Re: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
      That's a dynamic mic right?

      No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...

      But I think you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.

      You could put it in the XLR connector body.....

      Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and the cap there.

      Probably a 1uF   would suffice

      Bruce

      Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 12:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic

      what is the model of the microphone?

      bruce

      Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 12:14 PM
      Subject: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic

      Hello all,
      The other day, I purchased a pretty decent mic from
      Radio Shack for $4o. It's got a XLR connnector at the
      base of the mic body. It came with the cable having a
      xlr connector at one end and a 1/4" phone plug at the
      other. It doesn't seem that it require a dc power at all.
      However, when I plug it in to KP7 on my G59, mk2, the
      LED1z goes out. From what I gathered from similar messages
      I fear it not a good sign and it might be loading down
      the IC in the preamp. Must I use a blocking cap and how
      would I hook it up. I thought that these mics had these
      caps built in.

      Tom kc9tgf

    • tom Pawlik
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
        Bruce, it's a dynamic mic with a super cordioid element. I didn't have a chance
        to really look inside' but I suspect it don't have a cap at all. I'm going to cut
        the trace on the board and install the cap you suggested. The wires at the element are
        really too small for me to deal with.
        Tom

        > That's a dynamic mic right?
        >
        > No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...
        >
        > But I think you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.
        >
        > You could put it in the XLR connector body.....
        >
        > Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and the cap there.
        >
        > Probably a 1uF would suffice
        >
        > Bruce

      • tom Pawlik
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
          Bruce, I don't know if you read my latest posting, it's definitely a
          dynamic mic. You suggested a 1uF cap. Can I use an electrolytic cap?
          If so, which way polarity wise? Also you mentioned "cut the trace after the KP7 pin". Do you mean the nearest jumper, ks3?

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,

            You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7

            Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )

            Bruce

            Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:20 PM
            Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: Super Cardoid Mic

            --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

            > That's a dynamic mic right?

            No, they do not usually put a blocking cap in...

            > But I think
            you need one, because the mic makes for a direct path to ground for the output of the mic amp IC.

            > You could put it in the XLR connector
            body.....

            > Or cut the trace on G59 just after the KP7 pin, and
            the cap there.

            > Probably a 1uF would suffice

            Bruce

            18, 2013 12:57 PM
            > To:
            href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Super Cardoid Mic
            >

            > what is the model of the microphone?
            >
            > bruce

            kc9tgf

          • tom Pawlik
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
              Thanks, just picked up a 1uF non polarized cap. I'll see how it goess
              later on today.

              Tom

              > Just cut the "tip" trace right at ( after) the KP7 connector,
              >
              > You may be able to use an electrolytic... "-" towards KP7
              >
              > Or, you could use 2 electrolytics in parallel , but reversed polarity ( one cap one way, one the other )
              >

              > Bruce

            • Joe
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
                Hi Tom, Bruce and group

                I just made a schematic drawing on Bruce explanation in circuitlab.com and I guess the link should be be available as public. (just click or copy the link below and open in browser)

                https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/8n2yqd/mic-amp/

                It is more an information on a handy tool on the net and not so much about the explanation on the mod.

                Some time a simplified drawing tell lot more than words.
                I have not put any values in the schematic for obvious reason.
                Hope I don't violate any copyrights.

                OY3A Anfinn