Re: Deaf RX

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 18 5:39 PM

      I placed the pictures in a folder called Tom AE5NF

      Thanks for the help

      Tom

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

      > Bruce
      >
      > Sure... At work now will do it tonight...
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have no idea at the moment...
      > >
      > > can you send me some good high-res pictures of the board please?
      > >
      > > bruce

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 22 9:18 AM

        Any idea?

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 22 9:26 AM
          I don't remember if I asked.....

          did you verify the local oscillator is working?

          ( si570 )

          pages 4 and 5 of manual.

          bruce

          placed the pictures in a folder called Tom AE5NF

          > Thanks for the
          help

          > Tom

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 22 5:37 PM
            yes it is

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 22 6:06 PM
              do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 23 7:21 AM
                Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 23 7:54 AM
                  As far as GSDR is concerned, ( or power sdr etc...)
                  The soundcard IS the radio.
                  ( true for all soundcard based SDR GUIs )

                  The noise you see and hear is soundcard noise. this is normal, and expected.

                  I asked you to unplug the cable from the G11 jack that goes to the soundcard line input,
                  and touch the tip of the plug.

                  This test was to ensure the soundcard was setup properly.

                  I believe your response was that it did show up in the display? ( or a 'little change')

                  I'm still not convinced that GSDR is using the input, or, that the input gain from the soundcard is sufficient.

                  Touching the tip of that plug, with finger or to the PC case etc.
                  Should cause a MAJOR increase in the noise and garbage in the panadapter.

                  If it does not, then this is a sign of soundcard input or gain issue ( settings)

                  Since you have equipment, you can also test this by using an audio test signal into the soundcard input
                  Set the audio generator anywhere from 1 to 20khz, and you should see 2 signals in GSDR panadapter ( signal plus image)

                  If you are using the EMU-0202, then set the 2 front panel gain controls to 9 o'clock to test.

                  bruce
                  Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                  I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                  I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                  I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                  I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                  Thanks

                  Tom

                  --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                  > do you have a signal
                  generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                • begr12
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 23 7:58 PM
                    Hi Tom, I have been reading with interest the emails about your problem, I have a G11 working so I looked at some of the readings to see if it can help.
                    Running GDSR with no input into the sound card from the G11.
                    The base noise displayed is -150 on the display grid, reading ADCL or ADCR this is "S6' on the S meter scale.
                    I have set the input level to "30" on the line in MAX is 100.
                    5mv input at 10khz on the line in gives me a reading of -85 on the graph.
                    If you can't get something like this the problem is in your sound card computer set up.

                    Hope this is some help.
                    VK3BOb Bob

                    --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                    > Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                    > I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.
                    >
                    > I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).
                    >
                    > I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…
                    >
                    > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Tom
                    >

                    > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 23 8:04 PM
                      Thanks Bob

                      Let me see what I get

                      Tom

                      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "begr12" <begr12@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tom, I have been reading with interest the emails about your problem, I have a G11 working so I looked at some of the readings to see if it can help.
                      > Running GDSR with no input into the sound card from the G11.
                      > The base noise displayed is -150 on the display grid, reading ADCL or ADCR this is "S6' on the S meter scale.
                      > I have set the input level to "30" on the line in MAX is 100.
                      > 5mv input at 10khz on the line in gives me a reading of -85 on the graph.
                      > If you can't get something like this the problem is in your sound card computer set up.
                      >
                      > Hope this is some help.
                      > VK3BOb Bob
                      >
                      > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                      > > I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.
                      > >
                      > > I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).
                      > >
                      > > I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…
                      > >
                      > > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                      > >

                      > > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 28 12:09 PM
                        Bob/Bruce

                        I feel pretty confident now that my software is doing what it should. The reaction GDSR has been making is within tolerance...

                        Still the RX is not working... The board is drawing about 350 ma.. total which seem reasonable... I touched around the board to see if I have any hot spots and I do. The transiter U3L located neat the Si570 gets hot... I dont know is that is normal or not... I injected a 10mhz signal very near the antenna, tuned to 10Mhz.. Nothing..

                        What next?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 28 12:29 PM
                          At this point, I would say the best thing to do is send the board back to me so
                          I can test it, and make sure there is no fault on the board.

                          Unfortunately, that will have to wait a couple weeks due to my upcoming move.

                          I am assuming of course that you have checked, and rechecked the test points given in the manual.
                          Such as the frequencies and voltage given on page 5...?

                          Bruce

                          I feel pretty confident now that my software is doing what it should. The reaction GDSR has been making is within tolerance...

                          Still the RX is not working... The board is drawing about 350 ma.. total which seem reasonable... I touched around the board to see if I have any hot spots and I do. The transiter U3L located neat the Si570 gets hot... I dont know is that is normal or not... I injected a 10mhz signal very near the antenna, tuned to 10Mhz.. Nothing..

                          What next?

                          Tom

                          --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Bob

                          Let me see what I get

                          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "begr12" <begr12@> wrote:

                          > > Hi Tom, I have been
                          reading with interest the emails about your problem, I have a G11 working so I looked at some of the readings to see if it can help.
                          > > Running GDSR
                          with no input into the sound card from the G11.
                          > > The base noise
                          displayed is -150 on the display grid, reading ADCL or ADCR this is "S6' on the S meter scale.
                          > > I have set the input level to "30" on the line in
                          MAX is 100.
                          > > 5mv input at 10khz on the line in gives me a reading of
                          -85 on the graph.
                          > > If you can't get something like this the problem
                          is in your sound card computer set up.

                          > > Hope this is
                          some help.

                          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@> wrote:

                          > > > Yes I have
                          a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                          do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                          > > > I ran
                          the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                          > > > I may try another computer,
                          and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                          > > > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is
                          something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                          > > > Thanks

                          Tom

                          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                          do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                          22, 2013 8:37 PM
                          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com

                          it is

                          Monday, April 22, 2013 12:18 PM
                          mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                          [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 28 12:43 PM
                            Tom,

                            I AM an idiot!!!!

                            I now see your problem, plain as day.

                            You must install RL1R and RL2R no audio ( I/Q )
                            can get to the jack without them.

                            ( page 6 of manual)

                            I am sorry, I can't believe I missed this in your pictures before.

                            Bruce

                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 29 10:12 AM

                              Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I get home...

                              I guess I associated the relays with filters that I will not need since I have the all band board...

                              Thanks

                              Tom

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 29 10:20 AM

                                these two are for AF preamp, and 'shared mic/line input'.
                                The I/Q audio is routed through both of them.

                                Bruce

                                Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I get home...

                                I guess I associated the relays with filters that I will not need since I have the all band board...

                                Thanks

                                Tom
                                --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                                > Tom,
                                >
                                > I AM
                                an idiot!!!!

                                > I now see your problem, plain as day.
                                >

                                > You must install RL1R and RL2R no audio ( I/Q )
                                > can
                                get to the jack without them.

                                > ( page 6 of manual)
                                >

                                > I am sorry, I can't believe I missed this in your pictures
                                before.

                                > Bruce

                              • Tom
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 30 7:00 AM

                                  I heard some signals (AM Broadcast, one 10 Meter morse) Not much... I am going to assume later setups will improve the "ears" of the radio.

                                  Thanks

                                  Moving on to the next step..

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 30 7:06 AM
                                    the only improvements later will be possibly less noise ( filters )

                                    and, setting the gain of the soundcard etc.

                                    bruce

                                    I heard some signals (AM Broadcast, one 10 Meter morse) Not much... I am going to assume later setups will improve the "ears" of the radio.

                                    Thanks

                                    Moving on to the next step..

                                    Tom

                                    --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                                    > Bruce
                                    >
                                    > Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I
                                    get home...

                                    > I guess I associated the relays with filters that I
                                    will not need since I have the all band board...

                                    Thanks

                                    > Tom
                                    > --- In
                                    href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote: