Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] OT - What is this Bird?

  • Linda Brandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      You're welcome, and thanks for saying so.  I was not sure about posting with it being off-topic.
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] OT - What is this Bird?
        According to my Sibley Guide to Birds (National Audubon Society), the Groove-billed Ani gets up into Texas from Mexico, and the Smooth-billed Ani gets up into the southern tip of Florida.

        Carie Nixon, Illinois, USA

        Thanks, Rainer.  After Cyril replied with that answer, I looked it up in my Encyclopedia of Birds, but only see a "Groove-billed" Ani (Crotophaga sulcirostris) listed.  It is very similar, but does actually show grooves in the upper mandible.  It says those ones are from SW USA to N South America.  I'm wondering if they meant SE USA?  It is interesting that they "breed communally, with up to 4 pairs building a bulky cup nest in a thorn bush or tree.  All the birds share the duties of incubation and feeding the chicks, and young birds of previous broods may help to feed later broods."

        Linda
        Linda, it is a Smoothbilled Ani (Crotophaga ani).  Rainer.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Linda Brandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] OT - What is this Bird?
          Thanks, Carrie.  I'm glad to find I wasn't the only person interested in this bird.  Terry, I'm sorry for the OT.
          Linda