Microphone testing

  • Frank Eichel
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
    Hi Bruce, and the rest of the gang.

    I have been testing my Heil mike today and listening to the audio on a second receiver. When I start transmitting, the background is very quiet and my audio sounds great. However, background noise begins to creep in very soon after I start talking and it starts to rapidly vary in amplitude. At the same time, my voice sounds like it is in an echo chamber. I've played around with all of the audio settings for a couple of hours and I can't seem to get rid of the problem.

    The transmit equalizer and echo are not enabled .

    I've attached a couple of screenshots showing my settings.

    I've inserted JMP2M and JMP5M only. I tried lifting the ground on the E-MU 0204 and it didn't seem to help. I've cut the microphone gain right back and I have not inserted JMP4M.

    Another thing, when I start transmitting, the SWR light comes on. My SWR is fine in Tune at full power. Once the background audio begins to play up, the SWR light fades so I am not sure what this means.

    Frank VE7AWV

    Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
      does the swr light do this on ALL bands? or just 20m?

      Could the odd audio be just feedback from the second receiver?

      The SWR light wants me to think that the PA stage may be trying to self oscillate...

      If you unplug the cable from G11 that is connected to "FM_Line_Out"  ( from soundcard line out)
      And press TUNE..
      Do you see ANY ( even a tiny bit) of RF power output?

      Bruce

      Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013

        Also...

        In your pictured examples... what was LOSC set to?

        And,

        Have you tried a 96k or 48k sample rate?

        Bruce

        Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
          You were right about the feedback. Once I got the receiver out of the room or on headphones, the problem went away.

          The LO was 14.149729 kHz, and my transmitting frequency was 14.172 kHz.

          If I unplug the line from FM Line Out and transmit, I don't get any response from the power meter.

          Seems the SWR light comes on when I transmit several times in rapid succession, it fades slowly and if I wait long enough it won't come back on until I end the first transmission, wait a few seconds, and then transmit again. Any ideas?

          I suspect my coax, being 25 years old, needs to be replaced, although I must say the receiver is working really well on 15 and 20 meters (Cushcraft A4S up 40 feet). The antenna needs some work on 10 meters though as there is nothing coming through on that band.

          Frank ve7awv

              Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14, 2013
                Hi Frank,

                I have been working with this problem for a while now. My G11 does the same thing.

                I kind of quit for now, I have too many other things to work on for now.

                A few others have reported the same issue. I tried all the settings that were in the

                docs, but still the same. I believe my problem is my sound card installation. I have been

                using an Edirol FA66 for a few years now, and have many other SDR rigs that I use with this

                hardware.

                If I find anything I will let you know.

                Chuck Nolin
                WA6LTV/4

                  Message 9 of 9 , Apr 14, 2013
                    you should be able to see 5 watts or so on your meter when your peaks are at 10 watts
                    ( you won't see 10 watt peaks with the versa tuner)

                    so your audio is not high enough I'd say.

                    Chuck, I assume you were talking about the SWR indication when in SSB?

                    I have never had this issue myself, and have tried to replicate it last year I remember one person
                    that had the issue.
                    Not sure if it was ever resolved.