Re: 100-watt RF amplifier for G11 ???

  • yo9irf
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
      The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.

      http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@...> wrote:

      > Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?
      >
      > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.
      >
      > Any comments??
      >
      > 73, Radi F6GNZ

    • Vaughn Combs
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013

        This is the one that I use with my G11, G59, etc. When I use one that is hi hi.
        Works GREAT for me!

        http://www.rmitaly.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

        Take Care es 73,
        Vaughn  N2BHA
      • Dimitrios Pallis
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
          you can use also RM HLA150. its a solid state ampl with good performance and TX output filters.
          it has RF sense . I dont know if it has PTT control

          Im using HLA300 with my G59 . The HLA300 has PTT control and rf sense. I think that both solutions are very good.

          if you drive the HLA's with 10 -15W have very good Transmiting spectrum without Images or spurius etc.

          im also using HLA300 with digit modes with 100% dutycycle like FDMDV (of course not @ high TX power) with very good resaults

          73 de SV1JGW

          Dimitrios Jimmy Pallis

          http://sw1jgw.50webs.com/

          To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
          From: razvanfatu@...
          Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:06:43 +0000
          Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: 100-watt RF amplifier for G11 ???

          The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.

          http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@...> wrote:

          > Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?
          >
          > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.
          >
          > Any comments??
          >
          > 73, Radi F6GNZ

        • Milo Austin

            From: razvanfatu@...
            Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:06:43 +0000

            The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.

            http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html

            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@...> wrote:

            > Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?
            >
            > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.
            >
            > Any comments??
            >
            > 73, Radi F6GNZ

          • John's Business Accnt.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
              I would look into Elecraft's
              KXP100A amplifier. This is made to go with their KX3
              but, will work with anything.

              73, John WB6DAX

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:08 AM, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@...> wrote:

              Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?

              I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.

              Any comments??

              73, Radi F6GNZ

            • JAN
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                Hi Radi and All

                I have assembled the CCI amplifier, with band-pass filters, into a
                chassis-cabinet = works very well. Will post photos in the K1ND Genesis Transceiver folder for you to see. Cheers, Jan

                --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "yo9irf" <razvanfatu@...> wrote:

                > The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.
                >
                > http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html
                >
                > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?
                > >
                > > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.
                > >
                > > Any comments??
                > >
                > > 73, Radi F6GNZ

              • kd0jht
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                  Jan,
                  I'm glad to see yet another successful iteration of the CCI amp. My understanding is that a functional understanding of the electronics is necessary to bridge the gaps left in the schematics and engineering notes made available with the "kit." Is it possible to "gain" a functional understanding of the electronics while piecing this together, or would that be a backwards approach?

                  The chief benefit I have derived from kitbuilding in ham radio is the learning that has naturally occurred. I really enjoy learning, and I think I kind of enjoy knowing what I think I know.

                  DE NC0Q Tim

                  --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JAN" <emuprof@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Radi and All
                  >
                  > I have assembled the CCI amplifier, with band-pass filters, into a
                  > chassis-cabinet = works very well. Will post photos in the K1ND Genesis Transceiver folder for you to see. Cheers, Jan
                  >
                  > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "yo9irf" <razvanfatu@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html
                  > >
                  > > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Has anybody suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?
                  > > >
                  > > > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any comments??
                  > > >
                  > > > 73, Radi F6GNZ

                • Bruce kf1z
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                    The CCI amp itself  goes together with no issues. no tweaking needed ( except bias V+)

                    The filters however are not correct... or I should say, need correcting.

                    Especially the 10 meter filter.'

                    The CUT-OFF frequencies are given and designed for evidently.

                    in other words, the 28mhz filter starts attenuating the signal AT 28 mhz!

                    Once you get those corrected, the amp works pretty well.

                    By the way, someone mentioned the "HF Packer " amp.

                    If you want to build that... just look it up in old QST magazine articles.
                    As the first version of the Packer amp, was built exactly by that article.

                    Google "WA2EBY HF amp"

                    href="http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html">http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html

                    href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "f6gnz" <f6gnz@> wrote:

                    > > > Has anybody
                    suggestion for a good 100 W RF amplifier for use with G11?

                    > > > I hesitate between adding RF amp or keeping my
                    FT1000MP/Alpga77/microKEYER2 for transmit and using the G11 for receive only.

                    > > > Any comments??
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, Radi F6GNZ

                  • JAN
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 22, 2013
                      Hi Tim NCØQ

                      In my opinion ALL the CCI "KITS" leave a lot to the builder;
                      you get a pc-board, bag of parts, plus some instructions and
                      the Motorola article upon which the amp is based. See their
                      web-site: http://www.communication-concepts.com/

                      The 100W amp (EB-63A uses a crude diode based bias circuit; no
                      adjustment; CCI never responded to my requests. A half-year
                      later I solved the "to low bias" problem by adapting the LM-723 adjustable bias circuit from their AN-762 amplifier.
                      SEE the pictures in K1ND Genesis Transceiver folder. . . .

                      ADDING the heat-sink and "packaging" are left to the builder!!
                      I'm glad I had Gil, K8EAG help do the work on that. It is not
                      the Heathkit of old nor an Elecraft kit of today.

                      Bruce KF1Z suggested that the Band-Pass filters should be checke
                      for proper resonance.

                      Cheers, Jan K1ND "in the hobby since 1954"

                      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd0jht" <kd0jht@...> wrote:

                      > Jan,
                      > I'm glad to see yet another successful iteration of the CCI amp. My understanding is that a functional understanding of the electronics is necessary to bridge the gaps left in the schematics and engineering notes made available with the "kit." Is it possible to "gain" a functional understanding of the electronics while piecing this together, or would that be a backwards approach?
                      >
                      > The chief benefit I have derived from kitbuilding in ham radio is the learning that has naturally occurred. I really enjoy learning, and I think I kind of enjoy knowing what I think I know.
                      >
                      > DE NC0Q Tim
                      >
                      > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JAN" <emuprof@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Radi and All
                      > >
                      > > I have assembled the CCI amplifier, with band-pass filters, into a
                      > > chassis-cabinet = works very well. Will post photos in the K1ND Genesis Transceiver folder for you to see. Cheers, Jan
                      > >
                      > > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "yo9irf" <razvanfatu@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The kit from Communication Concepts based on the Motorola EB63 design looks to be very appreciated, puts out about 140W with just 5W of drive at 12.5V supply. You'll need a heatsink, a case, plus output filters and protection, wich can be integrated with the G11 pretty easy.
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.communication-concepts.com/index.php/amplifiers/eb27a.html

                    • f6gnz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2013
                        Hello everybody,

                        Thanks for all fine recommendations. Will check and consider everything and decide. You've all been very helpful.

                        Best 73, Radi F6GNZ