Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Spangle mutation in Forpus coelestis?

  • rainer erhart
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004

      June, no it is not a GreyGreen, but the photo is perhaps just a little darker than it should have been.  Also, not all the edging is as pronounced as on the bird  pictured; in some it is quite subtle.  Important to note is that it does not change with age.  It is interesting that your split birds do not show the edging even though the two splits I got from you did throw some edged birds.  Unfortunately I did not keep records at the time not thinking of a possible connection with Pastel.  This matter obviously needs a bit more input.  Rainer.

      >From: June DiCiocco <jdiciocco@...>
      >To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Spangle mutation in Forpus coelestis?
      >Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:02:48 -0400
      >
      >For what it is worth I raise the Pastels and have not seen any
      >'spangled' birds in the splits or the visuals.
      >Rainer the picture you showed looked like a grey-green male . Correct or
      >no ?
      >
      >June
      >

      >rainer erhart wrote:
      >

      > > >From: MysteryPickles@...
      > > >To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Spangle mutation in Forpus
      > > coelestis?
      > > >Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:54:06 EDT

      > > It seems
      > > with.
      > > > >

      > > >So can it be said that a split pastel is a visual split mutation
      > > (similiar to
      > > >a split orangefaced roseicollis)? Does this edging always show up in
      > > split
      > > >pastels, or only occasionally? I do have a couple birds from a mating
      > > of 2 split
      > > >pastel birds, it would be nice to have an educated guess at whether
      > > the
      > > >normal offspring are also split pastel or not.  I am not positive if
      > > we can make that assumption.  Perhaps we can have some input from
      > > others who have worked with Pastels and have observed and quantified
      > > the results.  I nolonger breed Pastels and we would have to rely on
      > > observations from other breeders. Rainer.
      > > >
      > > >Nicole
      > > >Mystery Pickles Parrots
      > > >Coconut Creek, FL

    • William Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
        June and Ranier,
        I just weaned a clutch of six from two split Pastel parents, I have no Pastels from this clutch but I do have three chicks that have a definite edging to their feathers, I will hold back one of the chicks for test breeding with a Pastel to ascertain if the edging shows that it is a split Pastel.

        William

        June, no it is not a GreyGreen, but the photo is perhaps just a little darker than it should have been.  Also, not all the edging is as pronounced as on the bird  pictured; in some it is quite subtle.  Important to note is that it does not change with age.  It is interesting that your split birds do not show the edging even though the two splits I got from you did throw some edged birds.  Unfortunately I did not keep records at the time not thinking of a possible connection with Pastel.  This matter obviously needs a bit more input.  Rainer.

        >From: June DiCiocco <jdiciocco@...>
        >To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Spangle mutation in Forpus coelestis?
        >Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:02:48 -0400
        >
        >For what it is worth I raise the Pastels and have not seen any
        >'spangled' birds in the splits or the visuals.
        >Rainer the picture you showed looked like a grey-green male . Correct or
        >no ?
        >
        >June
        >

        >rainer erhart wrote:
        >

        > > >From: MysteryPickles@...
        > > >To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
        > > >Subject: Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Spangle mutation in Forpus
        > > coelestis?
        > > >Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:54:06 EDT

        > > It seems
        > > with.
        > > > >

        > > >So can it be said that a split pastel is a visual split mutation
        > > (similiar to
        > > >a split orangefaced roseicollis)? Does this edging always show up in
        > > split
        > > >pastels, or only occasionally? I do have a couple birds from a mating
        > > of 2 split
        > > >pastel birds, it would be nice to have an educated guess at whether
        > > the
        > > >normal offspring are also split pastel or not.  I am not positive if
        > > we can make that assumption.  Perhaps we can have some input from
        > > others who have worked with Pastels and have observed and quantified
        > > the results.  I nolonger breed Pastels and we would have to rely on
        > > observations from other breeders. Rainer.
        > > >
        > > >Nicole
        > > >Mystery Pickles Parrots
        > > >Coconut Creek, FL

      • Linda Brandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004

          Nicole,
          This may be true about the feathering of an opaline Roseicollis being thicker and longer, but I also find that pieds and dilutes have thicker down.  Once you have combined either of those mutations to the opalines, it can be misleading as to what splits are involved.
          Linda Brandt

          I find that in Opaline Roseicollis you can tell the split males in the nest, because, like the visual Opalines, the down feathering (both first and secondary) is longer and far more dense then non-opaline babies. When you see them side-by-side, there is no doubt that there is a difference.
          Nicole
          Mystery Pickles Parrots

          Coconut Creek, FL

        • MysteryPickles@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
            In a message dated 7/2/04 9:51:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lbrandt@... writes:

            This may be true about the feathering of an opaline Roseicollis being thicker and longer, but I also find that pieds and dilutes have thicker down.  Once you have combined either of those mutations to the opalines, it can be misleading as to what splits are involved.

            That is definately interesting! I'll need to pay closer attention to clutches with dilutes and pieds! Thanks for pointing that out. :)

            Nicole
            Mystery Pickles Parrots

            Coconut Creek, FL