Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: G3020 questions.

  • Ron Spicuzza
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
      Fred, 170ma is what I get. My question is what do you get while
      transmitting. I still don't know if my 3020 is working now or not.

      Thanks

      Ron
      KB3EDF

      At 08:14 PM 8/31/2009, you wrote:
      >Fred Moore wrote:
      > > Finally found time to get back to the build of a G2030. Only to run up
      > > against a problem.
      > >
      > > Problem, can't null out the opposite sideband
      > >
      > > I am working with the 10.125Mhz osc.
      > >
      > > When I transmit 10.117 Mhz I can easily see both the upper and lower
      > > mixing products.
      > > Also note the are on the correct frequency's
      > >
      > > This tells me that much is working as expected. When sending CW on the
      > > external xcvr the note is crisp and clean
      > > into a dummy load.
      > >
      > > NE5532 all voltage are symmetrical inputs are at 5.8 volts on all
      > > chips, outputs are around the same voltage
      > > 500 ohm parallel resistor initially set for 150 ohms.
      > >
      > > +5 volts rail is 5.01 volts, 2.5 volt rail is 2.4 volts.
      > >
      > > When I switch S1 I can clearly see a 20 db difference in the noise floor
      > > on the software
      > >
      > > Some things come to mind?
      > >
      > > What happens when the 3020 is over powered? Does the opposite sideband
      > > appear
      > > I assume so as the opposite sideband reject is only 50-60 db or so.
      > >
      > > It could be that the radio is seeing too much power at the input, but
      > > don't think this is the case. I don't have any antenna hooked to it.
      > > Could be its time to dust off the old military signal generator if this
      > > is the case..
      > >
      > > The noise floor with this crappy sound 48K sound card is around 100db.
      > > The peak signals (mixing products) are at 35db
      > >
      > > So whats the group thoughts.. All welcome..
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.. Fred/WD8KNI
      > >

      >Forgot one more thing, the current draw for the board at this point is
      >135ma.. Fred
      >
      >--
      >Lots of soaring generalities, without a single hard fact in sight. Saves
      >the trouble of having to do research.
      >Fred/WD8KNI

      Ron Spicuzza
      23180 Piney Wood Circle
      California, MD 20619
      (301) 862-3130
    • Fred Moore
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
        Not to that point yet, still getting the receiver up and running. Will
        let you know
        after its running. your 170 sounds about right. I only have 1/2 the
        chips installed
        at this point in the checkout. Thanks.. Ron.

        Perhaps someone will give me their thoughts this evening.. Today I
        started thinking
        what would happen if the soundcard input was mono instead of stereo as
        required..
        I am going to check that out this evening.. I am using the built in chip
        set from a MB that
        is about 5 years old.. I know I have the problem with my ThinkPad of
        the mic input being mono
        with a stereo chipset installed on the MB..
        thanks.. Fred

        --
        Lots of soaring generalities, without a single hard fact in sight. Saves
        the trouble of having to do research.
        Fred/WD8KNI
      • nick
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
          Hi Fred -
          if you see 40-50dB difference between signal and it's image then you are fine.
          Under the real band condition this means that image of S9 signal will be barely visible
          but image of S9+40 dB will be still S7-8.
          At this stage of SDR development to null-out image completely is simply not possible - not even with $3K SDR hardware.

          Ron : re TX  current see Taka's photo:

          73 Nick

          At 08:14 PM 8/31/2009, you wrote:
          >Fred Moore wrote:
          > > Finally found time to get back to the build of a G2030. Only to run up
          > > against a problem.
          > >
          > > Problem, can't null out the opposite sideband
          > >
          > > I am working with the 10.125Mhz osc.
          > >
          > > When I transmit 10.117 Mhz I can easily see both the upper and lower
          > > mixing products.
          > > Also note the are on the correct frequency's
          > >
          > > This tells me that much is working as expected. When sending CW on the
          > > external xcvr the note is crisp and clean
          > > into a dummy load.
          > >
          > > NE5532 all voltage are symmetrical inputs are at 5.8 volts on all
          > > chips, outputs are around the same voltage
          > > 500 ohm parallel resistor initially set for 150 ohms.
          > >
          > > +5 volts rail is 5.01 volts, 2.5 volt rail is 2.4 volts.
          > >
          > > When I switch S1 I can clearly see a 20 db difference in the noise floor
          > > on the software
          > >
          > > Some things come to mind?
          > >
          > > What happens when the 3020 is over powered? Does the opposite sideband
          > > appear
          > > I assume so as the opposite sideband reject is only 50-60 db or so.
          > >
          > > It could be that the radio is seeing too much power at the input, but
          > > don't think this is the case. I don't have any antenna hooked to it.
          > > Could be its time to dust off the old military signal generator if this
          > > is the case..
          > >
          > > The noise floor with this crappy sound 48K sound card is around 100db.
          > > The peak signals (mixing products) are at 35db
          > >
          > > So whats the group thoughts.. All welcome..
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.. Fred/WD8KNI
          > >

          >Forgot one more thing, the current draw for the board at this point is
          >135ma.. Fred
          >
          >--
          >Lots of soaring generalities, without a single hard fact in sight. Saves
          >the trouble of having to do research.
          >Fred/WD8KNI

          Ron Spicuzza
          23180 Piney Wood Circle
          California, MD 20619
          (301) 862-3130

        • nick
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
            Fred - an easy way to test your G3020 hardware is
            to plug in headphones. If you have ( and hear) both L and R channel than at least there is good chance
            you have distinctive I and Q out. Transmit with external TX around
            10125 and you should be able to hear that signal in headphones roughly from 10115 to 10135.
            If only one channel is audible then you definitely have hardware problem.

            From here it gets bit tricky.

            Let's say you have two distinctive channels but your sound card input is mono.
            On Winrad, you will still see two peaks, and even some minor difference in amplitude.
            However channel swap in Winrad will make no difference and image rejection
            would not be possible. You must have stereo sound card input.
            This is the most common reason why some builders are unable to
            adjust image rejection - the hardware is working fine but either audio cables,
            sound card or settings are not right or suitable for SDR.

            To adjust image rejection with 500 Ohm pot you need to go slowly
            and take in account delay of maybe 1 sec before sound card will react
            to pot adjustment. Trick is to go just one quarter of turn at the time.
            Turn the brass screw and wait, turn a bit more and wait again.
            Do not touch other two 5K trimmers - they are factory adjusted to mid position
            and should stay like that until unit is completed.
            If those pots are way away from 2K5 (mid value) then
            you will have hard time to adjust image rejection with 500 Ohm pot.

            I hope this helps. Let us know how did you go.

            Nick