RE: USB sound cards

  • anfinn_fo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

      I use the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Sound Card. It works fine on the Rx side, but I can't tell about Tx because I have not finish the Tx part of the G11.

      regards

      OY3A

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, <genesisradio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Does anyone have suggestions for an external sound card? The emu 202 sells for around $120. I have seen a Creative THX for $85, not sure if it will work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

      Thanks Jim...

      Sent from my iPad
    • Charles Albert
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

        I'm curious if you have finished the TX section and tried the SB X-Fi HD USB card yet.

        Charles Albert
        KC6UFM
        http://sites.google.com/site/kc6ufm

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

          I haven't done the Tx yet cos I want to have chasing for for it before I mount the Tx transistors.

          There should be no reason why it should not work as well in Tx like in Rx IMHO.

          I know the sound card is at least 1/2 of the SDR receiver and it took me some time to to figure out what sound card I could use without sacrificing to much performance and still keep the mobility by using a USB sound card.

          A friend told me he had tried SB X-Fi HD USB card on his FlexRadio and it was actually pretty good.

          regards

          OY3A

          --- In genesisradio@yahoogroups.com, <cma_1956@...> wrote:

          I'm curious if you have finished the TX section and tried the SB X-Fi HD USB card yet.

          Charles Albert
          KC6UFM
          http://sites.google.com/site/kc6ufm

          On 9/4/2013 9:33 AM, anfinn_fo@... wrote:

          I use the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Sound Card. It works fine on the Rx side, but I can't tell about Tx because I have not finish the Tx part of the G11.

          regards

          OY3A

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, <genesisradio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Does anyone have suggestions for an external sound card? The emu 202 sells for around $120. I have seen a Creative THX for $85, not sure if it will work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

          Thanks Jim...

          Sent from my iPad

        • Bruce kf1z
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013
            I have no direct experience with this card...

            however, the Signal to Noise ratio in the card's specs is quite low.

            10 db lower than EMU-0202 etc.

            If it were ME, I would spend the extra $50 and go with an EMU over creative SB
            ( yes, I know, they are the same company... Creative makes both)

            No, the different SNR specs don't always correlate exactly with the actual, real-world performance....
            But I have found that they come very close IF all is set up and gains adjusted properly etc.

            10db may not make a lot of difference to some operators. really depends on your favorite modes.

            I tend to use digital modes quite a lot, and 10db can make a HUGE difference.
            On Phone modes... it may never even be noticed....

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013

               Oops, I was afraid I had got the wrong data when You mention a difference in order of 10 dB snr.

              When I did a research on topic and according to creative official data, should they be both equal  more or less SB X-Fi HD USB at 114 and  E-MU 0202 at 113.

              I did not want to pay for any fancy glitter, knobs  and buttons cos It was a 24 bit spur less I ADC/DAC I wanted and not a gadget for audiophile stereo collection.

              But I guess same ole rule is now as earlier, You get what u pay for. I have even tried a $5 16bit/96 Khz  no name card. It actually performed not that bad except from snr at 85 and lots of spurs. I was able to mod the board to perform lots better snr down to 92 dB and spurs from 65 to 80 but there was still lots of phase noise/jitter  making it totally useless.

              regards

              OY3A

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013
                Read the data again....
                SB X-Fi HD USB at 114   is HEADPHONE OUTPUT ,  NOT input!

                Input SNR is just over 100db

                Smile

                Bruce

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013

                  I'm afraid the only data available is the D/A output at 114 dB.

                  So far I'm satisfied with the X-Fi HD USB sound card performance. It is always a compromise what we want to spend, specs and size among other.

                  I did a quick check on SNR and it is about 103 dB at 20 Hz and 107 dB at 1Khz.

                  The chain is no better than the weakest link, and a bad PSU or sound card is able to ruin the best receiver.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013
                    The full product manual has the other data.....

                    Yes,
                    I do agree about the balance of budget and needs.

                    As for your check of SNR, that falls right in line with the published specs.
                    ( and good that you know how to calculate it.... I suspect very few folks do. )

                    The key is to be happy with the performance of the radio.
                    And not wonder what you may be missing.  ( I wish I could take my own advice here.) Smile

                    I have purchased and tested MANY soundcards over the past few years, and spent
                    a fair amount of cash in the process.

                    But, as with all things technical in nature, a new crop of candidates is coming to the market.
                    I don't know that I will be trying too many of them.
                    My 'other hobby' is taking a lot of the spare time and $resources at the moment Smile

                    I know it is hard for many to spend a good deal of $ on a radio, only to find they need to spend 25-40% of that again
                    to have an excellent soundcard.
                    But that's the way it works. Smile

                    Have fun!