Re: Super Cardoid Mic

  • tom Pawlik
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
      Bruce, it's a dynamic mic with a super cordioid element. I didn't have a chance
      to really look inside' but I suspect it don't have a cap at all. I'm going to cut
      the trace on the board and install the cap you suggested. The wires at the element are
      really too small for me to deal with.
      Tom

      > That's a dynamic mic right?
      >
      > No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...
      >
      > But I think you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.
      >
      > You could put it in the XLR connector body.....
      >
      > Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and the cap there.
      >
      > Probably a 1uF would suffice
      >
      > Bruce

    • tom Pawlik
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
        Bruce, I don't know if you read my latest posting, it's definitely a
        dynamic mic. You suggested a 1uF cap. Can I use an electrolytic cap?
        If so, which way polarity wise? Also you mentioned "cut the trace after the KP7 pin". Do you mean the nearest jumper, ks3?

        Tom

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
          Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,

          You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7

          Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )

          Bruce

          Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:20 PM
          Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Super Cardoid Mic

          --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

          > That's a dynamic mic right?

          No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...

          > But I think
          you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.

          > You could put it in the XLR connector
          body.....

          > Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and
          the cap there.

          > Probably a 1uF would suffice

          Bruce

          18, 2013 12:57 PM
          > To:
          href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic
          >

          > what is the model of the microphone?
          >
          > bruce

          kc9tgf

        • tom Pawlik
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            Thanks, just picked up a 1uF non polarized cap. I'll see how it goess
            later on today.

            Tom

            > Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,
            >
            > You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7
            >
            > Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )
            >

            > Bruce

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
              Hi Tom, Bruce and group

              I just made a schematic drawing on Bruce explanation in circuitlab.com and I guess the link should be be available as public. (just click or copy the link below and open in browser)

              https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/8n2yqd/mic-amp/

              It is more an information on a handy tool on the net and not so much about the explanation on the mod.

              Some time a simplified drawing tell lot more than words.
              I have not put any values in the schematic for obvious reason.
              Hope I don't violate any copyrights.

              OY3A Anfinn