Re: To all G59 builders. NOTE: If you are an easily offended person, DELETE this message

  • shaggy_intel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2011
      Nick,

      I also want to thank you for the huge amount of time and effort you put into these kits.

      I'm probably not qualified to give much advice here but as a person who has never built a kit like this before but has successfully made it through Phase 8 of my G59, I thought I'd throw in a few things that have helped me so far.

      - Attention to detail is extremely important. If you don't have that trait, you may want to think twice before attempting this.

      - The online directions with pics are good but not 100% complete. Always cross-check with the parts list and install everything on the parts list even if it's not in the online directions.

      - Use the yahoo group when something doesn't make match or make sense. Searching for the component number will find the answer to your question (at least it has for me so far). Figure it out before soldering anything.

      Brian, KF7ORO

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "n2bha" <n2bha@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > It is impossible. We are all different and our chemistries work differently.
      > >
      > > The same applies to SDR. We all use different hardware, software, sound cards, computers,
      > > drivers, operating systems, test equipment, power supplies, antennas, grounds,
      > > we have different level of experience, different abilities in learning new skills,
      > > or to read / write / express ourselves, different attention to detail
      > > and so on. It is IMPOSSIBLE to write a manual to cover each and every possible scenario
      > > to cover YOUR particular setup. But you can always ask question
      > > and sole purpose of this group it to provide FREE support
      > > enabling you to successfully complete G59.
      > >
      > > Like with sex, we can spend our entire life talking about it,
      > > but it only HAPPENS once you start practicing it.
      > > If you run into a problem then you are most welcome to post your question here.
      > > We may or may not have an answer straight away, but if you are patient
      > > you will get on air and yes, your G59 will work.
      > > Hundreds of builders form all corners of the world successfully completed building theirs and got on air.
      > > Actually unlike any other SDR kit, Genesis kits not only work but perform exceptionally well.
      > > So well that a few builders have won first or top places in the QRP category
      > > of some of the world's largest contests using Genesis radios.
      > >
      > > Of course, Genesis is not about crossing some imaginary final line, it's more of a journey
      > > where you learn new stuff all the time.
      > > Yes, this will be a great disappointment to appliance operators
      > > or for those who only built 'analog' radios like Elecraft, Juma and Glowbugs (or whatever).
      > > I am talking form my own, personal experience!
      > >
      > > I've said this before, but some people won't listen. Here it is, again:
      > >
      > > If you run into a problem, then take your time to explain in detail about
      > > - your PC, drivers, sound cards, cabling, SDR settings, etc
      > > - what exactly is your issue?
      > > - what have you done so far to solve it?
      > > - what do you expect us to help you with?
      > > - does our help make sense to you or not?
      > >
      > > Don't worry about grammar - majority of our subscribers come from
      > > non-English speaking countries. And blessed eloquent ones rarely post anyway.
      > >
      > > Being emotional about the project is counterproductive.
      > > If you are stressed out, walk away and come back in a week or two.
      > > If it is too difficult, then there is no shame to admit defeat.
      > >
      > > Like surfing or paragliding or playing a saxophone, SDR and
      > > Genesis kits are NOT FOR EVERYONE. We offer a very special
      > > form of amateur radio enjoyment - and quite frankly we are proud of that fact!
      > >
      > > If you can find a better through-hole SDR kit for less money, please do let me know
      > > because I will immediately shut down our project and buy one or tow.
      > >
      > > Until then, enjoy your G59 and be proud of the fact that you have joined
      > > very special group of builders supported by bunch of very clever guys who
      > > put their precious time and effort for your benefit, absolutely free of charge.

    • Laurentino Silva
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 10:52 AM
        That´s a good one Nick.
        Keep up the excellent work for the Ham radio hobby, the G59 + Gpa10 is working well and is recommended from Portugal.
          73 for you and the whole community

        Laurentino Silva

        ct2kcg/qrp

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15 2:38 AM
          I have been reading through these messages and learning a lot, but dont you think you could have used another analogy? SEX to electronics, you are to far gone on this one. LOL.

        • dma@conwaycorp.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15 6:16 AM

            I thought Nick's analogy was rather insightful myself.  Doesn't SDR seem to have a mind of its own at times?  And few of us are ever the complete master of it, with something new to learn at every turn.  It wasn't half bad, actually.

            Milo, KF5GCF

            This message was sent using Conway Corporation WebMail -- www.conwaycorp.com