Mounting the RF16HHF1 mosfet

  • kd6azn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
      Group
      I have heard this explained two ways for differing reasons. What is the recommended method of securing the RF16HHF1 to the heat sink for the G11? Is is to insulate it electrically using an insulator and plastic screw or should it be secured directly to the heat sink (ground) with no insulator-thermal grease only- and metal screws and washer.
      Thanks for explanation, Dick kd6azn@...
    • Bruce kf1z
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
        it should NOT have insulators.

        A little dab of grease is a good thing.

        I have a G11 running here now that has no grease, and I run it at times
        beyond what is recommended, and have not lost a device yet.

        Keep in mind there is a thin layer of soft metal ( Bizmuth?) on the tabs of a lot
        of devices, and this metal will somewhat conform to the heatsink, which
        helps with heat dissipation.

        You can use thin "Sil-Pads" ( silicon thermal pads) , instead of grease, but do not use screw insulators.

        the tab of these devices is tied to the Source pin, so it should
        remain at ground potential.

        I have heard this explained two ways for differing reasons. What is the recommended method of securing the RF16HHF1 to the heat sink for the G11? Is is to insulate it electrically using an insulator and plastic screw or should it be secured directly to the heat sink (ground) with no insulator-thermal grease only- and metal screws and washer.
        Thanks for explanation, Dick mailto:kd6azn%40gol.com