Computer noise

  • John Owens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 8:46 AM
      I have a G11, which I like very much. I have noticed that when I turn on the computer for the G 11 (asus Netbook) that background noise level in my IC 735 goes. Up 2-4 S units. I also tried a Dell 410, and it was worse. Is this also increasing the noise floor and sensitivity on the G11 and what can I do about it.

      John Owens K6TViY
    • Bruce kf1z
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 10:32 AM
        PC noise can be a PIA.

        First, try snap on ferrites on all cables leading to PC

        In the case of a laptop, it may be the display, in which case, I don't think there is a solution.
        But grounding  ( or UNgrounding the radio may help)

        For a desktop pc, unfortunately the power supply is likely missing the AC line filter components. Very common.
        There is space on the PCB in the power suplly, but the components are missing.

        I have installed filters in my PC power supplies, but I will not recommend it or give the particulars ( don't want to be liable etc.  Smile )

        But, most electronics suppliers do have filters that plug into the power cord at the back of the PC.
        OR you can replace the power jack on the power supply with a  filtered unit.

        Of course, you would want to do some tests to prove that is the issue.

        May be the display and not power supply.

        If these are both laptops...
        I guess I'd try grounding or ungrounding the case of the 735, or G11
        for G11, you can also try unplugging the USB cable, see if the noise level drops...
        Try ferrites OR ( what I do ) is use a audio line isolator for the line-input cable.

        If the noise is present ONLY when the charger is connected to the laptop,
        try ferrites on the power cord before and after the charger unit.
        also try plugging the charger into a different outlet than the power supply to G11

        There are lots of ways to try... a little experimentation with a wire to different ground points can help eliminate issues.

        Unfortunately, there is no single, straightforward solution to each different setup!

        Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:46 AM
        Subject: [GenesisRadio] Computer noise

        I have a G11, which I like very much. I have noticed that when I turn on the computer for the G 11 (asus Netbook) that background noise level in my IC 735 goes. Up 2-4 S units. I also tried a Dell 410, and it was worse. Is this also increasing the noise floor and sensitivity on the G11 and what can I do about it.

        John Owens K6TViY

      • Ambro_IW2FVO
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17 1:31 PM
          Hi Bruce,
          may I have some indication about the audio line isolator ?
          Thanks
          Ambrogio

          Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:46 AM

          I have a G11, which I like very much. I have noticed that when I turn on the computer for the G 11 (asus Netbook) that background noise level in my IC 735 goes. Up 2-4 S units. I also tried a Dell 410, and it was worse. Is this also increasing the noise floor and sensitivity on the G11 and what can I do about it.

          John Owens K6TViY

        • Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 12:42 AM
            Ambrogio,