Re: GSDR Saga

  • keithharrisson
    Message 1 of 17 , May 4, 2010
      Bruce,

      Will I followed your advice and I am afraid I get the same message 'Power SDR encountered a problem and needs to close'.

      Thanks anyway.

      Keith

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

      > Keith.
      >
      > Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework V2 (or higher) on your computer?
      >
      > Are you installing the newest GSDR software?
      >
      > You would need to first, download and unpack into a folder this file:
      > http://www.genesisradio.com.au/GSDR/new/GSDR_install.zip
      >
      > Then, download and unpack into the same folder this file:
      > (select "yes" to replace files)
      >
      > http://www.genesisradio.com.au/GSDR/new/GSDR_update_22042010.zip
      >

      > Bruce G
      > kf1z

    • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4, 2010
        Keith,

        Does the error box give an option to view the error?

        If so, maybe you can copy and paste the error details here, and may get some help that way to determine what is happening.

        Goran hopefully will chime in with some help.

        Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:59 AM
        Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: GSDR Saga

        Bruce,

        Will I followed your advice and I am afraid I get the same message 'Power SDR encountered a problem and needs to close'.

        Thanks anyway.

        Keith

        --- In GenesisRadio@ yahoogroups. com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

        > Keith.
        >
        > Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework V2 (or higher) on your computer?
        >
        > Are you installing the newest GSDR software?
        >
        > You would need to first, download and unpack into a folder this file:
        > http://www.genesisr adio.com. au/GSDR/new/ GSDR_install. zip
        >
        > Then, download and unpack into the same folder this file:
        > (select "yes" to replace files)
        >
        > http://www.genesisr adio.com. au/GSDR/new/ GSDR_update_ 22042010. zip
        >

        > Bruce G
        > kf1z

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======
      • xernz
        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2010
          Hello All;

          Just some information…

          One of my PC a 3.2 Gig, 1 gig Men, single core does behave in a similar way but does not shut down. What happens is it runs for a while then hiccups and Genesis comes to s stop. Problem was, I had another version of PowerSDR installed with MixW configured to same soundcard. Pus My PC soundcard on a newer PC tested out to be a 16 Bit version! It may not be a good idea to have different versions of PowerSDR installed on the same hard drive plus the soundcard should be a 24 bit variety. Third problem found was not all USB ports on the same motherboard are powered. Programs like PowerSDR should only be used with a well powered USB port. Installing a Belkin powered USB hub, removing other PowerSDR program and installing an older Creative 24 bit soundcard solved the problems here. Just some things to look at…

          Ern VE6axl

        • keithharrisson
          Message 4 of 17 , May 5, 2010
            Hi,

            Regretfully no, that option is not offered. Would it help to put the .Net folder into the GSDR folder?

          • keithharrisson
            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2010
              Hi Ern

              Thanks for your comments. I did have Power SDR installed at one time but I removed it a long time ago as I thought there might be a connection in view of the error message referring to the Power SDR. Since I have never been able to install the GSDR software I have not reached the point of possible problems with the sound card. (The sound card is integrated on the motherboard so is nothing special).

              Keith

              --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "xernz" <xernz@...> wrote:

              > Hello All;
              >
              > Just some information…
              >
              > One of my PC a 3.2 Gig, 1 gig Men, single core does behave in a similar way but does not shut down. What happens is it runs for a while then hiccups and Genesis comes to s stop. Problem was, I had another version of PowerSDR installed with MixW configured to same soundcard. Pus My PC soundcard on a newer PC tested out to be a 16 Bit version! It may not be a good idea to have different versions of PowerSDR installed on the same hard drive plus the soundcard should be a 24 bit variety. Third problem found was not all USB ports on the same motherboard are powered. Programs like PowerSDR should only be used with a well powered USB port. Installing a Belkin powered USB hub, removing other PowerSDR program and installing an older Creative 24 bit soundcard solved the problems here. Just some things to look at…
              >
              > Ern VE6axl

              > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Keith,
              > >
              > > Does the error box give an option to view the error?
              > >
              > > If so, maybe you can copy and paste the error details here, and may get some help that way to determine what is happening.
              > >
              > > Goran hopefully will chime in with some help.
              > >
              > > Bruce
              > > kf1z

            • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2010
                Keith,

                No, do not attempt to move ..NET.

                Do you have different user accounts set up on your computer?

                What version of .NET framework did you install?

                Where do you have the folder that contains GSDR ?
                (is it in the 'programs files' folder? or somewhere else)

                Have you tried starting GSDR without the G59 connected? (USB unplugged)

                I was trying to find on my machine yesterday, I thought there was a check-box somewhere that
                'allows' ....  "programs to create folders and files".

                But I couldn't find it.

                This applies to you and Bob....

                After you have attempted to run GSDR, is there now a file in the GSDR folder named "database.xml" ?

                Now, this is definately a long shot...  but do you have antivirus software running on the computer?
                What is it, if so?

                I can't remember IF DirectX version ?? is needed to run GSDR.

                As far as I know, right now...

                You and Bob k9foh  are having these problems......

                It's too bad I'm not more of a computer wiz.... I'd really like to get you guys up and running...!!

                Is it possible to take a screenshot of the files you have in the GSDR folder, or list them....

                Actually, I'll send a reply here with what is in my folder, and you can compare...

                Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 3:58 AM

                Hi,

                Regretfully no, that option is not offered. Would it help to put the .Net folder into the GSDR folder?

                Keith

                --- In GenesisRadio@ yahoogroups. com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                > Keith,
                >
                > Does the error box give an option to view the error?
                >
                > If so, maybe you can copy and paste the error details here, and may get some help that way to determine what is happening.
                >
                > Goran hopefully will chime in with some help.

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com
                =======

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com
                =======
              • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2010
                Attached is a screenshot of the files that are in my GSDR folder.

                I think ALL but the Flash programmer, and the firmware file are needed.

                The wisdom file is created after the FIRST time you run the program ...
                (when you get the black DOS box that is checking FFT size etc)

                The database file is then created... I'm not sure if it's created during the run of the program, or the first time the program is closed.

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com
                =======
              • keithharrisson
                Message 8 of 17 , May 23, 2010
                  Hi Bruce

                  I compared your file lising with mine and I am missing 2 files :

                  database (an XML Document)
                  wisdom (a 5kb file)

                  I am not sure the purpose of these files.

                  What do you think?

                  Keith

                  --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                  > Attached is a screenshot of the files that are in my GSDR folder.
                  >
                  > I think ALL but the Flash programmer, and the firmware file are needed.
                  >
                  > The wisdom file is created after the FIRST time you run the program ...
                  > (when you get the black DOS box that is checking FFT size etc)
                  >
                  > The database file is then created... I'm not sure if it's created during the run of the program, or the first time the program is closed.

                  > =======
                  > http://www.pctools.com/
                  > =======

                • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                  Message 9 of 17 , May 23, 2010
                    Those 2 files are creeated the first time you run GSDR.

                    If you HAVE run GSDR for the first time already, and those files were not created., you have a problem.

                    That problem is windows is not allowing a program to create its own files/folders.

                    That (I am led to believe) is a problem especially with windows 7, where you must run the program, or install with administrator priviledges... and the other kinda failed OS... what was that called? between XP and 7..

                    OR there is a setting somewhere that allows programs to create files.

                    I only have used XP, have not used any of the newer.

                    Have you already run the program for the first time?

                    Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:05 AM

                    Hi Bruce

                    I compared your file lising with mine and I am missing 2 files :

                    database (an XML Document)
                    wisdom (a 5kb file)

                    I am not sure the purpose of these files.

                    What do you think?

                    Keith

                    --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                    > Attached is a screenshot of the files that are in my GSDR folder.
                    >
                    > I think ALL but the Flash programmer, and the firmware file are needed.
                    >
                    > The wisdom file is created after the FIRST time you run the program ...
                    > (when you get the black DOS box that is checking FFT size etc)
                    >
                    > The database file is then created... I'm not sure if it's created during the run of the program, or the first time the program is closed.

                    > =======
                    > http://www.pctools.com/
                    > =======

                    =======
                    http://www.pctools.com
                    =======

                    =======
                    http://www.pctools.com
                    =======
                  • keithharrisson
                    Message 10 of 17 , May 25, 2010
                      When I try to run GSDR I get the message that there is a problem with Power SDR and the program cannot open. My OS is XP with all the updates.
                      regards, Keith

                      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                      > Those 2 files are creeated the first time you run GSDR.
                      >
                      > If you HAVE run GSDR for the first time already, and those files were not created., you have a problem.
                      >
                      > That problem is windows is not allowing a program to create its own files/folders.
                      >
                      > That (I am led to believe) is a problem especially with windows 7, where you must run the program, or install with administrator priviledges... and the other kinda failed OS... what was that called? between XP and 7..
                      >
                      > OR there is a setting somewhere that allows programs to create files.
                      >
                      > I only have used XP, have not used any of the newer.
                      >
                      > Have you already run the program for the first time?
                      >
                      > Bruce

                    • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                      Message 11 of 17 , May 25, 2010
                        And you have ASIO installed, and microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or greater installed?

                        When I try to run GSDR I get the message that there is a problem with Power SDR and the program cannot open. My OS is XP with all the updates.
                        regards, Keith

                        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                        > Those 2 files are creeated the first time you run GSDR.
                        >
                        > If you HAVE run GSDR for the first time already, and those files were not created., you have a problem.
                        >
                        > That problem is windows is not allowing a program to create its own files/folders.
                        >
                        > That (I am led to believe) is a problem especially with windows 7, where you must run the program, or install with administrator priviledges... and the other kinda failed OS... what was that called? between XP and 7..
                        >
                        > OR there is a setting somewhere that allows programs to create files.
                        >
                        > I only have used XP, have not used any of the newer.
                        >
                        > Have you already run the program for the first time?
                        >
                        > Bruce

                        =======
                        http://www.pctools.com
                        =======

                        =======
                        http://www.pctools.com
                        =======
                      • yt7pwr2002
                        Message 12 of 17 , May 25, 2010
                          When you have error screen press Alt+PrintScreen, open Paint, paste(Ctrl+V) and save as *jpg file.Send me to mail: yt7pwr@...

                          73 yt7pwr

                          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "keithharrisson" <g3opj@...> wrote:

                          > When I try to run GSDR I get the message that there is a problem with Power SDR and the program cannot open. My OS is XP with all the updates.
                          > regards, Keith

                        • yt7pwr2002
                          Message 13 of 17 , May 25, 2010
                            When you encounter error screen please press Alt+PrintScreen(copy to clipboard),open Paint(or similar program) and with Ctrl+V(paste), save this image in jpg format.Send image to: yt7pwr@...

                            73 yt7pwr

                            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "keithharrisson" <g3opj@...> wrote:

                            > When I try to run GSDR I get the message that there is a problem with Power SDR and the program cannot open. My OS is XP with all the updates.
                            > regards, Keith

                          • yt7pwr2002
                            Message 14 of 17 , May 25, 2010