Deaf RX

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 12 11:16 PM

      I finished my G11 to the "check the RX point". I get nothing. GSDR however sounds like a radio with or without any connections to it... I did set it up for the 2nd RX. GSDR does not show CPU load... I am using a M-Audo Delta-66 sound card. I have tried a E-MU 0202 as well no luck. GDSR does see my radio... Boot ver 0.0.4, firmware 1.1.4, ser ???.
      The unit is drawing .354MA... I did have a SM cap fall off (cold solder) I checked the rest and they seem fine.

      How do you sugest I procede?

      Thanks

      Tom
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 13 3:46 AM

        First of all

        Do you have both audio cables connected from G11 to soundcard?

        you see no signals in panadapter?

        you checked the "second rx input"  box in GSDR?

        bruce

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 13 10:15 AM
          Thanks Bruce

          I have a stereo cable connected to the "to line in" of the g11 and the sound card and I have the speaker commected speaker output on the card. On the g11 I have the power,USB, antenna, and to line out connected as I mentioned.

          I also have the jumper between jb2 and jb1.

          With nothing hooked up at all GSDR has hiss and tone as I tune thru the bands. But no no real signals.

          In the set up I did check the second rx input.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 13 10:29 AM
            Which "check RX point"?

            do you have band-pass, low-pass filters installed?
            if not, do you have the temporary wires connected?

            --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

            > First of
            all

            > Do you have both audio cables connected from G11 to
            soundcard?

            > you see no signals in panadapter?

            you checked the "second rx input" box in GSDR?

            > bruce

            href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Deaf RX
            >

            > Bruce
            >
            > I finished my G11 to the "check the RX point". I get nothing. GSDR
            however sounds like a radio with or without any connections to it... I did set it up for the 2nd RX. GSDR does not show CPU load... I am using a M-Audo Delta-66 sound card. I have tried a E-MU 0202 as well no luck. GDSR does see my radio... Boot ver 0.0.4, firmware 1.1.4, ser ???.
            > The unit is drawing
            .354MA... I did have a SM cap fall off (cold solder) I checked the rest and they seem fine.

            > How do you sugest I procede?

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 13 10:35 AM
              ok step back one..

              unplug the plug from G11 "to line out"
              Have GSDR running in receive.

              touch the tip of the plug with your finger, or on the pc cabinet, metal desk, whatever...

              what happens if anything to the panadapter display?

              bruce

              I have a stereo cable connected to the "to line in" of the g11 and the sound card and I have the speaker commected speaker output on the card. On the g11 I have the power,USB, antenna, and to line out connected as I mentioned.

              I also have the jumper between jb2 and jb1.

              With nothing hooked up at all GSDR has hiss and tone as I tune thru the bands. But no no real signals.

              In the set up I did check the second rx input.

              Tom

              --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

              > First of
              all

              > Do you have both audio cables connected from G11 to
              soundcard?

              > you see no signals in panadapter?

              you checked the "second rx input" box in GSDR?

              > bruce

              Thanks

              Tom

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 13 11:14 AM
                I have the 5 band board kit so no filters Installed. I am just at the rx test.

                No USB nothing connected to computer, GSDR running, I get noise, when I touch the tip I get about a slight jump on the display.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 13 11:29 AM
                  ok...

                  make sure the temporary wire between J1B and J2B is in the right place.

                  you have J1L installed .. right?

                  Make sure the input gain controls in windows and hardware ( soundcard) are up a bit.
                  ( should be a big mess of garbage in the panadapter when you touched the tip of that plug)
                  So maybe input gain not high enough?

                  for the 0202, the number of channels set in GSDR soundcard setup should be 2.

                  For the Maudio... I guess it would be 6
                  and then the RX and TX channels need to be selected correctly.

                  bruce

                  I have the 5 band board kit so no filters Installed. I am just at the rx test.

                  No USB nothing connected to computer, GSDR running, I get noise, when I touch the tip I get about a slight jump on the display.

                  Tom

                  --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                  > ok step back one..
                  >
                  > unplug the plug from G11 "to line out"
                  > Have GSDR running in
                  receive.

                  > touch the tip of the plug with your finger, or on the
                  pc cabinet, metal desk, whatever...

                  > what happens if anything to
                  the panadapter display?

                  Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:15 PM
                  > To:
                  href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX
                  >

                  > Thanks
                  Bruce

                  > I have a stereo cable connected to the "to line in" of
                  the g11 and the sound card and I have the speaker commected speaker output on the card. On the g11 I have the power,USB, antenna, and to line out connected as I mentioned.

                  > I also have the jumper between jb2 and
                  jb1.

                  > With nothing hooked up at all GSDR has hiss and tone as I
                  tune thru the bands. But no no real signals.

                  > In the set up I
                  did check the second rx input.

                  > Tom
                  >
                  > --- In
                  mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                  > > First of all
                  > >
                  > > Do you
                  have both audio cables connected from G11 to soundcard?

                  > > you see no signals in panadapter?
                  > >
                  > > you checked
                  the "second rx input" box in GSDR?

                  > > bruce

                  2013 2:16 AM
                  > > To: mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Deaf RX

                  Bruce

                  > > I finished my G11 to the "check the RX point".
                  I get nothing. GSDR however sounds like a radio with or without any connections to it... I did set it up for the 2nd RX. GSDR does not show CPU load... I am using a M-Audo Delta-66 sound card. I have tried a E-MU 0202 as well no luck. GDSR does see my radio... Boot ver 0.0.4, firmware 1.1.4, ser ???.

                  The unit is drawing .354MA... I did have a SM cap fall off (cold solder) I checked the rest and they seem fine.

                  > > How do you
                  sugest I procede?

                  > > Thanks

                  Tom

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 13 11:45 AM
                    I am with you so far

                    > ok...
                    >
                    > make sure the temporary wire between J1B and J2B is in the right place.
                    >
                    > you have J1L installed .. right?
                    >
                    > Make sure the input gain controls in windows and hardware ( soundcard) are up a bit.
                    > ( should be a big mess of garbage in the panadapter when you touched the tip of that plug)
                    > So maybe input gain not high enough?
                    >
                    > for the 0202, the number of channels set in GSDR soundcard setup should be 2.
                    >
                    > For the Maudio... I guess it would be 6
                    > and then the RX and TX channels need to be selected correctly.
                    >
                    > bruce

                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 15 5:23 PM

                      I am ready... Let me know what to do

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 15 6:18 PM
                        I have no idea at the moment...

                        can you send me some good high-res pictures of the board please?

                        bruce

                        > > make sure the temporary wire between J1B and J2B is in the right
                        place.

                        > > you have J1L installed .. right?
                        > >
                        > > Make sure the input gain controls in windows and hardware (
                        soundcard) are up a bit.
                        > > ( should be a big mess of garbage in the
                        panadapter when you touched the tip of that plug)
                        > > So maybe input
                        gain not high enough?

                        > > for the 0202, the number of
                        channels set in GSDR soundcard setup should be 2.

                        > > For
                        the Maudio... I guess it would be 6
                        > > and then the RX and TX channels
                        need to be selected correctly.

                        > > bruce

                        2013 2:14 PM
                        > > To:
                        href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                        > > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX
                        > >

                        > > I have the 5 band board kit so no filters Installed.
                        I am just at the rx test.

                        > > No USB nothing connected
                        to computer, GSDR running, I get noise, when I touch the tip I get about a slight jump on the display.

                        > > Tom
                        > >

                        > > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z"
                        <kf1z@> wrote:

                        > > > ok step back
                        one..

                        > > > unplug the plug from G11 "to line
                        out"
                        > > > Have GSDR running in receive.
                        > > >
                        > > > touch the tip of the plug with your finger, or on the pc cabinet,
                        metal desk, whatever...

                        > > > what happens if
                        anything to the panadapter display?

                        bruce

                        [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX

                        > > > Which "check RX point"?
                        > > >
                        > > > do you have band-pass, low-pass filters installed?
                        > > > if
                        not, do you have the temporary wires connected?

                        > > > bruce

                        Re: Deaf RX

                        > > > Thanks
                        Bruce

                        > > > I have a stereo cable connected to
                        the "to line in" of the g11 and the sound card and I have the speaker commected speaker output on the card. On the g11 I have the power,USB, antenna, and to line out connected as I mentioned.

                        > > > I also
                        have the jumper between jb2 and jb1.

                        > > > With
                        nothing hooked up at all GSDR has hiss and tone as I tune thru the bands. But no no real signals.

                        > > > In the set up I did check
                        the second rx input.

                        > > > Tom
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z"

                        have both audio cables connected from G11 to soundcard?

                        [GenesisRadio] Deaf RX

                        my G11 to the "check the RX point". I get nothing. GSDR however sounds like a radio with or without any connections to it... I did set it up for the 2nd RX. GSDR does not show CPU load... I am using a M-Audo Delta-66 sound card. I have tried a E-MU 0202 as well no luck. GDSR does see my radio... Boot ver 0.0.4, firmware 1.1.4, ser ???.
                        did have a SM cap fall off (cold solder) I checked the rest and they seem fine.

                        procede?

                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 16 8:29 AM

                          Sure... At work now will do it tonight...

                          Thanks

                          Tom

                          > I have no idea at the moment...
                          >
                          > can you send me some good high-res pictures of the board please?
                          >
                          > bruce

                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 18 5:39 PM

                            I placed the pictures in a folder called Tom AE5NF

                            Thanks for the help

                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 22 9:18 AM

                              Any idea?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 22 9:26 AM
                                I don't remember if I asked.....

                                did you verify the local oscillator is working?

                                ( si570 )

                                pages 4 and 5 of manual.

                                bruce

                                placed the pictures in a folder called Tom AE5NF

                                > Thanks for the
                                help

                                > Tom

                              • Tom
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 22 5:37 PM
                                  yes it is

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 22 6:06 PM
                                    do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                                    href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                                    > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX

                                    Bruce

                                    > Any idea?
                                    >
                                    > Tom
                                    >
                                    > --- In
                                    mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@> wrote:

                                    > > Bruce
                                    > >
                                    > > I placed the pictures in a
                                    folder called Tom AE5NF

                                    > > Thanks for the help
                                    > >
                                    > > Tom

                                  • Tom
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 23 7:21 AM
                                      Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                                      I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                                      I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                                      I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                                      I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 23 7:54 AM
                                        As far as GSDR is concerned, ( or power sdr etc...)
                                        The soundcard IS the radio.
                                        ( true for all soundcard based SDR GUIs )

                                        The noise you see and hear is soundcard noise. this is normal, and expected.

                                        I asked you to unplug the cable from the G11 jack that goes to the soundcard line input,
                                        and touch the tip of the plug.

                                        This test was to ensure the soundcard was setup properly.

                                        I believe your response was that it did show up in the display? ( or a 'little change')

                                        I'm still not convinced that GSDR is using the input, or, that the input gain from the soundcard is sufficient.

                                        Touching the tip of that plug, with finger or to the PC case etc.
                                        Should cause a MAJOR increase in the noise and garbage in the panadapter.

                                        If it does not, then this is a sign of soundcard input or gain issue ( settings)

                                        Since you have equipment, you can also test this by using an audio test signal into the soundcard input
                                        Set the audio generator anywhere from 1 to 20khz, and you should see 2 signals in GSDR panadapter ( signal plus image)

                                        If you are using the EMU-0202, then set the 2 front panel gain controls to 9 o'clock to test.

                                        bruce
                                        Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                                        I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                                        I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                                        I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                                        I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                                        Thanks

                                        Tom

                                        --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                                        > do you have a signal
                                        generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                                      • begr12
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 23 7:58 PM
                                          Hi Tom, I have been reading with interest the emails about your problem, I have a G11 working so I looked at some of the readings to see if it can help.
                                          Running GDSR with no input into the sound card from the G11.
                                          The base noise displayed is -150 on the display grid, reading ADCL or ADCR this is "S6' on the S meter scale.
                                          I have set the input level to "30" on the line in MAX is 100.
                                          5mv input at 10khz on the line in gives me a reading of -85 on the graph.
                                          If you can't get something like this the problem is in your sound card computer set up.

                                          Hope this is some help.
                                          VK3BOb Bob

                                          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                                          > Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                                          > I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.
                                          >
                                          > I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).
                                          >
                                          > I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…
                                          >
                                          > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...
                                          >
                                          > Thanks
                                          >
                                          > Tom
                                          >

                                          > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                                        • Tom
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 23 8:04 PM
                                            Thanks Bob

                                            Let me see what I get

                                            Tom

                                            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "begr12" <begr12@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Tom, I have been reading with interest the emails about your problem, I have a G11 working so I looked at some of the readings to see if it can help.
                                            > Running GDSR with no input into the sound card from the G11.
                                            > The base noise displayed is -150 on the display grid, reading ADCL or ADCR this is "S6' on the S meter scale.
                                            > I have set the input level to "30" on the line in MAX is 100.
                                            > 5mv input at 10khz on the line in gives me a reading of -85 on the graph.
                                            > If you can't get something like this the problem is in your sound card computer set up.
                                            >
                                            > Hope this is some help.
                                            > VK3BOb Bob
                                            >
                                            > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Yes I have a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                                            > > I do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.
                                            > >
                                            > > I ran the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).
                                            > >
                                            > > I may try another computer, and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…
                                            > >
                                            > > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks
                                            > >
                                            > > Tom
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                                          • Tom
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 28 12:09 PM
                                              Bob/Bruce

                                              I feel pretty confident now that my software is doing what it should. The reaction GDSR has been making is within tolerance...

                                              Still the RX is not working... The board is drawing about 350 ma.. total which seem reasonable... I touched around the board to see if I have any hot spots and I do. The transiter U3L located neat the Si570 gets hot... I dont know is that is normal or not... I injected a 10mhz signal very near the antenna, tuned to 10Mhz.. Nothing..

                                              What next?

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 28 12:29 PM
                                                At this point, I would say the best thing to do is send the board back to me so
                                                I can test it, and make sure there is no fault on the board.

                                                Unfortunately, that will have to wait a couple weeks due to my upcoming move.

                                                I am assuming of course that you have checked, and rechecked the test points given in the manual.
                                                Such as the frequencies and voltage given on page 5...?

                                                Bruce

                                                I feel pretty confident now that my software is doing what it should. The reaction GDSR has been making is within tolerance...

                                                Still the RX is not working... The board is drawing about 350 ma.. total which seem reasonable... I touched around the board to see if I have any hot spots and I do. The transiter U3L located neat the Si570 gets hot... I dont know is that is normal or not... I injected a 10mhz signal very near the antenna, tuned to 10Mhz.. Nothing..

                                                What next?

                                                Tom

                                                --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                                                > Thanks Bob

                                                Let me see what I get

                                                href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@> wrote:

                                                > > > Yes I have
                                                a signal generator... I set it for 10MHZ. I got nothing...
                                                do not feel good about GDSR, with or without a radio it sounds like it has a radio hooked to it... Very noisy.

                                                > > > I ran
                                                the program without the update and it was a lot quieter (but no G11 button in the set up).

                                                > > > I may try another computer,
                                                and remove the M audio sound card and run the E-MU 0202…

                                                > > > I have a full shack of test equipment so if there is
                                                something you want me to check I probably have the test set to do it...

                                                > > > Thanks

                                                Tom

                                                > > > --- In
                                                href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                                                do you have a signal generator of any kind you can put a signal to the RX with?

                                                it is

                                                Monday, April 22, 2013 12:18 PM
                                                mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                                                [GenesisRadio] Re: Deaf RX

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 28 12:43 PM
                                                  Tom,

                                                  I AM an idiot!!!!

                                                  I now see your problem, plain as day.

                                                  You must install RL1R and RL2R no audio ( I/Q )
                                                  can get to the jack without them.

                                                  ( page 6 of manual)

                                                  I am sorry, I can't believe I missed this in your pictures before.

                                                  Bruce

                                                • Tom
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 29 10:12 AM

                                                    Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I get home...

                                                    I guess I associated the relays with filters that I will not need since I have the all band board...

                                                    Thanks

                                                    Tom

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 29 10:20 AM

                                                      these two are for AF preamp, and 'shared mic/line input'.
                                                      The I/Q audio is routed through both of them.

                                                      Bruce

                                                      Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I get home...

                                                      I guess I associated the relays with filters that I will not need since I have the all band board...

                                                      Thanks

                                                      Tom
                                                      --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                                                      > Tom,
                                                      >
                                                      > I AM
                                                      an idiot!!!!

                                                      > I now see your problem, plain as day.
                                                      >

                                                      > You must install RL1R and RL2R no audio ( I/Q )
                                                      > can
                                                      get to the jack without them.

                                                      > ( page 6 of manual)
                                                      >

                                                      > I am sorry, I can't believe I missed this in your pictures
                                                      before.

                                                      > Bruce

                                                    • Tom
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 30 7:00 AM

                                                        I heard some signals (AM Broadcast, one 10 Meter morse) Not much... I am going to assume later setups will improve the "ears" of the radio.

                                                        Thanks

                                                        Moving on to the next step..

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 30 7:06 AM
                                                          the only improvements later will be possibly less noise ( filters )

                                                          and, setting the gain of the soundcard etc.

                                                          bruce

                                                          I heard some signals (AM Broadcast, one 10 Meter morse) Not much... I am going to assume later setups will improve the "ears" of the radio.

                                                          Thanks

                                                          Moving on to the next step..

                                                          Tom

                                                          --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tflynn6693@...> wrote:

                                                          > Bruce
                                                          >
                                                          > Not you me! you are so right... I am at work will put them in when I
                                                          get home...

                                                          > I guess I associated the relays with filters that I
                                                          will not need since I have the all band board...

                                                          Thanks

                                                          > Tom
                                                          > --- In
                                                          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote: