
                Photo: Z. Rana

                Half Sider Green-Blue
                Photo: Z. Rana
                Note: A Half sider is a bird that is colourwise split in two, part of the bird is blue and part is green, this can also be greygreen and green or grey and blue. It is not possible deliberately breed a half sider, they are a result of genes splitting and developing wrongly. The amount of the colour split can vary greatly from a 50/50 split to a few spots of the alternate colour somewhere on the body.

                Chirp of Phoenix

                Michael, sorry for lateness in responding.  Could you get a bigger and better photo of these two RN chicks after they've been spritzed down and dried,  so we can see how feathers lay naturally....?

                I recall seeing something similar (and darn I can't remember where)....but RN was mostly one color on one side, and another color on the other. Will see if I can locate that website.

                Chirp of Phoenix

                Hi ok the hen a Lutino who's parents were a Blue hen and a Green cock.
                And a Grey posible silver cock had these 2 young
                http://home.iprimus.com.au/mmixsetup/col 1.jpg

                My mate who bred these doesn't know what they are as they have a blue
                and grey colour and sometimes on a angle they look to have a green.

                Any ideas?
                Thank you
                Michael

              • Trademark
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                  Howdy All,

                  There was an article in the Australian Birdkeeper not so long ago (early this year or late last year) regarding a halfsider ringneck. The bird was more like a quartersider, all grey with a blue wing, or vice versa, however the bird in the article had a definite colour change, like a line, whereas the 2 young birds in the photo provided here seem to have grizzling to an eventual colour change.
                  A halfsider or quartersider is more like the pictures of the budgerigar I have attached (picture origins unknown)
                  I have also seen a bird, a fischeri from memory, that was blackmask one side and bluemask the other. I believe halfsiders do not breed this trait on though, can anyone confirm this..???

                  Regards
                  Trademark !!!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005

                    Hi All,

                    The pictures that are shown were taken in our birdroom of our bird. The pictures were taken when the bird was quite young. It was bred from two visually normal budgerigars. We have not tried to breed from it but we have been told it will probably be infertile but if it does breed it will not produce young that are like itself.

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                      Thanks Pat...
                      Great Pics

                      Trademark !!!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                        Hi Guy ,

                        Firstly Pat the Budgies is lovely coloured birds. I like odd coloured pieds. What are the colours ?? and what are they genetics??

                        As I was the one who breed the ringneck in the "Australian Birdkeeper  not so long ago" ( Vol 14 Issue 12 Dec-Jan 2002) on page 708 and 709, almost 4 years ago. name of the article was "Surprise Surprise"!! Text and Photographs by Mick Blake. and the parent and the young were all sold the guy in Melbourne and he as told me that he has not breed any others like the halfsidered in the article. I have also breed them in Masked and fischer lovebirds the masked was half normal and half blue. The Fischer was half lutino and half blue lutino(albino), I have also breed a halfsided sexed Zebra finch one side was male and the other was female it lived about two years and died, I also have friend in Newcastle who has five or six halfsided ringnecks of different colours green & blue, Silver & Grey etc. must be some thing in the water. only joking about the water . when I was a kid growing up my brother was 20 years old than me had a farm and he breed a funny looking chook (chicken) one side was fizzeled and the other side was normal feathered his kid who are the same age as me keep it as a pet for over ten years. Would that have be a halfsided??

                        Mick
                        Karmic Aviaries
                        Mt Morgan Queensland
                        Australia.
                        www.karmicaviaries.com
                        Karmic Aviaries
                        Mick & Karin Blake
                        Private Breeders, Sculptor, Potter & Blacksmith
                        Mt Morgan QLD 4714
                        Phone: (07) 49381767
                        E-mail karmic@...