G6 progres

  • Goran
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2013
      New Atmel CPU module is arrived and fulfill all expectations. 192KHz full duplex now working without problems with plenty room for additional bandwidth (maybe for second receiver?). Benchmark program shows around 50Mb/s in full duplex and 80Mb/s for one direction. Because G6 have modular design replacing old CPU was easy job. Future development phase could include ARM based processor with VGA output and embedded OS (Linux is logical choice) which will allow G6 to work as standalone radio (with or without video output) or to be connected to classic PC (USB or ethernet) running SDR program. Interesting part is price: ARM 1GHz/512MB RAM/4GB ROM/VGA output board are cheaper than Atmel's (55 vs 60Euro).
      During FM experiment I was wonder if 192KHz bandwidth is enough for FM broadcast station receive. Biggest problem was center spike which represent local oscillator, even with high quality sound cards several hundreds Hz bump are normal. Luckily G6 A/D converter produce very small spike around 0Hz (less than 100Hz width) and with small 60Hz NOTCH filter entire 192KHz are available for Wide Band FM reception. Today I finally manage to finish coding WFM feature and to listen local stations with MagLoop for 20m band :(
      Final bandwidth was 150KHz which leaves plenty room for Stereo decoding and RDS (I need stronger signal because LNA amplifier not mounted yet).
      Now it's up to Tasa to finish band filters and complete transmitter.

      73 yt7pwr
    • vk6abm
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2013
        Good work Goran - the design sounds very versatile and powerful - the future will be very interesting

        73
        Brian VK6ABM

        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Goran" <yt7pwr@...> wrote:

        > New Atmel CPU module is arrived and fulfill all expectations. 192KHz full duplex now working without problems with plenty room for additional bandwidth (maybe for second receiver?). Benchmark program shows around 50Mb/s in full duplex and 80Mb/s for one direction. Because G6 have modular design replacing old CPU was easy job. Future development phase could include ARM based processor with VGA output and embedded OS (Linux is logical choice) which will allow G6 to work as standalone radio (with or without video output) or to be connected to classic PC (USB or ethernet) running SDR program. Interesting part is price: ARM 1GHz/512MB RAM/4GB ROM/VGA output board are cheaper than Atmel's (55 vs 60Euro).
        > During FM experiment I was wonder if 192KHz bandwidth is enough for FM broadcast station receive. Biggest problem was center spike which represent local oscillator, even with high quality sound cards several hundreds Hz bump are normal. Luckily G6 A/D converter produce very small spike around 0Hz (less than 100Hz width) and with small 60Hz NOTCH filter entire 192KHz are available for Wide Band FM reception. Today I finally manage to finish coding WFM feature and to listen local stations with MagLoop for 20m band :(
        > Final bandwidth was 150KHz which leaves plenty room for Stereo decoding and RDS (I need stronger signal because LNA amplifier not mounted yet).
        > Now it's up to Tasa to finish band filters and complete transmitter.
        >

        > 73 yt7pwr

      • Dalojan