Re: Sound Card support

  • Sergey Kuzmin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2009
      One of the best and easy for setup EMU0202 USB
      73
      Serge

      > I am trying to get my "computer house" in order to get and build a genesis and have a happy marriage. I was wondering if there was a list of supported sound cards to guide my purchase. I was looking at TURTLE BEACH 3425-01 Riviera 6-Channel PCI Sound Card. Any suggestions about whether this is supported, or what is the best (not much money)to get.
      >
      > Thanks, 73,
      >
      > Kent, KC9LIF

    • nick
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2009
        Hi Kent -

        original sound test instruction is located at http://genesisradio.com.au/help/help1.html
        Due to heavy download I have temporarily disabled sound file (we reached
        our monthly download quota in just 6 days in April) so new file
        is now called cw.zp and if you want to try it you can get it from

        Please note the above setup refers to PowerSRR  V1.61.1 which is receive-only version
        I would recommend you to install full RX/TX version at
        It is important to set SAMPLING RATE to highest rate supported by your sound card
        48000, 96000 or 192000

        The external sound card shown on our new G40 website is E-MU 0202 USB
        I only got this card two days ago and have not had much time to
        play with it but looks like this one is a keeper. With sampling rate of 192K
        it would allow you to operate G40  from 6,953-7,140 MHz.
        Price is from  $99 for used  to $129 to $149 for brand new
        which is almost same what one would pay for a 96K USB card.

        Wiring, connection diagram and setup for E-MU 0202 will be available online
        on Monday.

        It is very important to invest in the best sound card you can afford.
        Certainly even a cheap sound card will allow you to try and enjoy SDR to a degree,
        but with 192K sound card the $149 G40 receiver performance-wise beats  any $2000 commercial radio.
        I know this is big claim but you will be pleasantly surprised with power of SDR.

        73 Nick VK1AA

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
          I'm looking at picking up an EMU-1212M as the specs look very good. Can someone suggest where I might find the appropriate configuration docs so I might use it with PowerSDR?

          Thanks
          Kirb - VE6IV
          --

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Rahul Srivastava <vu3wjm@...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > From my experience EMU-1212 is one one the best performing soundcard. Incidently the card uses AK5394 24 bit CODEC, same that is used in HPSDR project and Flex 5000 series radios.
          >
          > Unfortunately  EMU 1212 is not supported by PowerSDR however there are settings and writeup on net for configuring it.

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
            kgnesbitt wrote:

            > I'm looking at picking up an EMU-1212M as the specs look very good.
            > Can someone suggest where I might find the appropriate configuration
            > docs so I might use it with PowerSDR?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Kirb - VE6IV
            > --
            >
            > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com>, Rahul Srivastava <vu3wjm@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi!
            > >
            > > From my experience EMU-1212 is one one the best performing
            > soundcard. Incidently the card uses AK5394 24 bit CODEC, same that is
            > used in HPSDR project and Flex 5000 series radios.
            > >
            > > Unfortunately EMU 1212 is not supported by PowerSDR however there
            > are settings and writeup on net for configuring it.

            Hi Kirb.....i bought a EMU 0404 PCI card off E-bay new at about 2/3rds
            of the usual price....
            unfortunatly it wont run under Linux very well will do 48k but no
            drivers to get it to 192k....
            i have bought a second hand WinXP box and installed the card and the
            drivers and Patchmix
            had some fun setting it up but have it working with 96k and the Genesis
            3020 on Genesis Power SDR software......
            hope to set it up shortly to do digital modes....the hold up is im
            putting the 3020 board into a case...nearly there...
            the instructions for setting up the Genesis SDR software are on the
            GenesisRadio yahoo site look under files and then the GSDR basic setup
            settings doc or pdf

            all the best in getting it up and running

            73 David VK4BDJ
          • kgnesbitt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              Thanks David,
              appreciate the input. I did find a good resource for "unsupported" cards on th LP-PAN web site/ The EMU-1212 is covered there running with PowerSDR.
              Can I ask though, were you not able to get the card to work at 192k under Win XP or were there some other limiting factors?

              Cheers,

              Kirb - VE6IV