Just ordered a g11 and need a sugestion on a good soundcard

  • rallen80
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
      have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
      guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
      anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
      build and cant wait to build it

      Thanks Again for any help

      Bob

      Kd0sje
    • drooster1954
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
        Hi Bob,

        I don't recommend the Creative EMU-2404 external USB sound card that I and a lot of other members have. With my Window 7 64 bit desktop I can only set in 96 bit Sample Rate since the drivers not will not work with Windows 7. So be careful when choosing the card as the EMU-2404 package stated up to window 7. I have search forever for a working driver with out any luck.. Could not get the asio4all drivers others have recommended working.

        I will move everything over to a XP laptop that I have since I understand every thing will work perfectly on XP.

        Look thru this forum and other SDR radio forums to see what other are using with Windows 8.

        I hope you well with building and setting up your G11. I love mine

        73
        David
        KK4PFH

        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

        > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
        > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
        > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
        > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
        > build and cant wait to build it
        >
        > Thanks Again for any help
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Kd0sje

      • Rom - K8ZU
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hello Bob,

          I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio and it works great for me. The Noise level is low and it gives me the 9600KHz Bandwidth with the GSDR software.

          Good luck!

          Rom - K8ZU

          I don't recommend the Creative EMU-2404 external USB sound card that I and a lot of other members have. With my Window 7 64 bit desktop I can only set in 96 bit Sample Rate since the drivers not will not work with Windows 7. So be careful when choosing the card as the EMU-2404 package stated up to window 7. I have search forever for a working driver with out any luck.. Could not get the asio4all drivers others have recommended working.

          I will move everything over to a XP laptop that I have since I understand every thing will work perfectly on XP.

          Look thru this forum and other SDR radio forums to see what other are using with Windows 8.

          I hope you well with building and setting up your G11. I love mine

          73
          David
          KK4PFH

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

          > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
          > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
          > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
          > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
          > build and cant wait to build it
          >
          > Thanks Again for any help
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > Kd0sje

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
            Hi Rom,

            Do you have any echo (undesired), ker-tink when u let up off the key, un desired burst of carrier when u key down (both in ssb & cw)?

            Do you run an amp, and what OS are you running?

            Sorry for all the questions, but I have all of those with my Turtle beach card & I'm looking for a new card.  (perhaps)

            Tnx,

            Tim W5FN

            Sent from my complicated hand-held thingie.

            I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio and it works great for me. The Noise level is low and it gives me the 9600KHz Bandwidth with the GSDR software.

            Good luck!

            Rom - K8ZU

            I don't recommend the Creative EMU-2404 external USB sound card that I and a lot of other members have. With my Window 7 64 bit desktop I can only set in 96 bit Sample Rate since the drivers not will not work with Windows 7. So be careful when choosing the card as the EMU-2404 package stated up to window 7. I have search forever for a working driver with out any luck.. Could not get the asio4all drivers others have recommended working.

            I will move everything over to a XP laptop that I have since I understand every thing will work perfectly on XP.

            Look thru this forum and other SDR radio forums to see what other are using with Windows 8.

            I hope you well with building and setting up your G11. I love mine

            73
            David
            KK4PFH

            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

            > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
            > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
            > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
            > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
            > build and cant wait to build it
            >
            > Thanks Again for any help
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > Kd0sje

          • Hank
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
              Bob,

              If you want an internal sound card, get the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It is a very good card and you will see posts recommending it. It is not the cheapest card but it works well. Newegg has it for 169.00, I paid more last year.

              I actually am running 3 sound cards, the one on the mother board which is tied into computer speakers, a Asus D1 connected to the G11 and a Asus STX connected to my G59.

              I am running windows 7 64bit. For an external am I am using Jim Veach's ARRL homebrew 50W amp. I have had good reports with both digital and ssb. I don't have much for a equalizer.

              It works equally well with both the G59 and G11.

              73,

              Hank - wz3hmt

              --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

              > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
              > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
              > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
              > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
              > build and cant wait to build it
              >
              > Thanks Again for any help
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > Kd0sje

            • Frank Eichel
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
                I am running the E-MU 0204 quite happily on my Intel core i7 laptop (Asus N82J series) at 192 kHz wide using the Windows 7 WASAPI driver, with no problems. I am just getting into calibrating the transmitter, but for receive, the card is working very well and it has a lower noise floor than the Sound Blaster XFi Pro (SB1095). I don't regret buying it.

                Frank VE7AWV

                On 16 March 2013 19:14, Hank <hank@...> wrote:

                Bob,

                If you want an internal sound card, get the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It is a very good card and you will see posts recommending it. It is not the cheapest card but it works well. Newegg has it for 169.00, I paid more last year.

                I actually am running 3 sound cards, the one on the mother board which is tied into computer speakers, a Asus D1 connected to the G11 and a Asus STX connected to my G59.

                I am running windows 7 64bit. For an external am I am using Jim Veach's ARRL homebrew 50W amp. I have had good reports with both digital and ssb. I don't have much for a equalizer.

                It works equally well with both the G59 and G11.

                73,

                Hank - wz3hmt

                --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

                > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
                > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
                > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
                > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
                > build and cant wait to build it
                >
                > Thanks Again for any help
                >
                > Bob
                >
                > Kd0sje

              • Dalojan
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
                  Hank,

                  Can you give any information about where I can find schematics and so on about the ARRL 50Watt amp. Maybe it can be used in front of the output filters of the G11 multiband filter board and integrated in the standard G11 case with additional heatsink.

                  73,
                  Jan - PA0DMM

                  Op 17-3-2013 3:14, Hank schreef:

                  Bob,

                  If you want an internal sound card, get the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It is a very good card and you will see posts recommending it. It is not the cheapest card but it works well. Newegg has it for 169.00, I paid more last year.

                  I actually am running 3 sound cards, the one on the mother board which is tied into computer speakers, a Asus D1 connected to the G11 and a Asus STX connected to my G59.

                  I am running windows 7 64bit. For an external am I am using Jim Veach's ARRL homebrew 50W amp. I have had good reports with both digital and ssb. I don't have much for a equalizer.

                  It works equally well with both the G59 and G11.

                  73,

                  Hank - wz3hmt

                  --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

                  > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
                  > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
                  > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
                  > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
                  > build and cant wait to build it
                  >
                  > Thanks Again for any help
                  >
                  > Bob
                  >
                  > Kd0sje

                • Dalojan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
                    I'm using an ESI Juli@ soundcard on Windows 7 64 bit and the 64 bit software for the radio. This sound card can doe 192 KHz sample rate but the noise is less at 96kHz sample rate and after calibration of the G11 and terminated with a 50 Ohm resistor the noise is below -140dB on the panadapter.  connecting the antenna does increase the noise with many dB's so the input attenuator is used on 80 and 40 meter band.(most noisy bands)

                    73,
                    Jan - PA0DMM

                    Op 17-3-2013 3:53, Frank Eichel schreef:

                    I am running the E-MU 0204 quite happily on my Intel core i7 laptop (Asus N82J series) at 192 kHz wide using the Windows 7 WASAPI driver, with no problems. I am just getting into calibrating the transmitter, but for receive, the card is working very well and it has a lower noise floor than the Sound Blaster XFi Pro (SB1095). I don't regret buying it.

                    Frank VE7AWV

                    On 16 March 2013 19:14, Hank <hank@...> wrote:

                    Bob,

                    If you want an internal sound card, get the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It is a very good card and you will see posts recommending it. It is not the cheapest card but it works well. Newegg has it for 169.00, I paid more last year.

                    I actually am running 3 sound cards, the one on the mother board which is tied into computer speakers, a Asus D1 connected to the G11 and a Asus STX connected to my G59.

                    I am running windows 7 64bit. For an external am I am using Jim Veach's ARRL homebrew 50W amp. I have had good reports with both digital and ssb. I don't have much for a equalizer.

                    It works equally well with both the G59 and G11.

                    73,

                    Hank - wz3hmt

                    --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rallen80" <rallen80@...> wrote:

                    > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
                    > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
                    > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
                    > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
                    > build and cant wait to build it
                    >
                    > Thanks Again for any help
                    >
                    > Bob
                    >
                    > Kd0sje

                  • Hank
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
                      Jan,

                      I built the 2nd run version. There is a group for ARRL Homebrew Challenge at the below url. Schematics are posted and I am sure you could build your own PCB.

                      They have a 3rd version which is a kit much like the G11 with all smd premounted available from HobbyPCB, but the FCC has has to provide certification so it is on hold. I don't know the specifics, but you can read about it on the group.

                      http://www.hobbypcb.com/amateur-radio/amateur-radio/hardrock-50-hf-power-amp-kit.html

                      Hope that helps.

                      73,

                      Hank - wz3hmt

                      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Dalojan <dalojan@...> wrote:

                      > Hank,
                      >
                      > Can you give any information about where I can find schematics and so on
                      > about the ARRL 50Watt amp. Maybe it can be used in front of the output
                      > filters of the G11 multiband filter board and integrated in the standard
                      > G11 case with additional heatsink.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Jan - PA0DMM
                      >

                      > Op 17-3-2013 3:14, Hank schreef:
                      > >
                      > > Bob,
                      > >
                      > > If you want an internal sound card, get the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It
                      > > is a very good card and you will see posts recommending it. It is not
                      > > the cheapest card but it works well. Newegg has it for 169.00, I paid
                      > > more last year.
                      > >
                      > > I actually am running 3 sound cards, the one on the mother board which
                      > > is tied into computer speakers, a Asus D1 connected to the G11 and a
                      > > Asus STX connected to my G59.
                      > >
                      > > I am running windows 7 64bit. For an external am I am using Jim
                      > > Veach's ARRL homebrew 50W amp. I have had good reports with both
                      > > digital and ssb. I don't have much for a equalizer.
                      > >
                      > > It works equally well with both the G59 and G11.
                      > >
                      > > 73,
                      > >
                      > > Hank - wz3hmt
                      > >
                      > > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com>, "rallen80" <rallen80@> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi just ordered a g11 and before I get it I thought I better make sure I
                      > > > have the right sound card I have a hp 2000 laptop from walmart witch iam
                      > > > guessing doesn't have a good enough sound card it runs windows 8. So if
                      > > > anyone has any sugestions I would be thankful .This is my first sdr
                      > > > build and cant wait to build it
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks Again for any help
                      > > >
                      > > > Bob
                      > > >
                      > > > Kd0sje

                    • Dalojan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
                        Hank,

                        I'm going to read the information. I think it's a nice and small amp.

                        73,

                        Jan - PA0DMM