Re: 20 Meter Bandpass filter capacitor placement of c32b and c33b

  • Hank
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      Bruce,

      I caught this post and happened to have my G59 opened up to replace the power and transmit LED's. I checked mine first G59 which was a Mark II board and noticed that I had installed C33/C32 opposite of the picture. 20M works for me but do you think I would notice an improvement if I switched the CAP's to what they should be.

      It's pretty tight in there with all the caps installed. I am thinking to order replacement caps first before I try if you thought it would be worth the effort. You know if it work's don't fix it.

      73,

      Hank - wz3hmt

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        Yes, I assume you would see a difference.

        Just be sure what you have before removing anything!  Smile

        If you look at the pictures.... you'll see there are 4 caps right next to the relay for each band.
        The "top" and the "bottom" caps, must be the same value.
        ( these are the input and output caps for the filter.)

        But easy way is to go by the pictures, and component designator.

        You can check by removing the 3 wire cable K4.
        This bypasses the BP filter section.

        You should not see more than 1 or 2 db difference in signal strength
        with it connected, compared to disconnected.

        --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

        > Go by the picture on the website.
        >
        > Ignore the silkscreen in this case.
        >

        > The tag
        was changed on the picture, instead of changing the component list value

        ( I guess it was easier at the time?)

        > The picture tags
        used with the component designator list , is correct.

        href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com

        href="http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G59/phase7.html">http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G59/phase7.html

        -> http://genesisradio.com.au/G59/pictures/g59_134.jpg

        > This silkscreen says c32b is above c33b, but the picture shows c33b
        above c32b.

        > BOM says:
        > c32b is 220pF
        > c33b is
        4.7pF

        > Thank you!
        >
        > Daniel

        KE6PQV

      • Hank
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
          Bruce,

          Thanks, that is an excellent idea to check w/o the BPF in place. I should have thought of that myself.

          Will verify the top and bottom cap are the same value as well.

          73,

          Hank - wz3hmt