Re: [GenesisRadio] QRS2 Parts

  • YU1OL - Bratislav Miljkovic
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi Milo,

      > Secondly, the L8 inductor is specified on the BOM as 470 nH, and
      > .47 uH on the schematic (I hate nano-anything). But the only
      > inductor not otherwise accounted for is a 470 micro-henry (yel, pur,

      The real value of inductor L8 is 0.47 uH (470 nH). C47, R20, C42 and L8 make Diplexer.
      L8 and C48 form the resonant circuit at the IF frequency. Even without Diplexer,
      You will have good results. If you do not have adequate L8, Do not install the R20
      (this is the simplest way to exclude Diplexer from the circuit).

      Best regards,
      Bat, YU1OL
    • dma@conwaycorp.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011

        Yeah, I know they are the same.  I was just making note of the two different nomenclatures.  I guess I'll have to wait until Nick gets back to confirm which is correct.  I'm guessing .47 uH makes more sense than half a mH.  At the moment, I can accurately measure everything except inductance.  There is an outside chance it was mis-banded.  However, just yesterday I received a PIC-based LC meter kit from Almost All Digital Electronics. It is supposed to be one of the best kits.  Soon as I get it put together, I can verify the inductor. I'm sure I could throw together some kind of "breadboard" test.  But need the LC meter anyway.

        73, Milo

        Quoting Bruce Greenleaf   KF1Z <kf1z@...>:

        > I know nothing of the QRS2 :-)
        >
        > BUT, I DO know that 0.47uH and 470nH  are the same thing.
        >
        > I likely have 470nH, but I won't have 470uH
        >
        > I would not have the trimmers either.
        >
        > Bruce

        This message was sent using Conway Corporation WebMail -- www.conwaycorp.com

      • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
          Nope, you don't have to wait !

          Bat, YU1OL  said it's 470nH...  he knows what it should be.
          I THINK he designed it?

          See his reply.....

          IF you need one I can certainly send it....

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011

            Hi Bat,

            Thanks.  I missed your reply before I replied to Bruce.  I don't understand enough (any) of what the circuit does to know what effect not having the "diplexer" would be.  I am not in any hurry, as I am not currently working on it.  I'll try to remember to order one the next time I have to order some parts.  I want to get some PCB pins anyway.

            Milo,

            KF5GCF

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
              On the AADE LC meter.

              It's ok meter.

              HOWEVER, you must be very meticulous how you measure, especially low inductance values...

              The leads of the measured component must contact the posts at the EXACT same lenghts as the shorting lead you use to calibrate.

              it is sensitive to this, as you will see.

              Very very touchy, but once you play for a while, you will see how to take each measurement in relatively good accuracy/

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011

                Bruce, Yes, I had missed Bat's reply when I replied to you.  Just to confirm that I am reading the bands correctly.  The inductor I have is Yel, Pur, Brn, which I take to be 470 uH.  Since the correct value is 470 nH (or .47 uH) then I guess I need one.  If you can send it, I would appreciate it greatly.  You probably still have my address, but here it is again:

                Milo Austin

                108 Shamrock Dr.

                Conway, AR  72034

                thanks

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
                  yup, should be yel, pur, silver for 470nh

                  Ill get one out to you

                  Bruce, Yes, I had missed Bat's reply when I replied to you.  Just to confirm that I am reading the bands correctly.  The inductor I have is Yel, Pur, Brn, which I take to be 470 uH.  Since the correct value is 470 nH (or .47 uH) then I guess I need one.  If you can send it, I would appreciate it greatly.  You probably still have my address, but here it is again:

                  Milo Austin

                  108 Shamrock Dr.

                  Conway, AR  72034

                  thanks

                  Quoting Bruce Greenleaf   KF1Z <kf1z@...>:

                  > Nope, you don't have to wait !
                  >
                  > Bat, YU1OL  said it's 470nH...  he knows what it should be.
                  > I THINK he designed it?
                  >
                  > See his reply.....
                  >

                  > IF you need one I can certainly send it....
                  >
                  > Bruce

                • paulwijnand
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
                    Hello all,

                    I used a SMD 470 nanoHenry.
                    This part was easy to obtain, the old ones with wires are not available here hi.
                    So solder in 2 wires just long enough to put the SMD between it and solder it.
                    You can even glue the SMD part to the pCB if you like.

                    Cheerio es 73

                    Paul, pa0ocd

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011

                      Hi Paul,

                      I just had an idea for soldering SMDs in situation like this.  Haven't looked, but I assume the gap is too great for the SMD.  Make a jumper of long bare wire and put it in, bending it tight against the board, and twist the tails together on the back side, but don't solder yet.  Now cut the jumper and bend each end 90 degrees so they are parallel to each other and just wide enough to snugly hold the SMD.  Then solder both the SMD and the through hole, and cut off the twisted tails.  If you did everything just right, it should hold together until soldered.  Might have to use heavier wire than normal.  Haven't had to try it yet, but it just popped into my head.  I'd be interested to see if it works.