Re: [GenesisRadio] G59 beta #19, phase 3 problem

  • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011

      Have you updated the firmware, and tried to change frequencies yet?

      Do that first, before you worry about it.

      What frequency counter are you using?
      And what is it's maximum rated frequency?

      I believe the last person that posted something similar, was using a freq counter that was
      not suitable and was giving false readings...

      but you should see  56.320mhz divided by 4 at R12G.
      In order to see 56.320mhz there, the divider would not be operating,,,, but
      even then I would not think you would see that frequency at R12G...

      Seems odd.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011

        Uploaded new firmware, no problem 1.0.7.

        Yes, changed bands, frequency changes on R12G. But they appear to be 4x higher. I agree its odd. :-/
        Voltage on R12g is stil 3.6v

        Heathkit IM-2410 counter. Goes up to 225MHz. I checked last night with my spectrum analyzer it goes up to 1GHz and it read about the same, so I figure the counter is close.

        fred
        ka7mop

        Well after months away, I've finally been able to get back on track with kit building.

        I have run into a problem during phase 3, and can't seem to track it down.

        After checking the archives, it looked like someone was having a similar problem, but I didn't see the resolution posted.

        Si570 - voltages and frequency match up per directions. pin 1 has 3v on it but that's not suppose to be an issue.

        R5G = .083v

        IC2g - voltages are correct.

        When I check voltage and frequency on R12g I show the following:

        3.25v
        56.32Mhz

        Thanks in advance,
        Fred
        ka7mop

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

      • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
          I assume that you get the same readings at the Si570 as you do at the R12G resistor?

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011

            Yep.

            I checked readings at pins 4 & 5 on the Si570 and at R12G.

            80m - 14.99MHz
            40m - 28.6MHz
            20m - 57.52MHz
            10m - 113MHz

            I did noticed that the frequency on the Si570 pins 4 & 5 are rock stable, and at first they were stable and almost identical on R12G. But, after a few minutes they start to dance around fairly rapidly on R12G by a couple MHz up and down from center.

            So is the reference frequency divided by IC3GA?
            I have installed a 74LVC4066D at that location. Correct? Different from picture.
            Maybe a cold soldier joint or weak component? I can try touching them up tomorrow. To late for things that small tonight.

            I'm surprised you're still up Bruce. But things get quiet at night.
            Sorry about the bad luck. The worst part about losing your computer is, trying to get back to where you were, never quite the same.

            Have a good Evening!

            fred

          • vk2dx@clockmaker.com.au
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
              Wrong ic. Install 74lvc74 which is a divider, not 4066
              Nick vk2dx

            • Fred Wilde
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011

                Okay Nick, thanks. That would make a difference. Kinda why I threw it out there after thinking about it.

                I have one labeled 249F4LK LVC74A.
                Would that be the correct one?

                I checked that IC at least 3 times before installing, wanted to ask but didn't. That was the dumb mistake.

                By the way you guys are great. This group has come such a long way since I started.

                fred

                Wrong ic. Install 74lvc74 which is a divider, not 4066
                Nick vk2dx

              • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
                  Yup, that would do it alright!

                  the correct Ic will help...

                  Up late?

                  My  usual schedule is bed by 1:30am, up at 7am.

                  These days, with my wife off fighting fires, my 'own' time comes after 9pm  Smile

                  Bruce

                  fredwilde@...>

                  =======
                  http://www.pctools.com
                  =======
                • Fred Wilde
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2011

                    Bingo!

                    Phase 3 problem resolved.

                    Ok, got the IC replaced last night and everything appears to be good and tests as it should.

                    In phase 4, firmware updated, and tests all went well, although I am showing 13v across the pins on both SV1PA and SV2PA.
                    Would that be an acceptable voltage?

                    Let me also say that, removing and reinstalling those surface mount components, and getting things to work correctly has increased my confidence in building this kit.

                    I also don't know if you gentlemen realize how much I myself, and the probably the other builders appreciate your help. After you get used to answering all the questions, it probably becomes a little old for you (especially Bruce & Nick). I think it goes a long way in keeping many of the these kits from becoming spare parts.

                    As I see others becoming involved, responding and adding elements, it really strengthens the project too.

                    Working on phase 5 now!

                    Thanks again,
                    fred
                    ka7mop