Re: [GenesisRadio] Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase 3 test errors IC1G/Si570 related?

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
      Pin 1 is fine.... no problem there

      you say ....  "I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting"

      Obviously you get something, ..

      The  question here is what frequency counter are you using? ( exact model number please )

      What do you get at the divider resistors for frequency? is it steady?

      What are the voltages at IC3G?

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi Bruce,

        Many thanks for your reply. Answers as follows:

        I am using a brand new MFJ-269 Antenna Analyser (ver 4.46) which has a frequency counter function and have it plugged into an external DC PSU. FYI measuring Pin 14 on the main processor gives a steady 16Mhz - so it appears to be working. Gate refresh is set to 1 sec.

        Pin 5 Frequency: 0.002 but shifting between 0.000-0.002

        Pin 4 Frequency: Having left the G59 powered off last night, I get a different reading this morning after powering on. The freq counter started at 0.498 and slowly but steady increased. After about 30 seconds it reached 1.000 and I stopped measuring. Have tried it 3 times now and get similar results although the starting freq. reading is always different but around where I left off on the previous test.

        At the divider resistors I get no frequency reading and no voltage.

        At IC2G I get 2.93V in and 4.46v Out

        For IC3G - wasn't sure which pins to check but I have readings as follows:

        Pin / Vdc Pin / Vdc
        1 / 3.28 14 / 3.28
        2 / -- 13 / 3.28
        3 / 1.55 12 / --
        4 / 3.28 11 / 1.51
        5 / -- 10 / 3.28
        6 / 3.28 09 / --
        7 / -- 08 / 3.28

        73 Adrian

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
          ok, I have to assume at this point the Si570 may be damaged...

          However,

          The voltages for Si570 you gave yesterday were all ok.

          The only thing I would check is to make SURE pins 3,  4 and 5 are soldered well
          ( check them all, with a magnifier)

          Also, check resistance to ground of all pins ( no power to board)

          --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

          > Pin 1 is fine.... no
          problem there

          > you say .... "I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin
          4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting"

          > Obviously you get something, ..
          >

          > The question
          here is what frequency counter are you using? ( exact model number please )

          > What do you get at the divider
          resistors for frequency? is it steady?

          > What are the voltages at
          IC3G?

          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase 3 test
          errors IC1G/Si570 related?

          > Hello,

          After purchasing a G59+GPA10 kit last year, I have recently started constructing the G59. So far phase 1 and 2 have gone well, although in phase 3 I have found SMD soldering challenging. I have loaded the GSDR software (on a Mac Pro via Parallels), connected via USB and managed to update the firmware (now running v1.1.9).

          > In any event, I have completed phase 3 but have issues
          with the test results from the IC1G/Si570 and Si570 dependent test. I tested the output from my PSU and it is feeding the G59 with 13.83vdc:

          > Pin
          / Test VDC / Actual VDC
          > 1 / 0 / 3.19
          > 2 / 3.27 / 3.29
          > 3 /
          0 / 0
          > 4 / 1.16 / 1.21
          > 5 / 1.16 / 1.21
          > 6 / 3.19 /
          3.21
          > 7 / 0 or 3.25 / 3.27
          > 8 / 0 or 3.25 / 3.29

          Pin 1 is clearly wrong but not exactly the same as 2, 7 or 6 yet makes me think I have some kind of interconnection. Feels like I have to desolder the Si570 and re-solder more carefully? The other pin results are small differences but are they significant?

          > More of an issue is the Si570 does not
          oscillate at 56.320mhz out of pins 4 or 5. I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting. Again it feels as though I should be desoldering and re-soldering the Si570.

          The IC2G voltages are again slightly out (IN 2.84V test vs 2.94 actual; Out was okay)

          > The IC3G divider tests for voltage and frequency are
          significantly out - but that is probably related to the Si570 issues, no?

          > Any guidance greatly received.
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Adrian
          > 2E0CPP

        • cerfuffle
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
            Hi Bruce,

            Thanks again. Have checked solder at pins and all looks good. Overall, the Si570 appears to be well orientated and the soldering strongly attaching the component. I retouched with my soldering iron - voltages still good but Pin 5 frequency output is still muted. Pin 4 now at 108mhz but still moving around.

            I tested for power to the board from the Si 570 pins using a new Benning MM7-1 DMM. The ohm meter showed no connection from Pins to ground.

            What would you suggest as next steps? Again, assistance greatly appreciated.

            Cheers,
            Adrian

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
              Ok, try measuring frequency at TP1  ( pad just to the right of C2G )
              Any different?

              Pull C3G ( at least one end ) from the circuit.

              Measure frequency of pin 5 again.
              Any difference?

              I wanted you to measure the resistance to ground of each of the Si570 pads. not just looking for shorts, ]
              but the actual resistance measurements.

              For the MFJ counter, what are you using for a probe? Not just a random piece of wire I trust....

              Thanks again. Have checked solder at pins and all looks good. Overall, the Si570 appears to be well orientated and the soldering strongly attaching the component. I retouched with my soldering iron - voltages still good but Pin 5 frequency output is still muted. Pin 4 now at 108mhz but still moving around.

              I tested for power to the board from the Si 570 pins using a new Benning MM7-1 DMM. The ohm meter showed no connection from Pins to ground.

              What would you suggest as next steps? Again, assistance greatly appreciated.

              Cheers,
              Adrian

              --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

              > ok, I have to assume at
              this point the Si570 may be damaged...

              > However,
              >
              > The voltages for Si570 you gave yesterday were all ok.

              The only thing I would check is to make SURE pins 3, 4 and 5 are soldered well
              > ( check them all, with a magnifier)
              >
              > Also, check
              resistance to ground of all pins ( no power to board)

              bruce

              10, 2013 7:15 AM
              > To:
              href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase 3 test
              errors IC1G/Si570 related?

              > Hi Bruce,

              Many thanks for your reply. Answers as follows:

              > I am using a
              brand new MFJ-269 Antenna Analyser (ver 4.46) which has a frequency counter function and have it plugged into an external DC PSU. FYI measuring Pin 14 on the main processor gives a steady 16Mhz - so it appears to be working. Gate refresh is set to 1 sec.

              > Pin 5 Frequency: 0.002 but shifting
              between 0.000-0.002

              > Pin 4 Frequency: Having left the G59
              powered off last night, I get a different reading this morning after powering on. The freq counter started at 0.498 and slowly but steady increased. After about 30 seconds it reached 1.000 and I stopped measuring. Have tried it 3 times now and get similar results although the starting freq. reading is always different but around where I left off on the previous test.

              > At
              the divider resistors I get no frequency reading and no voltage.

              > At IC2G I get 2.93V in and 4.46v Out
              >
              > For IC3G - wasn't
              sure which pins to check but I have readings as follows:

              > Pin /
              Vdc Pin / Vdc
              > 1 / 3.28 14 / 3.28
              > 2 / -- 13 / 3.28
              > 3 /
              1.55 12 / --
              > 4 / 3.28 11 / 1.51
              > 5 / -- 10 / 3.28
              > 6 /
              3.28 09 / --
              > 7 / â€" 08 / 3.28
              >
              > 73 Adrian
              >
              > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z"
              <kf1z@> wrote:

              > > Pin 1 is fine.... no problem
              there

              > > you say .... "I get nothing out of Pin 5 and
              Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting"

              > > Obviously you get something, ..
              > >

              > > The question here is what frequency counter are you using? ( exact
              model number please )

              > > What do you get at the divider resistors for frequency? is it
              steady?

              > > What are the voltages at IC3G?
              > >

              > > Bruce
              > > kf1z

              / 0 / 3.19
              > > 2 / 3.27 / 3.29
              > > 3 / 0 / 0
              > > 4 /
              1.16 / 1.21
              > > 5 / 1.16 / 1.21
              > > 6 / 3.19 / 3.21
              > > 7 / 0 or 3.25 / 3.27
              > > 8 / 0 or 3.25 / 3.29
              > >
              > > Pin 1 is clearly wrong but not exactly the same as 2, 7 or 6 yet
              makes me think I have some kind of interconnection. Feels like I have to desolder the Si570 and re-solder more carefully? The other pin results are small differences but are they significant?

              > > More of an
              issue is the Si570 does not oscillate at 56.320mhz out of pins 4 or 5. I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting. Again it feels as though I should be desoldering and re-soldering the Si570.

              > > The IC2G voltages are again
              slightly out (IN 2.84V test vs 2.94 actual; Out was okay)

              > > The IC3G divider tests for voltage and frequency are significantly out -
              but that is probably related to the Si570 issues, no?

              Any guidance greatly received.

              > > 73
              > >
              > > Adrian
              > > 2E0CPP

            • cerfuffle
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                I am having trouble locating TP1. I can see it on the schematic but just to clarify I have a Mk3 kit/board and on which R20G is located immediately to the right of C2G (currently not in place) and no spare pad. This appears to vary from the photos in the phase 3 section of the website which shows a spare pad where you suggested.

                No random piece of wire in use. I am using an oscilloscope probe with a BNC plug at one end to connect to MRJ unit - "all the gear and no idea!" :-)

                Sadly, I must admit that I am not sure how to measure the resistance to ground. I have removed the power and measured with my Ohm meter between each pin and ground but still get no reading on any pin save for pin 3 which measure only 0.9R. Apologies if my lack of skills makes your blood boil....

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                  well, the test point is at the 'other' side of C2G ( C2G goes "nowhere")

                  Is your ohmmeter an "autoranging" type? or is there selections for resistance range?
                  if there is a selection, then start at the lowest range, and work up from there.

                  bruce

                  I am having trouble locating TP1. I can see it on the schematic but just to clarify I have a Mk3 kit/board and on which R20G is located immediately to the right of C2G (currently not in place) and no spare pad. This appears to vary from the photos in the phase 3 section of the website which shows a spare pad where you suggested.

                  No random piece of wire in use. I am using an oscilloscope probe with a BNC plug at one end to connect to MRJ unit - "all the gear and no idea!" :-)

                  Sadly, I must admit that I am not sure how to measure the resistance to ground. I have removed the power and measured with my Ohm meter between each pin and ground but still get no reading on any pin save for pin 3 which measure only 0.9R. Apologies if my lack of skills makes your blood boil....

                  --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, try measuring frequency
                  at TP1 ( pad just to the right of C2G )
                  > Any different?

                  Pull C3G ( at least one end ) from the circuit.

                  > Measure
                  frequency of pin 5 again.

                  Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:04 AM
                  > To:
                  href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase 3 test
                  errors IC1G/Si570 related?

                  > Hi Bruce,

                  Thanks again. Have checked solder at pins and all looks good. Overall, the Si570 appears to be well orientated and the soldering strongly attaching the component. I retouched with my soldering iron - voltages still good but Pin 5 frequency output is still muted. Pin 4 now at 108mhz but still moving around.

                  > I tested for power to the board from the Si 570 pins using a
                  new Benning MM7-1 DMM. The ohm meter showed no connection from Pins to ground.

                  > What would you suggest as next steps? Again, assistance
                  greatly appreciated.

                  > Cheers,
                  > Adrian

                  --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                  > > ok, I have to assume at this point the Si570
                  may be damaged...

                  > > However,
                  > >
                  > > The voltages for Si570 you gave yesterday were all ok.
                  > >
                  > > The only thing I would check is to make SURE pins 3, 4 and 5 are
                  soldered well
                  > > ( check them all, with a magnifier)
                  > >
                  > > Also, check resistance to ground of all pins ( no power to
                  board)

                  > > bruce

                  Vdc
                  > > 1 / 3.28 14 / 3.28
                  > > 2 / -- 13 / 3.28
                  > > 3
                  / 1.55 12 / --
                  > > 4 / 3.28 11 / 1.51
                  > > 5 / -- 10 /
                  3.28
                  > > 6 / 3.28 09 / --
                  > > 7 / â€" 08 / 3.28
                  > >
                  > > 73 Adrian
                  > >
                  > > --- In
                  mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                  > > > Pin 1 is fine.... no problem there
                  > > >
                  > > > you say .... "I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies
                  wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting"

                  > > > Obviously you get something, ..
                  > > >

                  > > > The question here is what frequency counter are you
                  using? ( exact model number please )

                  > > > What do you get at the
                  divider resistors for frequency? is it steady?

                  > > > What are the voltages at IC3G?
                  > > >

                  > > > Bruce
                  > > > kf1z

                  09, 2013 5:01 PM
                  > > > To: mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                  > > > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase
                  3 test errors IC1G/Si570 related?

                  > > > Hello,
                  > > >
                  > > > After purchasing a
                  G59+GPA10 kit last year, I have recently started constructing the G59. So far phase 1 and 2 have gone well, although in phase 3 I have found SMD soldering challenging. I have loaded the GSDR software (on a Mac Pro via Parallels), connected via USB and managed to update the firmware (now running v1.1.9).

                  > > > In any event, I have completed
                  phase 3 but have issues with the test results from the IC1G/Si570 and Si570 dependent test. I tested the output from my PSU and it is feeding the G59 with 13.83vdc:

                  > > > Pin / Test VDC / Actual
                  VDC
                  > > > 1 / 0 / 3.19
                  > > > 2 / 3.27 / 3.29
                  > > > 3 / 0 / 0
                  > > > 4 / 1.16 / 1.21
                  > > > 5 / 1.16
                  / 1.21
                  > > > 6 / 3.19 / 3.21
                  > > > 7 / 0 or 3.25 /
                  3.27
                  > > > 8 / 0 or 3.25 / 3.29

                  Pin 1 is clearly wrong but not exactly the same as 2, 7 or 6 yet makes me think I have some kind of interconnection. Feels like I have to desolder the Si570 and re-solder more carefully? The other pin results are small differences but are they significant?

                  > > > More of an issue is the
                  Si570 does not oscillate at 56.320mhz out of pins 4 or 5. I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting. Again it feels as though I should be desoldering and re-soldering the Si570.

                  > > > The IC2G voltages are again slightly
                  out (IN 2.84V test vs 2.94 actual; Out was okay)

                  > > > The IC3G divider tests for voltage and frequency are significantly out -
                  but that is probably related to the Si570 issues, no?

                  > > > Any guidance greatly received.

                  73

                  > > > Adrian
                  > > > 2E0CPP

                • cerfuffle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                    No frequency reading at TP1. With one lead of C3G removed I get more activity from Pin 5 but not a steady reading. It is hovering around 0.8mhz. Checked pin 4 and it gives a similar reading but is no steadier. The frequency reading of both very slowly increases with time.

                    Re: ohmmeter - I do have an auto-ranging meter but had manually shifted it to the lowest unit which is R (the alts being kR and MR). The manual tells me that it can read from 0.1R to 40MR. I re-checked the meter settings but again results are the same - no reading except from pin 3. I checked with another old ohmmeter that I dug out from my house toolbox, it gives the same readings.

                    Many thanks again!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                      the resistance readings would lead me to think that none of the pins are soldered except pin 3.

                      But even that makes no sense, because even with NO Si570 in place you would still get
                      a resistance measurement on all but 4 and 5

                      You should be reading from 3 to 7 kohms on all pins but 3

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                        Would you please email me some very close and clear pictures of the board?

                        bruce

                        Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:33 PM
                        > To:
                        href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Newbie - Help - G59 Mk3 #088 - Phase 3 test
                        errors IC1G/Si570 related?

                        > I am having trouble
                        locating TP1. I can see it on the schematic but just to clarify I have a Mk3 kit/board and on which R20G is located immediately to the right of C2G (currently not in place) and no spare pad. This appears to vary from the photos in the phase 3 section of the website which shows a spare pad where you suggested.

                        > No random piece of wire in use. I am using an
                        oscilloscope probe with a BNC plug at one end to connect to MRJ unit - "all the gear and no idea!" :-)

                        > Sadly, I must admit that I am not sure
                        how to measure the resistance to ground. I have removed the power and measured with my Ohm meter between each pin and ground but still get no reading on any pin save for pin 3 which measure only 0.9R. Apologies if my lack of skills makes your blood boil....

                        > --- In
                        mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@> wrote:

                        > > Ok, try measuring frequency at TP1 ( pad just to the right of
                        C2G )
                        > > Any different?
                        > >
                        > > Pull C3G ( at least
                        one end ) from the circuit.

                        > > Measure frequency of pin
                        5 again.
                        > > Any difference?

                        wanted you to measure the resistance to ground of each of the Si570 pads. not just looking for shorts, ]
                        > > but the actual resistance
                        measurements.

                        > > For the MFJ counter, what
                        are you using for a probe? Not just a random piece of wire I trust....

                        > > Bruce
                        > > kf1z

                        a magnifier)

                        > > > Also, check resistance to
                        ground of all pins ( no power to board)

                        > > > bruce

                        MFJ-269 Antenna Analyser (ver 4.46) which has a frequency counter function and have it plugged into an external DC PSU. FYI measuring Pin 14 on the main processor gives a steady 16Mhz - so it appears to be working. Gate refresh is set to 1 sec.

                        > > > Pin 5 Frequency: 0.002 but
                        shifting between 0.000-0.002

                        > > > Pin 4
                        Frequency: Having left the G59 powered off last night, I get a different reading this morning after powering on. The freq counter started at 0.498 and slowly but steady increased. After about 30 seconds it reached 1.000 and I stopped measuring. Have tried it 3 times now and get similar results although the starting freq. reading is always different but around where I left off on the previous test.

                        > > > At the divider resistors I
                        get no frequency reading and no voltage.

                        > > > At
                        IC2G I get 2.93V in and 4.46v Out

                        > > > For IC3G
                        - wasn't sure which pins to check but I have readings as follows:

                        > > > Pin / Vdc Pin / Vdc
                        > > > 1 / 3.28 14 /
                        3.28
                        --
                        > > > 4 / 3.28 11 / 1.51
                        > > > 5 / -- 10 /
                        3.28
                        > > > 6 / 3.28 09 / --
                        > > > 7 / â€" 08 /
                        3.28

                        > > > 73 Adrian
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z"

                        fine.... no problem there

                        .... "I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting"

                        Obviously you get something, ..

                        using? ( exact model number please )

                        What do you get at the divider resistors for frequency? is it steady?

                        / Actual VDC
                        / 3.29
                        1.21
                        3.21
                        3.25 / 3.29

                        wrong but not exactly the same as 2, 7 or 6 yet makes me think I have some kind of interconnection. Feels like I have to desolder the Si570 and re-solder more carefully? The other pin results are small differences but are they significant?

                        the Si570 does not oscillate at 56.320mhz out of pins 4 or 5. I get nothing out of Pin 5 and Pin 4 varies wildly from 7-8mhz to 53-60mhz but is constantly shifting. Again it feels as though I should be desoldering and re-soldering the Si570.

                        again slightly out (IN 2.84V test vs 2.94 actual; Out was okay)

                        frequency are significantly out - but that is probably related to the Si570 issues, no?

                        received.