New toy: Genesis Q5

  • nick
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi all -

      while awaiting arrival of G59 and new SDR software,
      I convinced Tasa to design a small, simple quartz controlled
      QRP transmitter. If you wonder why in world are we wasting
      our time and resources on something so trivial then
      here is the philosophy behind this project:

      - number of potential Genesis customers
      are drawn to G40/G3020 but still unsure if they could
      assemble kits. For them starting with something very simple
      could be the way to go - and if components are still too small
      or to difficult to identify then at least not much money
      was wasted

      - Q5 will provide almost instant gratification:
      in just 30 minutes (or less) you will have working oscillator
      and in an hour the amplifier section can be completed:
      you'll be ready to go on air and ready for your QRPP contact!

      - components used in Q5 are identical to those in
      our other kits; voltage stabilizator, transistors, IC, capacitors
      resistors and connectors. Also Q5 comes with choice of four QRP frequencies for crystal oscillator
      3.560; 7.030;  10.116 and 14.060 MHz so you can pick the band
      (or you can order all 4 crystals)

      - Q5 will easily provide 500mW - 1W output which is
      more than enough for solid contact over distance of 500Km
      or even much more - if you have efficient antenna.
      If there is sufficient interest, 3W PA with TX/RX control
      can be  produced.

      - Price: since our goal is to use Q5 as promotional kit
      the price is set to US $19.95 + $5 for postage, shipping worldwide.
      Set of 4 crystals is $4 (some QRP crystal vendors are selling single crystal for much more!)
      If you still think this is expensive for a kit, let me just remind you
      that metal BNC connector alone would cost you $5
      and 2N3866 and quality heat sink another $5 or so.
      The PCB is single layer with solder mask and print layout (70 x 55mm)
      and manufactured by same company that makes all other PCBs.
      Overall, we do not expect to make any profit on Q5
      so our reward is to make you happy :-)

      Today, very first Q5 went on air, assembled by Josh, VK2FJDX.
      Currently we have 30m and 80m crystal in stock (20m and 40m will be available
      very soon).

      If you are interested to try out our new toy and show the world
      what can be achieved with less than 1W power
      then feel free to place your order.
      $19.95 for the ENTIRE KIT, as per photo including 1 crystal of your choice

      Extras:

      $4 for set of 4 crystals
      $5 for additional PCB

      $5 for postage (worldwide).
      Paypal OK. Delivery 10 days.

      For more photos go to

      73 Nick VK1AA

    • Delta
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009

        Dear Nick
        Just a short question - is Q5 able to work in PSK31 mode?
        I am interested in this kit.

        Serg
        Singapore

        New Email names for you!
        Hurry before someone else does!
      • nick
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
          sorry - CW only

        • petrich_john
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
            Nick and all,

            It would seem to me that the Q5, with a supplement to the schematic and instructions, would do double duty in the radio shack not only as a QRP CW transmitter but also as a low level signal source that is useful in early test and alignment phases of any of the Genesis radio kits.

            So many hams have limited test equipment: DMM, power supply, another receiver... that a basic signal source (signal generator)like the Q5 would help fill out the complement of equipment that makes kit building successful.

            Regards,
            John Petrich, W7FU