G40 CW Monitor testing

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi guys,
      Completed this stage now and all tests OK, except turning the know on Y103 ( the 10K pot) makes no difference to the volume. Any suggestions? Or should I leave it as is. The vol sounds fine as it is in my headphones.

      Grant VK4JAZ
    • tom Pawlik
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hi Grant, I just got done with my receiver portion of my G40.
        Adjusting the image rejection didn't reduce the volume of my
        radio.
        Tom KC9TGF
        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Grant" <mcduling@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        > Completed this stage now and all tests OK, except turning the know on Y103 ( the 10K pot) makes no difference to the volume. Any suggestions? Or should I leave it as is. The vol sounds fine as it is in my headphones.
        >
        > Grant VK4JAZ

      • Grant
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
          Hi Tom,

          The image rejection won't reduce the volume of the CW sidetone. That comes later on in the build process. I am stuck there; my sidetone volume doesn't change when I adjust the trimpot. Not sure if I should just forget it and not worry about it or try and sort it out. Meantime I have moved on the the PC RXTX Control and have got stuck there with the test section. When I close SX1 I don't get 0V on Vrx. I get 13.7v. Also I get about 7v with SX1 on at the Vtx check point instead of 13.8v at Vrx. So I am stuck.

          Regards
          Grant VK4JAZ

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tpawlik@...> wrote:

          > Hi Grant, I just got done with my receiver portion of my G40.
          > Adjusting the image rejection didn't reduce the volume of my
          > radio.
          > Tom KC9TGF
          > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Grant" <mcduling@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys,
          > > Completed this stage now and all tests OK, except turning the know on Y103 ( the 10K pot) makes no difference to the volume. Any suggestions? Or should I leave it as is. The vol sounds fine as it is in my headphones.
          > >
          > > Grant VK4JAZ

        • Richard Rogers
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
            Hello Grant,

            I've just had a look at the circuit diagram and it sounds to me as if
            you may have the BD140 the wrong way round. The metal sides of the 139
            & 140 face each other.

            I also found the CW sidetone a bit too loud even and I may change the 1K
            resistor next to the trimpot to 10K.

            --
            73, Ric, VK7RO
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
              Hi Ric,

              My BD140 was a dud. I have bought a replacement and will be fitting it today. Hopefully that will do the trick.

              Grant

              --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Richard Rogers <vk7ro@...> wrote:

              > Hello Grant,
              >
              > I've just had a look at the circuit diagram and it sounds to me as if
              > you may have the BD140 the wrong way round. The metal sides of the 139
              > & 140 face each other.
              >
              > I also found the CW sidetone a bit too loud even and I may change the 1K
              > resistor next to the trimpot to 10K.
              >

              > On 11/29/2010 4:35 PM, Grant wrote:
              > > Hi Tom,
              > >
              > > The image rejection won't reduce the volume of the CW sidetone. That comes later on in the build process. I am stuck there; my sidetone volume doesn't change when I adjust the trimpot. Not sure if I should just forget it and not worry about it or try and sort it out. Meantime I have moved on the the PC RXTX Control and have got stuck there with the test section. When I close SX1 I don't get 0V on Vrx. I get 13.7v. Also I get about 7v with SX1 on at the Vtx check point instead of 13.8v at Vrx. So I am stuck.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Grant VK4JAZ
              >
              > --
              > 73, Ric, VK7RO

            • tom Pawlik
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2010
                Hi Grant, I found that you had to turn that trimmer a lot before you'll
                notice a change in the volume level in the cw monitor.

                BTW, what did you find what was causing your rx/tx test to fail?
                I'm finding that my green led doesn't light up either when I moved my
                13.8 supply source to where the ferit bead is. Also the emitter of bd139
                Doesn't change to 0 when sx1 is on like you found

                Tom kc9tgf
                --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Grant" <mcduling@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ric,
                >
                > My BD140 was a dud. I have bought a replacement and will be fitting it today. Hopefully that will do the trick.
                >
                > Grant
                >
                > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Richard Rogers <vk7ro@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Grant,
                > >
                > > I've just had a look at the circuit diagram and it sounds to me as if
                > > you may have the BD140 the wrong way round. The metal sides of the 139
                > > & 140 face each other.
                > >
                > > I also found the CW sidetone a bit too loud even and I may change the 1K
                > > resistor next to the trimpot to 10K.
                > >

                > > On 11/29/2010 4:35 PM, Grant wrote:
                > > > Hi Tom,
                > > >
                > > > The image rejection won't reduce the volume of the CW sidetone. That comes later on in the build process. I am stuck there; my sidetone volume doesn't change when I adjust the trimpot. Not sure if I should just forget it and not worry about it or try and sort it out. Meantime I have moved on the the PC RXTX Control and have got stuck there with the test section. When I close SX1 I don't get 0V on Vrx. I get 13.7v. Also I get about 7v with SX1 on at the Vtx check point instead of 13.8v at Vrx. So I am stuck.
                > > >
                > > > Regards
                > > > Grant VK4JAZ
                > >
                > > --
                > > 73, Ric, VK7RO

              • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Tom,

                  When you "moved your source", did you replace the wire?

                  I mean, you took away the temporary wire, bu tit must be replaced, by a wire from the same pad, to the 13v rail,

                  Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:21 AM
                  Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: G40 CW Monitor testing

                  Hi Grant, I found that you had to turn that trimmer a lot before you'll
                  notice a change in the volume level in the cw monitor.

                  BTW, what did you find what was causing your rx/tx test to fail?
                  I'm finding that my green led doesn't light up either when I moved my
                  13.8 supply source to where the ferit bead is. Also the emitter of bd139
                  Doesn't change to 0 when sx1 is on like you found

                  Tom kc9tgf
                  --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Grant" <mcduling@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ric,
                  >
                  > My BD140 was a dud. I have bought a replacement and will be fitting it today. Hopefully that will do the trick.
                  >
                  > Grant
                  >
                  > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Richard Rogers <vk7ro@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello Grant,
                  > >
                  > > I've just had a look at the circuit diagram and it sounds to me as if
                  > > you may have the BD140 the wrong way round. The metal sides of the 139
                  > > & 140 face each other.
                  > >
                  > > I also found the CW sidetone a bit too loud even and I may change the 1K
                  > > resistor next to the trimpot to 10K.
                  > >

                  > > On 11/29/2010 4:35 PM, Grant wrote:
                  > > > Hi Tom,
                  > > >
                  > > > The image rejection won't reduce the volume of the CW sidetone. That comes later on in the build process. I am stuck there; my sidetone volume doesn't change when I adjust the trimpot. Not sure if I should just forget it and not worry about it or try and sort it out. Meantime I have moved on the the PC RXTX Control and have got stuck there with the test section. When I close SX1 I don't get 0V on Vrx. I get 13.7v. Also I get about 7v with SX1 on at the Vtx check point instead of 13.8v at Vrx. So I am stuck.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards
                  > > > Grant VK4JAZ
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > 73, Ric, VK7RO