G11 Windows 10

  • n0ure
    Message 1 of 20 , May 28, 2017
      After years I have retrieve G11 for the bottom draw.
      I installed GSDR ver 2.0.12, powered on G11 but windows does not does not like the USB device. Did I miss  a driver install?
      John
      TI4/N0URE

    • Bruce Greenleaf kf1z
      Message 2 of 20 , May 28, 2017
        there shouldn't be any driver to install.

        Maybe go grab the newest version of GSDR and install in a separate folder.
        and update the G11 firmware.

        remember G11 must be connected to a USB2.0 port, can't be USB1.1

        try a different cable, and different port ....

        Message 3 of 20 , May 28, 2017
          I thought I had the latest. What is the latest version and where would I find the update?
          John
        • n0ure
          Message 4 of 20 , May 28, 2017
            USB-3 OK?
            john
          • n0ure
            Message 5 of 20 , May 29, 2017
              that date should  be 2/21/2014

              John
            • n0ure
              Message 6 of 20 , May 29, 2017
                I mis-typed my version of GSDR. I am running  ver 2.9.16 with a date of 5/28/2017.
                John
              • Bruce Greenleaf kf1z
                Message 7 of 20 , May 29, 2017
                  The newest version of GSDR is update dated 21022014 , ver. 2.0.16

                  Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 5:09 AM
                  Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: G11 Windows 10

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 29, 2017
                    it should be
                    but maybe not.
                    with my motherboard I have troubles running anything USB2.0 on a USB3 port.
                    I would try reflashing the G11 firmware, ( if G11 flashprogrammer will connect)
                    try different cables etc

                    Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:53 PM

                    USB-3 OK?
                    john

                  • Andrew Love
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 29, 2017
                      Hi John,

                      I have my G11 working with GSDR 2.0.16 on Windows 10.

                      Can you give a few more details about exactly how the G11 USB behaves?  For example, does the G11 show up in USBview (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560019(v=vs.85).aspx)?  What messages if any appear?

                      Also, make sure that you have done the USB power saving disable update - see the file entitled 'USB Power Management Registry Setting.pdf' in the group files section.  Without that mod, Windows will keep disabling the G11 because it appears to be inactive.

                      73,
                      Andrew
                      VK2EZF

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 31, 2017
                        Andrew

                        I installed the debugger but cannot find the USBView. not on the menus in Debugger and not with a "Search Windows". Where should I be looking?

                        John
                      • Andrew Love

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                            Andrew & Bruce

                            I got a known good USB cable from working remote disk.
                            Tried again. Power on I got this report from USBreport and only PWR LED
                            I powered on with paddle pressed and got the same report but G11 shows PWR and USB led.
                            Flash programmer always shows 'disconnected' bottom left.
                            I am going to guess that because I do see the USB led that the processor IS reading the paddle.

                            Next test?

                            john
                            Device Descriptor:
                            bcdUSB:             0x0110
                            bDeviceClass:         0x00
                            bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
                            bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
                            bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
                            idVendor:           0xFFFE
                            idProduct:          0x1971
                            bcdDevice:          0x0031
                            iManufacturer:        0x01
                            iProduct:             0x02
                            iSerialNumber:        0x03
                            bNumConfigurations:   0x01

                            ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
                            Current Config Value: 0x00
                            Device Bus Speed:     Full
                            Device Address:       0x04
                            Open Pipes:              0
                          • Bruce Greenleaf kf1z
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                              so when you put G11 into boot mode,
                              G11 Flash programmer still says disconnected. ?

                              Make sure to use G11 flash programmer, not "flashprogrammer.exe"

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                Yes, G11 Flash programmer shows Disconnected bottom left. And I moved to a USB2 port.

                                john
                              • Bruce Greenleaf kf1z
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                  Just to make sure, see if you can measure
                                  16mhz at the xtal near microprocessor.

                                  Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 2:30 PM

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                    Hi John,

                                    I'd agree that indications are that the G11 CPU is working to the extent that it recognises the paddle.  The USB LED is driven directly from the CPU, so if the LED is changing state then the CPU must be running.  if So, my next test would be on the physical USB interface.

                                    Power up the G11 with the USB cable connected to the PC but NOT to the G11.  Then connect the USB cable to the G11 and watch Windows closely.  Is there ANY reaction from Windows at the moment you plug in the cable?  There are 3 basic possibilities:

                                    1. Windows detects the G11 USB device as a G11 and all is well.  We know this isn't currently happening.

                                    2. Windows detects that you have plugged in some sort of USB device but can't tell what it is.  In this case you will see some sort of activity in Windows culminating in a system message along the lines of 'unrecognised USB device has been connected'.  If that happens then the physical USB device on the G11 is working but the software isn't handshaking properly.

                                    3. Windows doesn't even know you have plugged in a new USB device.   In this case there will be absolutely no reaction from Windows at all - no message, no change in disk or fan noise, no screen flicker.  If that's the case then there is a hardware connection issue most likely on the G11.

                                    Just now my money is on (3).  If that's the case then you should check the circuitry from the G1 USB connector through to the PIC (which provides the USB physical device).  Windows 'detects' a new USB device by sensing the +5V pullup on the USB data lines - so if there is no reaction from Windows then the +5V is missing - hence a likely connectivity issue.

                                    Let us know how that goes.

                                    73,
                                    Andrew
                                    VK2EZF

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                      Yes,Bruce, I see 16 Mhz at C19U. The Paddle is working via PTT_HK to turn on the USB LED.
                                      I am running Update on an old Win 7 laptop that will not close the top.
                                      It has not been on for a year so it will take the night to make ready.

                                      john
                                    • n0ure
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                        Where is the USB input on the schematic and id tags?

                                        john
                                      • Andrew Love
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 1, 2017
                                          Hi John,

                                          The USB connector is on the micro-controller page of the schematic, sheet 12, top left corner.  It connects through two 100R (R18U, R19U) to pins 42, 43 of the PIC.  Those pins are also brought out to pins 2 and 3 of J1.  Make sure the Rs are soldered soundly and that they are 100 ohms.  Check continuity to the USB socket J4U and to the PIC.

                                          Andrew

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 2, 2017
                                            All tests were good.

                                            I moved to the old Windows 7 laptop. JOY !!!

                                            Windows 7 Did a driver install when USB was attached.
                                            I did a flash for ver 1.1.4. GSDR is 2.0.16. I only have an Ebay dongle for sound.
                                            Which Group file should I read to calibrate sound card?
                                            I am picking up just after building and installing the all bands filter board.
                                            I am restarting after 4 years off. Which test/setup instructions files should I print?

                                            I will go back to Windows 10 install After I have all tested under Windows 7.

                                            Thanks all for the help. I might be back when I move to Win 10.

                                            john
                                            TI4/N0URE