RE: [GenesisRadio] Echo with amplifier?

  • Tim O'Hara
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
      Tim,
      I am having the exact same problem with my G59. I have tried just about every combination of the internal PC card and/or the Emu 0402 separate or in combination using a PC/game boom mic/headset and I cannot get rid of the echo. If I listen to the audio via the G59 Mic out port it sounds great. When I try to send it to one of the sound cards it has so much echo on it that it goes into saturation. If I reduce the gains to just about zero I can hear the audio on my other radio, but it does not sound very good and it doesn't drive the G59 very well. I also tried my Heil Boom/Headset with HC5 cartrige, when I use the EMU-0204 to drive it I can produce audio but it sounds scrachy and had the same echo. So I suspect its all in the sound card(s) but would love to hear of anyone having success with G59 SSB and how they did it.

      Tim-W0YV

      > To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
      > From: tim@...
      > Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 17:19:51 -0600
      > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Echo with amplifier?
      >
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > <Finally> got my amplifier for the G11 completed, and now I have about
      > 100 watts with a pair of MRF421s & low pass filter board.
      >
      > However, I noticed that when I turned on the amp (even into a dummy
      > load), there appears to be a bit of an echo on my signal.
      >
      > I checked with the antenna connected (a guy with a Flex recorded me),
      > and sure enough, there's a small echo.
      >
      > Just wondered if anybody else has experienced the same thing.
      >
      > The SWR meter on the G11 is happy, so the match into the amp appears to
      > be OK.
      >
      > I have all supplies & computer running off of the same power strip.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Tim W5FN

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > GenesisRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > GenesisRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Tim
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 11, 2013
        Since I am finishing up the G11 project (and starting to clean up
        things), I have noticed a couple of more things that may be related to
        the echo.

        I notice that whenever I go from RX to TX, that there is an RF pulse of
        full power that comes out of the TX. The pulse width can vary from 10
        to about 50mS.

        This happens on both SSB and CW. .

        Now, going from TX to RX, there is an audible 'ker-chirp' whenever I
        letup on the PTT, or after the last touch of the key. Most of the time
        I wouldn't hear it on CW, unless I have the bandwidth opened up with the
        slider.

        Anybody else have these issues?

        Thanks!!

        Tim W5FN
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 11, 2013
          I would like to get some information from those of you that have working
          G11s.

          1. What sound card are you using?
          2. Do you have any of the things that I reported below?

          I am trying to see if perhaps it is my soundcard that is giving me the
          problems
          with the ker-chirps & the RF pulse (and hopefully with the echo issue).

          thanks,

          Tim W5FN

          > Since I am finishing up the G11 project (and starting to clean up
          > things), I have noticed a couple of more things that may be related to
          > the echo.
          >
          > I notice that whenever I go from RX to TX, that there is an RF pulse of
          > full power that comes out of the TX. The pulse width can vary from 10
          > to about 50mS.
          >
          > This happens on both SSB and CW. .
          >
          > Now, going from TX to RX, there is an audible 'ker-chirp' whenever I
          > letup on the PTT, or after the last touch of the key. Most of the time
          > I wouldn't hear it on CW, unless I have the bandwidth opened up with the
          > slider.
          >
          > Anybody else have these issues?
          >

          > Thanks!!
          >
          > Tim W5FN

        • vk6abm
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 11, 2013
            Tim
            Re your questions -
            1. I am using an Eridol FA-66 in supported mode

            2. I did experience an echo when I tried to set up as unsupported sound card - the echo was attributed to having VAC tab selected and the secondary channel using the same input as the main audio channel - the extra latency creating the echo - I do recall a type of 'ker-chirp' with that setup too - I gave up on the unsupported mode but that might not be an option for you

            Your earlier emails indicated the echo was present with the amplifier connected - did you confirm that the G11 into D/L is echo free?(level could be quite low)

            73
            Brian

            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

            > I would like to get some information from those of you that have working
            > G11s.
            >
            > 1. What sound card are you using?
            > 2. Do you have any of the things that I reported below?
            >
            > I am trying to see if perhaps it is my soundcard that is giving me the
            > problems
            > with the ker-chirps & the RF pulse (and hopefully with the echo issue).
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > Tim W5FN
            >

            > > Since I am finishing up the G11 project (and starting to clean up
            > > things), I have noticed a couple of more things that may be related to
            > > the echo.
            > >
            > > I notice that whenever I go from RX to TX, that there is an RF pulse of
            > > full power that comes out of the TX. The pulse width can vary from 10
            > > to about 50mS.
            > >
            > > This happens on both SSB and CW. .
            > >
            > > Now, going from TX to RX, there is an audible 'ker-chirp' whenever I
            > > letup on the PTT, or after the last touch of the key. Most of the time
            > > I wouldn't hear it on CW, unless I have the bandwidth opened up with the
            > > slider.
            > >
            > > Anybody else have these issues?
            > >

            > > Thanks!!
            > >
            > > Tim W5FN

          • Tim
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 11, 2013
              Hi Brian,

              Thanks for the info.  I do hear some amount of echo even with the amplifier disconnected, however when connected it's really noticeable.

              I wonder if someone else may have a Turtle Beach card that doesn't exhibit the echo and chirp.

              Thanks again!

              Tim W5FN

                 1. I am using an Eridol FA-66 in supported mode

                 2. I did experience an echo when I tried to set up as unsupported sound card - the echo was attributed to having VAC tab selected and the secondary channel using the same input as the main audio channel - the extra latency creating the echo - I do recall a type of 'ker-chirp' with that setup too - I gave up on the unsupported mode but that might not be an option for you

              Your earlier emails indicated the echo was present with the amplifier connected - did you confirm that the G11 into D/L is echo free?(level could be quite low)

              73
              Brian

              --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

              > I would like to get some information from those of you that have working
              > G11s.
              >
              > 1.  What sound card are you using?
              > 2.  Do you have any of the things that I reported below?
              >
              > I am trying to see if perhaps it is my soundcard that is giving me the
              > problems
              > with the ker-chirps & the RF pulse (and hopefully with the echo issue).
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Tim W5FN
              >

              > > Since I am finishing up the G11 project (and starting to clean up
              > > things), I have noticed a couple of more things that may be related to
              > > the echo.
              > >
              > > I notice that  whenever I go from RX to TX, that there is an RF pulse of
              > > full power that comes out of the TX.  The pulse width can vary from 10
              > > to about 50mS.
              > >
              > > This happens on both SSB and CW. .
              > >
              > > Now, going from TX to RX, there is an audible 'ker-chirp' whenever I
              > > letup on the PTT, or after the last touch of the key.  Most of the time
              > > I wouldn't hear it on CW, unless I have the bandwidth opened up with the
              > > slider.
              > >
              > > Anybody else have these issues?
              > >

              > > Thanks!!
              > >
              > > Tim W5FN

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  GenesisRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  GenesisRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Goran
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                Disconnect audio output from G11 input and connect headphones. Set TX IF shift to 0 and try Phone modes (set TX IF shift to 700 for CW test). This is transmit I/Q modulate signal and all imperfection can be easily heard. Or, even better, connect to another sound card input and start another SDR program (usually Winrad because absence automatic image corrections). Now you have cheap AF spectrum analyzer. All RX/TX transitions, unwanted by-product are displayed and heard. This method is sufficient for software troubleshooting.

                73 yt7pwr

                --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

                > Hi Brian,
                >
                > Thanks for the info. I do hear some amount of echo even with the amplifier disconnected, however when connected it's really noticeable.
                >
                > I wonder if someone else may have a Turtle Beach card that doesn't exhibit the echo and chirp.
                >
                > Thanks again!
                >
                > Tim W5FN

              • Dalojan
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Hello Tim,

                  I'm using a G11 serial number 140, use an ESI juli@ soundcard at 96kHz
                  sample rate, 192kHz is not as good as 96 kHz due too increased noise. I
                  also have a peak in the output at almost every start of transmission but
                  it is not to full power, it is about 25 to 50% power and not alsways the
                  same level. I did find out that settings of the compressor end compander
                  do influence this, at least in my case.
                  The PC is running Windows 7 on an i7 2900k CPU and 16 G of ram.

                  73 de PA0DMM