Re: G59 Mk2, Rx BOM vs Schematics

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2010
      Hello Group

      For people who only purchased the PC board there are two problems, the capacitor silk screening and the schematic marked REV1 (see MSG 3966).

      To overcome the misalignment of the silk screen I printed out a much enlarged copy of just the receiver layout titled `Master PCB component placement' and very carefully identified the components. Then I wrote the value of each component on the copy. The capacitors to watch out for are, C6R, C7R, C8R, C11R, C12R and C15R.

      I got my receiver working for the first time yesterday. I used the following resistor values:
      R5R to R8R and R17R, R18R 10k (2K2 shown in BOM for R5R to R8R should be OK)
      R9R, 56R
      R10R, 3K3
      R11R, 470R
      R12R 3K3

      Regarding the schematic, it bears little resemblance to the PC board layout and that is where I had difficulties. It's best to ignore the schematic and concentrate getting the components in the correct location.

      The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't have a problem there.

      How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.

      Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.

      73, Peter VK3BPN
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kovacs <chrisj@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have found some discrepancies regarding the schematics and G59MK2
      > build material lists for the RX section. I also reviewed a note from
      > Tasa regarding the error, but still find that there is a discrepancy.
      >
      > Component BOM Schematic Tasa Note (17 Aug)
      >
      > R11R 330 3k3 3k3
      > R15R 1K 560 3k3
      > R16R 1K 470 470
      > R17R 100 56 56*
      >
      > Additional
      >
      > C16R 220uf 100uf
      > C17R 220uf 100uf
      >
      > C27R Not listed 100uf/25V
      > C28R Not listed 100uf/25V
      >
      > C30 Not listed, not on board 100uf/25V**
      > C31 Not listed,not on board 100uf/25V**
      >
      > * not critical, its its part of R23 Variable resistor circuit.
      > **error in schematic??
      >
      > Can someone address what they should be, especially the R11R, R15R, and
      > R16R components.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >

      > Chris, W0ANM

    • bobaloo7814
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
        Peter, I did pretty much the same, blew the placement diagram up to 11x17", helped a lot. I built mine from the placement diagram and the spreadsheet BOM. My audio gain control is working fine on my MK2 board. The receiver is working very well, I haven't completed the transmitter yet.

        If you have a part you'd like to compare just let me know and I'll check mine.

        Bill
        N0XX/7

        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterc281@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group
        >
        > For people who only purchased the PC board there are two problems, the capacitor silk screening and the schematic marked REV1 (see MSG 3966).
        >
        > To overcome the misalignment of the silk screen I printed out a much enlarged copy of just the receiver layout titled `Master PCB component placement' and very carefully identified the components. Then I wrote the value of each component on the copy. The capacitors to watch out for are, C6R, C7R, C8R, C11R, C12R and C15R.

        > I got my receiver working for the first time yesterday. I used the following resistor values:
        > R5R to R8R and R17R, R18R 10k (2K2 shown in BOM for R5R to R8R should be OK)
        > R9R, 56R
        > R10R, 3K3
        > R11R, 470R
        > R12R 3K3
        >
        > Regarding the schematic, it bears little resemblance to the PC board layout and that is where I had difficulties. It's best to ignore the schematic and concentrate getting the components in the correct location.
        >
        > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't have a problem there.
        >
        > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
        >
        > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
        >
        > 73, Peter VK3BPN
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >

        > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kovacs <chrisj@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I have found some discrepancies regarding the schematics and G59MK2
        > > build material lists for the RX section. I also reviewed a note from
        > > Tasa regarding the error, but still find that there is a discrepancy.
        > >
        > > Component BOM Schematic Tasa Note (17 Aug)
        > >
        > > R11R 330 3k3 3k3
        > > R15R 1K 560 3k3
        > > R16R 1K 470 470
        > > R17R 100 56 56*
        > >
        > > Additional
        > >
        > > C16R 220uf 100uf
        > > C17R 220uf 100uf
        > >
        > > C27R Not listed 100uf/25V
        > > C28R Not listed 100uf/25V
        > >
        > > C30 Not listed, not on board 100uf/25V**
        > > C31 Not listed,not on board 100uf/25V**
        > >
        > > * not critical, its its part of R23 Variable resistor circuit.
        > > **error in schematic??
        > >
        > > Can someone address what they should be, especially the R11R, R15R, and
        > > R16R components.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >

        > > Chris, W0ANM

      • Chris Kovacs
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
          Hi Peter and Group,

          I am also seeing the same issue with the G59 Mk2 AF Preamp not
          working. Any luck in resolving this issue?

          Need updated RX Schematics please..

          Cheers,

          Chris W0ANM

          Peter wrote:

          > From Msg Number 4276:
          >
          > <<STUFF DELETED>>
          >

          > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button
          > is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is
          > operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort
          > out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't
          > have a problem there.
          >
          > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and
          > 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to
          > by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
          >
          > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
          >
          > 73, Peter VK3BPN
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
            I am looking at the board/schematics....

            I believe I'm seeing a trace mistake.....

            What I see right now is a resistor marked R10R on the silkscreen,,,,
            According to the schematic... I think it is R15R,,,,

            But even then I think it goes to the wrong side of R23R+ ( the pot)

            I don't know for sure yet...

            Does anyone agree with this so far?

            Bruce kf1z

            Peter wrote:

            > From Msg Number 4276:
            >
            > <<STUFF DELETED>>
            >

            > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button
            > is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is
            > operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort
            > out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't
            > have a problem there.
            >
            > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and
            > 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to
            > by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
            >
            > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
            >
            > 73, Peter VK3BPN
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Database version: 6.15800

            Database version: 6.15800
          • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
              Also   R9R on the silkscreen is R17R on the schematic.

              Now that means that the "other end" of R15R on the schematic IS connected to the WRONG end of R17R....

              One end of R15R (R10R on the silkscreen) should connect to the junction of C27R1  (C16R on silkscreen) and R17R (R9R on silkscreen.  And the other end to the N/O contact on relay RL1R.

              It does NOT... One end is connected to the N/O contact on relay RL1R and the other is connected to the junction of R17R  (R9R on schem)  and R23R (the pot)

              So I  am convinced this is a trace error that will need modifying....

              Would like some confirmation

              Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:51 AM

              Peter wrote:

              > From Msg Number 4276:
              >
              > <<STUFF DELETED>>
              >

              > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button
              > is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is
              > operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort
              > out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't
              > have a problem there.
              >
              > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and
              > 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to
              > by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
              >
              > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
              >
              > 73, Peter VK3BPN
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Database version: 6.15800

              Database version: 6.15800
            • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
                Never mind my last.......

                (Except for the board silkscreen to schematic component designators.....those are right in my last post.)

                The board traces are correct though.

                What happened is that R17R and R23R are swapped in position from the schematic to the board....
                So I thought it was a mistake in the board....

                SORRY !!

                Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:51 AM

                Peter wrote:

                > From Msg Number 4276:
                >
                > <<STUFF DELETED>>
                >

                > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button
                > is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is
                > operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort
                > out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't
                > have a problem there.
                >
                > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and
                > 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to
                > by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
                >
                > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
                >
                > 73, Peter VK3BPN
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Database version: 6.15800

                Database version: 6.15800

                Database version: 6.15800

                Database version: 6.15800
              • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Now....

                  It also looks like R11R and R16R on the schematic are R11R and R12R on the silkscreen.

                  But I BELIEVE that R11R on the board silkscreen should have the value assigned to R16R on the schematic.

                  Not sure that 3K# is correct for either of them...

                  Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:51 AM

                  Peter wrote:

                  > From Msg Number 4276:
                  >
                  > <<STUFF DELETED>>
                  >

                  > The only problem I have with the receiver now is the AF Preamp button
                  > is not working. The relay RL1R that controls the AF Preamp is
                  > operating but the AF gain is not changing so still something to sort
                  > out. Please let me know if you have solved that one or if you don't
                  > have a problem there.
                  >
                  > How did I come up with the resistor values I used? See MSG# 4157 and
                  > 4166 and from the schematic. I have asked Nick for the data refered to
                  > by Tasa in MSG 4166 but I'm still waiting.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps you sort out your receiver.
                  >
                  > 73, Peter VK3BPN

                  Database version: 6.15800

                  Database version: 6.15800

                  Database version: 6.15800