Re: Super Cardoid Mic

  • tom Pawlik
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
      Bruce, I don't know if you read my latest posting, it's definitely a
      dynamic mic. You suggested a 1uF cap. Can I use an electrolytic cap?
      If so, which way polarity wise? Also you mentioned "cut the trace after the KP7 pin". Do you mean the nearest jumper, ks3?

      Tom

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
        Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,

        You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7

        Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )

        Bruce

        Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:20 PM
        Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Super Cardoid Mic

        --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

        > That's a dynamic mic right?

        No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...

        > But I think
        you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.

        > You could put it in the XLR connector
        body.....

        > Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and
        the cap there.

        > Probably a 1uF would suffice

        Bruce

        18, 2013 12:57 PM
        > To:
        href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic
        >

        > what is the model of the microphone?
        >
        > bruce

        kc9tgf

      • tom Pawlik
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
          Thanks, just picked up a 1uF non polarized cap. I'll see how it goess
          later on today.

          Tom

          > Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,
          >
          > You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7
          >
          > Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )
          >

          > Bruce

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            Hi Tom, Bruce and group

            I just made a schematic drawing on Bruce explanation in circuitlab.com and I guess the link should be be available as public. (just click or copy the link below and open in browser)

            https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/8n2yqd/mic-amp/

            It is more an information on a handy tool on the net and not so much about the explanation on the mod.

            Some time a simplified drawing tell lot more than words.
            I have not put any values in the schematic for obvious reason.
            Hope I don't violate any copyrights.

            OY3A Anfinn