Ouch! New postal rates!

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 19, 2013
      All,
      I knew the post office was going to change the rates... but WOW.

      I just packed and labeled some kits and enclosures, replacement parts etc....
      I expected just under $100 for what I packed today. the total bill was just over $130.

      Not a happy camper.... even the parts I put in a flat-rate box, that up until last week were $16.95 ( priority mail international)
      Were $23.95 today!!!

      I do all I can to keep rates low, and fair.... but I don't know where this will lead.
      If I use regular 1st class, parcel post, the rates are lower, but means I have to travel to the post office, and spend time there hand-writing customs forms.
      As opposed to sitting here and copy/paste addresses into the USPS website and handing the packages to the rural postman.
      ( and would only be able to get out to the PO once a week at most...)

      Plus, insurance and tracking is not available for most countries with parcel post ( and if it is, it means MORE paperwork at the PO)

      So, I have to raise the shipping costs by $5 to $9

      Still going over rates to different countries, to see what I can do.
      May have to set up with some other carrier if rates are lower. Really not sure what I'll do at this point.

      Not good!

    • Tfry

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 19, 2013
          <rant>

          You know,

          The thing is is that some countries charge the buyer ( receiver of a package) tax ON THE SHIPPING COSTS! as well as the value of the contents.

          So this is just another stab at people in those countries too.

          One of the packages today really makes me unhappy....

          I am shipping a G11 enclosure only to Croatia.

          The cost of the enclosure $60
          The shipping charges listed on the order page  $44 ( which is already too high when you compare product cost to shipping ratio!)

          The ACTUAL price I paid to ship ....  $50.51

          To have to change the rate to $51, makes the total cost for the customer $111, usd  plus any import taxes ( VAT etc) that the buyer has to pay.

          It just isn't right!

          Keep in mind, I'm not complaining that I had to pay more shipping than what I charged, and loose pretty much ALL 'profit' I would have made.....
          As much as I want people to be able to get these kits at a fair price ( read..LOW  ..  Smile  )

          Of course, if the shipping rates go up $5, I have to charge $5.20 more ( more paypal fees! )

          I don't know...

          I'll figure it out.

          Just on a rant because it ticks me off!

          Smile

          But you are right, for the most part, it means the cost of the product goes up, and is unavoidable , and unfortunate.

          Bruce

          </rant>

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 19, 2013
            Hi Bruce,

            The best way to serve European customers is to ship from within Europe (=EU zone plus the UK).
            In this case European customers don't have to pay the extra import tax to the delivery person of about 100US$ for a G11 plus enclosure.
            For example last year I bought a Bengali keyer directly from I2RTF in Italy and I did not have to pay anything extra at the door. A bengali keyer is in the same price range as a G11 + enclosure.

            Another alternative is for all countries world wide not to ship from the US but from China or so. I believe the import rates for packages coming from China are significantly lower than for packages originating from the US.

            Just my $0.02

            73, Gerard PA7CW

            On Feb 19, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Bruce KF1Z <kf1z@...> wrote:

[...]

            As much as I want people to be able to get these kits at a fair price ( read..LOW  ..  <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>  )

            Of course, if the shipping rates go up $5, I have to charge $5.20 more ( more paypal fees! )

            I don't know...

            I'll figure it out.

            Just on a rant because it ticks me off!

            <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 21, 2013
              Hi All,

              Just got the all band filter board completed and installed, now I can
              monitor the 10 & 6 meter repeaters.

              Is there a way to reduce the level of the received sub-audible tones
              (which aren't too sub audible)?!

              Guess that's the price we pay for having nice speakers, sound cards, etc!

              Thanks,

              Tim W5FN
            • Tim
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
                Hi All,

                I am currently running version 29102012.

                When I either do a left click and drag, or use the keys to move up/down
                the frequency, when it goes across a ham band boundary, it will jump to
                another frequency rather than smoothly going across the threshold.

                Using the 'mouse hover' technique, when I hover over the 10khz digit,
                things seem to work fine. However, if I hover over the 100khz digit, it
                does not increment in 100khz.

                For example:

                Start at
                7223.000
                7308.402
                4399.402
                7442.402..
                continuing until I cross 10mHz

                10022.402 then it jumps back to
                7270.402 (while still showing GEN in the 'band'.

                Could there be something wrong in the database that is causing these
                oddities?

                BTW, I cannot run the latest version of the software, as when I try to
                use the click and drag to move the frequency, it takes several seconds
                for the computer to recognize that I have clicked. Then it does not
                move as fast as on this revision software. I am running XP with SP3.

                Thanks,

                Tim W5FN
              • Goran
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
                  It's a software bug. For now don't expect fix for this problem until G6 is finished.

                  73 yt7pwr

                  --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > I am currently running version 29102012.
                  >
                  > When I either do a left click and drag, or use the keys to move up/down
                  > the frequency, when it goes across a ham band boundary, it will jump to
                  > another frequency rather than smoothly going across the threshold.
                  >
                  > Using the 'mouse hover' technique, when I hover over the 10khz digit,
                  > things seem to work fine. However, if I hover over the 100khz digit, it
                  > does not increment in 100khz.
                  >
                  > For example:
                  >
                  > Start at
                  > 7223.000
                  > 7308.402
                  > 4399.402
                  > 7442.402..
                  > continuing until I cross 10mHz
                  >
                  > 10022.402 then it jumps back to
                  > 7270.402 (while still showing GEN in the 'band'.
                  >
                  > Could there be something wrong in the database that is causing these
                  > oddities?
                  >
                  > BTW, I cannot run the latest version of the software, as when I try to
                  > use the click and drag to move the frequency, it takes several seconds
                  > for the computer to recognize that I have clicked. Then it does not
                  > move as fast as on this revision software. I am running XP with SP3.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >

                  > Tim W5FN

                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Hi Goran,

                    Ok, thanks! Now I know it's not something I'm doing. I can live with it.

                    cu

                    Tim W5FN

                    > It's a software bug. For now don't expect fix for this problem until G6 is finished.
                    >

                    > 73 yt7pwr
                    >

                    > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:
                    >> Hi All,
                    >>
                    >> I am currently running version 29102012.
                    >>
                    >> When I either do a left click and drag, or use the keys to move up/down
                    >> the frequency, when it goes across a ham band boundary, it will jump to
                    >> another frequency rather than smoothly going across the threshold.
                    >>
                    >> Using the 'mouse hover' technique, when I hover over the 10khz digit,
                    >> things seem to work fine. However, if I hover over the 100khz digit, it
                    >> does not increment in 100khz.
                    >>
                    >> For example:
                    >>
                    >> Start at
                    >> 7223.000
                    >> 7308.402
                    >> 4399.402
                    >> 7442.402..
                    >> continuing until I cross 10mHz
                    >>
                    >> 10022.402 then it jumps back to
                    >> 7270.402 (while still showing GEN in the 'band'.
                    >>
                    >> Could there be something wrong in the database that is causing these
                    >> oddities?
                    >>
                    >> BTW, I cannot run the latest version of the software, as when I try to
                    >> use the click and drag to move the frequency, it takes several seconds
                    >> for the computer to recognize that I have clicked. Then it does not
                    >> move as fast as on this revision software. I am running XP with SP3.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks,
                    >>

                    >> Tim W5FN

                  • Tim
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Couple of questions about the TX/RX switching:

                      SSB - When the system 'unkeys' (going from TX back to RX), I hear a
                      little 'chirp'. Just wondered if this is normal. (the rig talks fine)

                      CW - When unkeying, it takes about 300 ms for the audio to come back,
                      and I hear a little ker-tunk. Also wondering if this is normal.

                      Thanks!

                      TIm W5FN
                    • Tim
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2013
                        Hi All,

                        I started to try & get the guy from Clipperton last night, and found
                        that in the split mode the sidetone went away.

                        So I just used the XIT to try & make the contact - that worked OK. (but
                        not good enough to make the contact!!!)

                        The 'MON' was still on, but nothing. Just wondering.

                        Thanks,

                        Tim W5FN
                      • Goran
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2013
                          In SPLIT active transmit mode is VFOB DSP mode. GSDR allows various modulation combinations VFOA/VFOB (example is LSB/USB for satellite work). When subRX is active double right mouse click (red vertical bar) and change mode, filter or DSP stuff( NB,NB2,NR,ANF).

                          73 yt7pwr

                          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > I started to try & get the guy from Clipperton last night, and found
                          > that in the split mode the sidetone went away.
                          >
                          > So I just used the XIT to try & make the contact - that worked OK. (but
                          > not good enough to make the contact!!!)
                          >
                          > The 'MON' was still on, but nothing. Just wondering.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Tim W5FN

                        • Tim
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 4, 2013
                            Hi Goran,

                            Thank you!

                            Indeed, I was on a different mode on VFOB.

                            thanks!

                            Tim W5FN