E-MU 0204 Popping Sound

  • Joel Black
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4 6:18 AM
      First, I want to make sure I have the G59 hooked up correctly to the EMU
      0204:

      KP5 goes to "Inputs" on the back of the 0204?

      I followed the wiring diagram here:

      I have my left channel going into "L-mic" (1/8" socket) and my right
      channel going into "R - Hi-Z / Line" (1/4" socket). I am *not* using
      the XLR connection for my left channel.

      All I get is a popping noise that pulses. I can record and attach if
      needed. I get this noise whether the G59 is connected or not.

      Thanks,
      Joel - W4JBB
    • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4 6:26 AM
        Nope, you didn't quite follow my diagram.

        On the emu-0204, you use  TWO   1/4" plugs.

        You CANNOT use the 3.5mm ( 1/8") input!

        Bruce

        Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 9:18 AM
        Subject: [GenesisRadio] E-MU 0204 Popping Sound

        First, I want to make sure I have the G59 hooked up correctly to the EMU
        0204:

        KP5 goes to "Inputs" on the back of the 0204?

        I followed the wiring diagram here:

        I have my left channel going into "L-mic" (1/8" socket) and my right
        channel going into "R - Hi-Z / Line" (1/4" socket). I am *not* using
        the XLR connection for my left channel.

        All I get is a popping noise that pulses. I can record and attach if
        needed. I get this noise whether the G59 is connected or not.

        Thanks,
        Joel - W4JBB

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======
      • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4 6:28 AM
          Yes, KP5 goes to soundcard inputs.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4 6:28 AM
            I should add that hear a slight "crackle" if I am in speaker properties
            for the EMU 0204 and run the "Test" button. It is ever so slight, but
            it is there. I get the crackle and the previously mentioned noise
            whether the ground lift is open or closed.

            W4JBB

            On 7/4/2011 8:18 AM, Joel Black wrote:
            > First, I want to make sure I have the G59 hooked up correctly to the EMU
            > 0204:
            >
            > KP5 goes to "Inputs" on the back of the 0204?
            >
            > I followed the wiring diagram here:

            > I have my left channel going into "L-mic" (1/8" socket) and my right
            > channel going into "R - Hi-Z / Line" (1/4" socket). I am *not* using
            > the XLR connection for my left channel.
            >
            > All I get is a popping noise that pulses. I can record and attach if
            > needed. I get this noise whether the G59 is connected or not.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Joel - W4JBB

            > -----
            > No virus found in this message.

            Joel

            "Common sense is like deodorant...
            Those who need it most don't use it."
            --Unknown
          • Joel Black

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4 7:04 AM
                Ok, I have retested.

                With Bruce's help, I realized that the XLR connector on the back of the 0204 will accept a 1/4" plug for the left channel.  Thanks, Bruce.

                Even after fixing that, I still have the pulsing noise.  Listening around on 75m this morning, the audio is distorted enough that it makes listening a chore.  Again, it is a pulsing, crackling/buzzing noise (it sounds more like a buzzing noise when it's mixed with the 75m audio).

                I tested with the stereo line-in on my Realtek card and that noise is not there, so it is something I have set in the 0204 I am sure.

                I am using two mono plugs for L and R, not two stereo plugs.  I will correct this and report back.

                thanks,

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 4 7:18 AM
                  the input gain controls on 0204 should be set fully counterclockwise to start with.

                  the two mono plugs are ok on 0204, however you may have trouble getting rid of ground-loops

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4 8:15 AM
                    I was trying to record the sound and attach it so someone with more experience might be able to tell me what I'm hearing.  Unfortunately, I cannot get the Windows sound recorder to record the input to the 0204.  I also tried the sound recorder in GSDR and it doesn't record the sound either.

                    I'm just going to try this with stereo plugs and see what happens.  What I have now isn't working.

                    W4JBB

                  Message 9 of 18 , Jul 4 9:18 AM
                    If you disconnect the input cable to 0204.
                    And listen to "nothing" through the speakers,
                    is it quiet?
                    Or is it only making noise when connected to G59?

                    Try playing music through it?

                    Also, can you send me a screenshot of GSDR when all connected?

                    Message 10 of 18 , Jul 4 9:39 AM
                      Hi Joel,

                      I can't say that your problem is not a ground loop - but I think it is not. On the other hand, I suspect that you are running the controls fully clockwise rather than counterclockwise. You should not only hear no distortion, you should see and hear nothing.

                      I recommend starting with the input controls about 1 or 2 O'clock. Inject a signal and tune it so it is clearly visible on the screen. Slowly turn down - counterclockwise - the left and right controls until something happens - in one case the noise floor will start to reduce and in the other the injected signal will start to fall in value. This signifies best signal to noise ratio. I don't know exactly where it will happen on your unit, but I think very close to the first gradation to the left of 12 O'clock. That is where you want to be if I properly interpret the several pictures I have seen of the 0202, which is supposed to be like the 0204 but maybe not quite as good.
                      Ralph, K5RD
                    • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                      Message 11 of 18 , Jul 4 9:58 AM
                        With that particular 0204 the best SNR was around 9'oclock.

                        However with 0202 and 0204, this is a very small difference from fully counterclockwise.

                        As a matter of fact, I ran it, and my 0202's with the controls ALWAYS at fully-counterclockwise position it made so little difference.

                        Makes for easier set-up, especially the first go at it.

                        All the 0202's I've had preform very well this way.

                        Message 12 of 18 , Jul 4 10:54 AM
                          Radio Shack happened to be open this Independence Day, so I went and bought two 1/4" stereo jacks and installed them with no change.

                          Disconnecting from KP5 and with GSDR running and the radio started (but disconnected from audio), I get the same noise - a pulsing, buzzing/crackling noise.

                          I am currently listening to a song with the speakers connected to the stereo output on the 0204 with no noise.  I am also listening with the headphones on the front with no noise.  Other than it needing an equalizer, it sounds great.

                          Here are screenshots from my setup:

                          Main GSDR screen (L and R input at fully CCW; 0204 input volume slider set to 100 in sound setup).  Every horizontal line you see is the "noise" about which I'm speaking:

                          Audio setup:

                          W4JBB

                          Message 13 of 18 , Jul 4 11:17 AM
                            What if you disconnect the input cables from the emu? Still do it as long as GSDR is running, but G59 not connected to emu?

                            Are you using the Realtek for output, because you haven't done the TX section yet?

                            Disconnect the USB cable from G59... does that change anything? ( with GSDR running etc.)

                            Check the Realtek WINDOWS mixer settings for PLAYBACK  to make sure that the ONLY THING enabled is the line-output  !!!
                            For the Realtec settings for RECORD, MUTE ALL.

                            Message 14 of 18 , Jul 4 11:20 AM
                              SORRY! I goofed!

                              For the Realtek WINDOWS mixer settings for PLAYBACK  ... should be WAVE ONLY, nothing else !!

                              Message 15 of 18 , Jul 4 11:27 AM
                                ""(L and R input at fully CCW; 0204 input volume slider set to 100 in sound setup)""

                                What happens if slider is set to "1" ?

                                I doubt anything different, because GSDR takes control of this I believe...

                                Bruce

                                =======
                                http://www.pctools.com
                                =======
                              • Joel Black
                                Message 16 of 18 , Jul 4 12:08 PM
                                  I'm still on phase 5 as I await an LC meter (I have some apprehension about the inductor color-code although I have already installed 1/2 dozen or so).  So, no, I have not completed the TX section.

                                  Mmkay...  I'm using Win7 and there is not the "classic" windows mixer settings as in WinXP.  I'm looking though...

                                  Hmm...  problem solved for now.  I started looking at all the USB cables I have going between radio equipment and the computer - especially the SignaLink cable.  The SignaLink USB cable has a toroid at the soundcard.  The 0204 has the toroid at the computer.  I changed out the USB cable from the SignaLink to the 0204 and the noise is gone.

                                  Found something else though (not sound related) - GSDR does not like to be "dragged" up and down in frequency.  You can mouse-wheel it, but I cannot drag it.  I have to shut down GSDR and start it back up.

                                  Now to work on the noise floor a bit.

                                  Thanks all.  Bruce, you deserve a bonus on your next check.  ;)

                                  Joel - W4JBB

                                  Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 1:54 PM

                                • =======
                                  http://www.pctools.com
                                  =======

                                  =======
                                  http://www.pctools.com
                                  =======

                                  Message 17 of 18 , Jul 4 12:16 PM
                                    Ok, so it IS ground loop.

                                    I assumed as much when I saw your GSDR screenshot.

                                    The vertical lines to either side of LO were a giveaway.

                                    My usb cable to the G59 has the Ground cut ( shield ) AT the G59.
                                    Not the best solution, but worked very well.
                                    Had to put the 100nF cap between the shield and G59 ground.

                                    Also, if your computer has as many USB connectors as mine does...
                                    SOME of them have connections to the shield, and some don't!
                                    Look for a USB connector that seems like it has metal folded down into it.
                                    Use that connector IF it is a USB2.0 for EMU

                                    (or try one that isn't)

                                    When we get so many connections to stuff out on the bench, and back to another port on the computer...
                                    ( soundcard and USB cables connected to one unit..)
                                    We invite the nasty ground loop by design.

                                    I'm not sure WHY this happened to you with GSDR running, but no connection to input...
                                    But that would only become clear if I saw your whole setup..

                                    But.... Glad it's solved for now!
                                    Bruce

                                    Message 18 of 18 , Jul 4 12:21 PM
                                      Meant to comment on Win7

                                      It does use the same kind of scheme as XP, but not as obvious as XP for mixer settings.

                                      You have to select all the devices you want to show on the mixer panel one at a time.

                                      OR
                                      Just using the normal Win7 sound control panel ( rightclick on the speaker icon bottom right of window)
                                      You can select and deselect devices etc..

                                      But it sounds like this is not needed now in your setup..... so no worries.

                                      Bruce