Builder's notice (please read!)

  • nick
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 9:19 PM
      Hi -

      just a couple of clarification, based on questions received from builders:

      1. the inventory list is located here: http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/inventory.doc
      and this information is provided in letter that came with your kit
      If you are not a member of Yahoogroup then you could have easily missed this.
      Sorting the parts according to build phases is not necessary but it does help.

      2. our downloadable instruction manual is in .doc format so you can click and enlarge
      all images to very high resolution, including pcb details.
      Also 4F1BYN was kind enough to convert doc files itno .pdf
      which are much more suitable for print and you can find them here:

       330R resistor is shown as being placed in position of 470nH choke and that's OK.
       (470nH is installed in some other G** monoband models but in 40m version
      it is replaced with 330R resistor).

      4. it is OK to have 'wrong' voltages on NE5532 after the phase 3 and before wiring
      in the last phase. However once  all wires are connected, the voltage reading on
      all NE5532 should be identical.

      5. close-up of assembled board is here  http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/hires.jpg
      so you can check / compare your
      PCB with this one. NOTE: connecting wires are not visible
      (my wiring is at the bottom side of PCB)

      6. Phase 3: make sure to do  "VK6IC fix 1" mod -

      7. Image rejection: if you notice that during the image rejection adjustment
      you are actually rejecting SIGNAL instead of it's image then you have
      swapped I and Q channels.
      Under Winrad that that's an easy "fix": just click on Show Option -> Swap I and Q channels
      However if you are using Power SDR then you need to swap two hot
      wires which go into LINE IN  of your sound card (you need to physically cut,
      swap  and re-solder those 2 wires).

      8. Phase 2: voltage on pin 11 and 12 are around 2.5V but signal is not
      detected on second ('big radio')
      receiver. Most likely your oscillator is working fine but the signal is not
      strong enough to be detected.
      Insert a piece of wire 2-3 m long into receiver's antenna
      jack and you'll hear it.

      9. Fore those of you interested in using G40 for PSK and other digi modes
      please have a look at YT1DL's  tutorial about SDR and DIGI located at
       http://yt1dl.veze.net/sdr.html . Dusan's radio is Avala - a predecessor of G40 -
      so most of the setting are directly applicable to G40.

      73 Nick VK1AA
    • dean_mccavitt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2009
        I'm building the G40 (kit#38) and need a clarification on item 3 in your list.
        The board is marked for a 470 nH choke but 8assemblyG40.html shows a 330 Ohm resister in its place. 8assemblyG40.html is correct, even though the board is marked for a 470 nH choke. Right? If so, is the parts inventory correct or will I have to provide my own 330 Ohm resistor?

        73 Dean KD8CRN

        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "nick" <nick@...> wrote:

        > Hi -
        >
        > just a couple of clarification, based on questions received from builders:
        >
        > 1. the inventory list is located here: http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/inventory.doc
        > and this information is provided in letter that came with your kit
        > If you are not a member of Yahoogroup then you could have easily missed this.
        > Sorting the parts according to build phases is not necessary but it does help.
        >
        > 2. our downloadable instruction manual is in .doc format so you can click and enlarge
        > all images to very high resolution, including pcb details.
        > Also 4F1BYN was kind enough to convert doc files itno .pdf
        > which are much more suitable for print and you can find them here:
        >
        > 3. Phase 8 http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/8assemblyG40.html
        > 330R resistor is shown as being placed in position of 470nH choke and that's OK.
        > (470nH is installed in some other G** monoband models but in 40m version
        > it is replaced with 330R resistor).
        >
        > 4. it is OK to have 'wrong' voltages on NE5532 after the phase 3 and before wiring
        > in the last phase. However once all wires are connected, the voltage reading on
        > all NE5532 should be identical.
        >
        > 5. close-up of assembled board is here http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/hires.jpg
        > so you can check / compare your
        > PCB with this one. NOTE: connecting wires are not visible
        > (my wiring is at the bottom side of PCB)
        >
        > 6. Phase 3: make sure to do "VK6IC fix 1" mod -
        > see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GenesisRadio/files/ .
        >
        > 7. Image rejection: if you notice that during the image rejection adjustment
        > you are actually rejecting SIGNAL instead of it's image then you have
        > swapped I and Q channels.
        > Under Winrad that that's an easy "fix": just click on Show Option -> Swap I and Q channels
        > However if you are using Power SDR then you need to swap two hot
        > wires which go into LINE IN of your sound card (you need to physically cut,
        > swap and re-solder those 2 wires).
        >
        > 8. Phase 2: voltage on pin 11 and 12 are around 2.5V but signal is not
        > detected on second ('big radio')
        > receiver. Most likely your oscillator is working fine but the signal is not
        > strong enough to be detected.
        > Insert a piece of wire 2-3 m long into receiver's antenna
        > jack and you'll hear it.
        >
        > 9. Fore those of you interested in using G40 for PSK and other digi modes
        > please have a look at YT1DL's tutorial about SDR and DIGI located at
        > http://yt1dl.veze.net/sdr.html . Dusan's radio is Avala - a predecessor of G40 -
        > so most of the setting are directly applicable to G40.
        >
        > 73 Nick VK1AA

      • nick
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2009
          HI Dean -

          the 330R resistor should be in your resistors bag.
          Place it into PCB instead of 470nH choke (the choke is not supplied).

          GL! 73 Nick