Re: G3017??

  • petrich_john
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
      Dan,

      Modifying the Genesis boards to operate any of the HF ham bands is relatively straight forward and should be fun to do. Not a dumb question. I have my G-40 making QSO's on all bands from 160 to 10 meters, including 17 meters. Posted the results on this message board about a week ago. Just look back and you'll find it.

      Two modification are required to expand the operating range of these Genesis boards. One modification is to delete the standard on board low pass filter and substitute a low pass filter for the band you want to operate. The transmitter absolutely requires a low pass filter to meet FCC emission purity regulations. The receiver doesn't require a low pass filter to "work". Anyway, a new LP filter is a must.

      The second modification is to provide a stable LO drive signal at 4X the desired operating frequency and at about a 10+ dBm drive level into the 74HC74 flip flops. The LO drive can come from a crystal oscillator or a signal generator or a PLL chip, etc. You're choice. I remove the power from the hex inverter when using an outboard LO to stop the onboard oscillator from oscillating and creating havoc with the flip flops. An oscilloscope is helpful here to make certain that the LO drive level is sufficient to make the flip flops generate a square wave at the desired frequency of operation.

      That is it. You can email me at petrich@... if you have additional questions. I'd encourage you to take the plunge.

      Regards,
      John Petrich, W7FU