20 Meter Bandpass filter capacitor placement of c32b and c33b

  • the_13th_saint_at_your_bidding
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hello all,

      Can I get confirmation of which is correct placement for the 20 Meter bandpass capacitors for the mark 3 G59? the silkscreen and the picture for c33b above c32b are conflicting.

      phase 7, http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G59/phase7.html
      -> http://genesisradio.com.au/G59/pictures/g59_134.jpg

      This silkscreen says c32b is above c33b, but the picture shows c33b above c32b.

      BOM says:
      c32b is 220pF
      c33b is 4.7pF

      Thank you!

      Daniel
      KE6PQV
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
        Go by the picture on the website.

        Ignore the silkscreen in this case.

        The tag was changed on the picture, instead of changing the component list value
        ( I guess it was easier at the time?)

        The picture tags used with the component designator list , is correct.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
          Thank you Bruce. Going with the picture, not the silkscreen on this one.

          Daniel
          KE6PQV

          > Go by the picture on the website.
          >
          > Ignore the silkscreen in this case.
          >

          > The tag was changed on the picture, instead of changing the component list value
          > ( I guess it was easier at the time?)
          >

          > The picture tags used with the component designator list , is correct.

        • Hank
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013

            I caught this post and happened to have my G59 opened up to replace the power and transmit LED's. I checked mine first G59 which was a Mark II board and noticed that I had installed C33/C32 opposite of the picture. 20M works for me but do you think I would notice an improvement if I switched the CAP's to what they should be.

            It's pretty tight in there with all the caps installed. I am thinking to order replacement caps first before I try if you thought it would be worth the effort. You know if it work's don't fix it.

            73,

            Hank - wz3hmt

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
              Yes, I assume you would see a difference.

              Just be sure what you have before removing anything!  Smile

              If you look at the pictures.... you'll see there are 4 caps right next to the relay for each band.
              The "top" and the "bottom" caps, must be the same value.
              ( these are the input and output caps for the filter.)

              But easy way is to go by the pictures, and component designator.

              You can check by removing the 3 wire cable K4.
              This bypasses the BP filter section.

              You should not see more than 1 or 2 db difference in signal strength
              with it connected, compared to disconnected.

              Bruce

              --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

              > Go by the picture on the website.
              >
              > Ignore the silkscreen in this case.
              >

              > The tag
              was changed on the picture, instead of changing the component list value

              ( I guess it was easier at the time?)

              > The picture tags
              used with the component designator list , is correct.

              href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com

              href="http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G59/phase7.html">http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G59/phase7.html

              -> http://genesisradio.com.au/G59/pictures/g59_134.jpg

              > This silkscreen says c32b is above c33b, but the picture shows c33b
              above c32b.

              > BOM says:
              > c32b is 220pF
              > c33b is
              4.7pF

              > Thank you!
              >
              > Daniel

              KE6PQV

            • Hank
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013

                Thanks, that is an excellent idea to check w/o the BPF in place. I should have thought of that myself.

                Will verify the top and bottom cap are the same value as well.

                73,

                Hank - wz3hmt