Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: Progress....

  • Bruce kf1z
    Message 1 of 25 , May 24, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 473 KB
    Here's another check to make...

    With the MBF board completely disconnected from G11...

    Check continuity between the arrows marked on the attached picture....

    Yellow to Yellow, then Orange to Orange.

    Also make sure there is NO continuity to ground from any of these pins.

    Bruce

    Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:37 AM
    Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: Progress....

    Would you upload some good clear pics of the G11 board, without the filter board,
    and then of the filter board?

    Also,
    remove the mbf board.

    use the second RX antenna port
    ( switch to that in GSDR)

    As in the early build of G11,
    connect a jumper wire from J1B to J2B ( page 7 of assem. manual)

    Do you get good signals now on all bands?

    bruce

    Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:05 AM

    Bruce,

    I hope the move went well!

    I'm using the primary antenna port, the one closest to the power connector.

    The cable has ground to ground., the uC mod is complete. (I did it) Switching bands makes relays clock.

    When I bypass the MBF board by connecting the LPF and BPF cables to each other, I can 'hear', albeit not quite as well as I would expect. But lets set that aside for a moment.

    When I put the MBF board in line the rig is 'deaf'. I get nothing on any band. Interestingly, it matters not which filter I put inline, LPF or BPF, it's deaf either way.

    On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Bruce kf1z <kf1z@...> wrote:

    Also,

    I would double check which antenna connector you are using, and make sure that
    the "Second RX input" box in GSDR is checked or unchecked as it should be.

    And of course, that "Multiband BPF board", is checked.

    I know...
    These are the "simple things"
    But 97% of the time, it's the simple things that get overlooked!

    Especially in a case where ALL bands are affected, not just one or two.

    BRuce
    kf1z

    Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:06 AM

    I haven't followed the issue..... because of my move...

    And don't know what checks you have done.

    But back to the beginning.

    The first step for me, would be to make absolutely sure that the
    coax connections to the G11 board are correct.

    And that the 4 wire cable was assembled the right way 'round ( ground of G11 board to ground of multiband board..)

    And, of course,  make sure that the modification to the uController circuit is
    ok.
    ( did you do that? or did I do it before you received your board?)

    Is there ANY band that RX is ok?
    Or are they ALL 'deaf' ?

    Message 2 of 25 , May 24, 2013
      Also....

      I just read one of your first posts...

      You said you have volume cranked all the way up on MIC input? ( should be line-input , not mic)

      did you test G11 without the mbf board modification with this same soundcard?

      What IS the soundcard?

      Bruce

            And you did update the firmware recently to the newest
            version right?

            Message 6 of 25 , May 24, 2013
              Yes I did

              Message 7 of 25 , May 24, 2013
                did you get a chance to do the other tests I mentioned earlier today yet?

                Message 8 of 25 , May 24, 2013
                  Yes.

                  Continuity test good.

                  G11 with wire good on both bnc's

                  Bypassing the filter board makes the g11 hear.

                  Message 9 of 25 , May 24, 2013
                    I did find one problem with one of the coax cables, so I changed over from the two pin connectors to per-made SMA tails and the problem has not changed.

                    Message 10 of 25 , May 24, 2013
                      Well,
                      There isn't much that can go wrong with the board..

                      Open, or stuck relays is pretty much it.
                      That is easily checked with an ohmmeter through each set of relays that should be
                      activated for any given band.
                      To check for continuity, but to also make sure no OTHER relays are active ( or stuck)

                      The only other thing I can think of, is C71 and C72.  they should be 100pf caps.
                      If they are , for example 100nF instead, that would certainly kill all bands.

                      Same with C87 ... should be 22pf... and C88 should be 12pf

                      Then C74, C76, C74, C79

                      These are the only components that remain in circuit to ground no matter what band is chosen.

                      Tell me this...

                      If you remove power from the multiband board.... ( only the power, leave all else connected to G11)
                      can you get signals through on 6 meters?

                      bruce

                      Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                      Message 11 of 25 , May 25, 2013
                        C71,72 are both 100pf (101)

                        C87 is a 100nf (104)
                        I find no C88

                        C74 33pf - 330
                        C75 15pf - 150
                        C76 68pf - 680
                        c77 -
                        c78 10pf - 100
                        C79 33pf - 330

                        With the board in, no power, I can just barely rx 50.101 from my sig gen @ -40dbm fed into a clip lead with the G11 on the bench hooked into a G5RV. Though it shows up @ 50.110

                        Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                          Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                          Message 13 of 25 , May 25, 2013
                            C87 cannot be 100nF !!

                            It needs to be 22pf

                            It is sucking your signal to ground.

                            Bruce

                            Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                            Message 14 of 25 , May 25, 2013
                              C88 is between the 2 center relays  RL32, RL42

                              Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:49 PM

                              Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                              Message 15 of 25 , May 25, 2013

                                Well that certainly solved the problem! Not sure how those two caps ended up incorrect, but once replaced with the correct value things work much better.

                                On to figure out why I'm getting no power out next.

                                Thanks Bruce!

                                Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:49 PM

                                Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:29 PM

                                Message 16 of 25 , May 26, 2013
                                  Well, these caps would keep you from getting RF power output as well.

                                  Did you try after changing caps?
                                  Or is this a new discovery?

                                  Glad RX is working now!

                                  Bruce