Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the KW broadcasters ?

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
      oh...
      In a previous email, you mentions "2 wire links"
      Not sure what you meant..?

      I ASSUMED when I read it to mean the temporary jumper wire between J1B and J2B  is this what you meant?
      is this jumper inplace, and it IS in the correct pins?

      ( page 7 of assembly manual)

      Bruce

      Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the KW broadcasters ?

      before you go diving into the circuit theory etc, let's make sure you have the soundcard and radio setup correctly first.

      First off, what IS the soundcard?

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
        I am using an old Maudio USB Audiophile, I was using the built in sound in the PC but thought this would be better. I am using a Laptop Macbook pro actually but running Win7,

        Just a thought there is only one power indicating led built into the board ? excluding the one that is put in ?

        I have set RX2 in the hardware config any other settings to check no filters selected.

        Cliff

        > before you go diving into the circuit theory etc, let's make sure you have the soundcard and radio setup correctly first.
        >
        > First off, what IS the soundcard?

      • Cliff
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
          Hi Bruce,
          No just one of the little black two pin jumpers not the wire , I have the others in place, I just used one pin of the 4pin lead to jump the other one . J1B and J2B

          My software show TX in red next to the VFO , I am using the screen with the analog style S-meter.
          Cliff

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
            that's why you have no signal.

            Since you have not installed the band-pass filter, there is no RF path.

            So you HAVE to add the temporary wire! ( or install the BPF)

            The 2 black jumpers are useless with no BPF installed

            The red "TX" is normal, this does NOT mean the unit is transmitting

            --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

            > oh...
            > In a previous email, you
            mentions "2 wire links"
            > Not sure what you meant..?

            ASSUMED when I read it to mean the temporary jumper wire between J1B and J2B is this what you meant?
            > is this jumper inplace, and it IS in the correct
            pins?

            > ( page 7 of assembly manual)

            Bruce

            Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:11 PM
            > To:
            href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the
            KW broadcasters ?

            > before you go diving into
            the circuit theory etc, let's make sure you have the soundcard and radio setup correctly first.

            > First off, what IS the soundcard?

            7:55 PM
            > To:
            href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the KW
            broadcasters ?

            > Thanks for everyones input seems I can
            get a signal through but have to wind my sig generator up pretty high to see anything , that can't be right.

            > Hope the board isn't faulty or
            if I damaged it can't see how though.

            > Rechecked all the
            readings from the beginning and all voltages etc are correct.

            Just lacks any sensitivity

            > I'll do some more testing
            today.

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
              oh
              I guess I misread the email

              You mean that you have the Locals oscillator jumpers ( little black ones, 2 of them)

              And used one lead of the 4 conductor cable to jump J1B to J2B ?

              Now that I reread it, I believe this is what you mean....?

              If that is the case, just make sure that you have it connected to the right pins.

              On the soundcard
              Did you check windows sound device settings to see what the input level is set to ?

              bruce

              No just one of the little black two pin jumpers not the wire , I have the others in place, I just used one pin of the 4pin lead to jump the other one . J1B and J2B

              My software show TX in red next to the VFO , I am using the screen with the analog style S-meter.
              Cliff

              --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

              > oh...
              > In a previous email, you
              mentions "2 wire links"
              > Not sure what you meant..?

              ASSUMED when I read it to mean the temporary jumper wire between J1B and J2B is this what you meant?
              > is this jumper inplace, and it IS in the correct
              pins?

              > ( page 7 of assembly manual)

              Bruce

              Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:11 PM
              > To:
              href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the
              KW broadcasters ?

              > before you go diving into
              the circuit theory etc, let's make sure you have the soundcard and radio setup correctly first.

              > First off, what IS the soundcard?

              7:55 PM
              > To:
              href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not even the KW
              broadcasters ?

              > Thanks for everyones input seems I can
              get a signal through but have to wind my sig generator up pretty high to see anything , that can't be right.

              > Hope the board isn't faulty or
              if I damaged it can't see how though.

              > Rechecked all the
              readings from the beginning and all voltages etc are correct.

              Just lacks any sensitivity

              > I'll do some more testing
              today.

              > Cliff
              >
              > --- In

            • Cliff
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
                I sent some pics via gmail to you Bruce

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
                  In those pics... you DO NOT  have the board connected to the soundcard correctly.

                  The cable you have connected to the board in the picture goes to the soundcard LINE OUT

                  the jack that you need to connect to soundcard line in is the one at the far end of the board.

                  See the last page or two of the manual for a picture and chart

                  Bruce

                  --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

                  > oh
                  > I guess I misread the
                  email

                  > You mean that you have the Locals oscillator jumpers (
                  little black ones, 2 of them)

                  > And used one lead of the 4
                  conductor cable to jump J1B to J2B ?

                  > Now that I reread it, I
                  believe this is what you mean....?

                  > If that is the
                  case, just make sure that you have it connected to the right pins.

                  > On the soundcard
                  > Did you check windows sound device
                  settings to see what the input level is set to ?

                  > bruce

                  soundcard?

                  lacks any sensitivity

                  > > I'll do some more testing
                  today.

                  > > Cliff
                  > >
                  > > ---
                  In

                • Cliff
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
                    Ok Bruce think I am getting somewhere ,

                    I now have a much flatter spectrum with just a small peak in the middle , but now the preamp and attenuator do something, still no stations at all. Just Noise. Again Antenna or no Antenna the same.

                    IN the pic I sent you I have only the one multiplier jumper connected I believe that is correct and on my frequency counter the test point follows the VFO so I believe that is correct.

                    Cliff

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
                      the pics aren't big enough for me to see that....

                      but it is NOT correct if you only have one!

                      You should have J3L and J2L jumpered for 600m version

                      To: mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com

                      KF1Z" wrote:

                      > > oh
                      > > I guess I misread the
                      email

                      > > You mean that you have the Locals oscillator
                      jumpers ( little black ones, 2 of them)

                      > > And used one
                      lead of the 4 conductor cable to jump J1B to J2B ?

                      Now that I reread it, I believe this is what you mean....?

                      > > If that is the case, just make sure that you have it
                      connected to the right pins.

                      > > On the
                      soundcard
                      > > Did you check windows sound device settings to see what
                      the input level is set to ?

                      > > bruce

                      02, 2013 10:13 PM
                      > > To: mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
                      > > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: No Receive on my new G11 ? not
                      even the KW broadcasters ?

                      > > that's why you have no signal.
                      > >
                      > > Since you have
                      not installed the band-pass filter, there is no RF path.

                      > > So you HAVE to add the temporary wire! ( or install the BPF)
                      > >
                      > > The 2 black jumpers are useless with no BPF installed
                      > >

                      > > The red "TX" is normal, this does NOT
                      mean the unit is transmitting

                      bruce

                      page 7 of assembly manual)

                      > > > Bruce

                      sensitivity

                      > > > I'll do some more testing
                      today.

                      > > > Cliff
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In

                    • Cliff
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
                        OK,

                        What jumpers for just the HF version just want to receive something.?

                        I'll see if I can receive the NDB's

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
                          J1L only for HF

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Hi Bruce,

                            I have tried both the HF and 600M jumper settings and get nothing

                            I am open to ideas ? wher to next, I have basic test gear if required cro,dvm sig gen.

                            Don't have gear for surface mount that is the reason the G11 appealed to me.

                            regards,
                            Cliff

                            > J1L only for HF

                          • VK2DX
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Cliff-

                              you need help with basics, come to see me one Sunday and I'll show you how it's done. Leave Bruce alone, he can't help you.
                              I am your man.

                              Call me on 02 9232 0500 during b/h

                              Nick VK2DX