Progress report

  • nick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hi guys -

      just a quick one:

      - all orders for G40 received during this week are now ready for shipping
      and will be in the mail early tomorrow morning

      - assembly pictorial is almost done with phase 4,5 and 6 now
      available online (start here http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/1assemblyG40 and
      follow the bottom link)

      - schematic diagram of G40 and assembly manual should be ready for download
      over the weekend, link to follow

      - in this batch we use slightly thicker Cu wire; enamel coated 0.9mm / 200C
      which is close fit into PCB holes. Strip/scrape enamel first, insert through hole
      then tin/solder.

      - we had to drill few extra holes on PCB to accommodate new RCA connectors.
      Also you will notice one trace being cut - pleased don't panic- that's OK !

      - white PU BNC connector is now replaced with new solid metal body BNC.
      You'll love it!

      - PA coils and transformer:  follow the winding instructions and expect at least
      6 to 8W out. It is possible to squeeze much more, but please remember that
      heat sink is really designed for 5W only.

      - to connect G40 to PC you will need 2 audio cables with 3.5mm RCA stereo plugs.
      Also if your PC does not have serial (COM) port then  serial to USB adapter is required.
      We have tested number of generic and inexpensive adapters and they all worked fine.
      (You will need to set COM port settings in SDR software).

      - remember: to get most fun out of your G40 good sound card is highly recommended !

      Finally, thanks to all who took time to write. Your feedback, comments and suggestions is truly appreciated.

      73 and happy homebrewing!
      Nick VK1AA