Re: GSDR

  • ve7mid
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2010
      OK The problem has gone away when I tried installing it in C:/programs.

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ve7mid" <keith.witney@...> wrote:

      > OK I am stumped.
      >
      > I can start and use GSDR from the zipped folder but if I extract it into a folder I get a message saying "Database not found" and suggesting installing MDAC 2.8. If I try to do this I am told that it is incompatible with my version of windows (XP pro) and that it is already a part of XP pro. I have searched for the database files and moved them around but that doesn't help. I have a powerSDR40 V1.9.0 installed which also works.
      >
      > When it is working from the zipped folder, it works well. A little easier to set up. Having to initialize it each time is a bit of a pain.

    • Preston
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 4, 2010
        Keith,

        I had the same experience but didn't know is this was the problem in my netbook. I should have told you about it, but didn't know if this could really be the cure. I will add it to the FAQ as a suggestion for others who follow. Thanks for posting it.

        Preston WJ2V
      • Al Mecozzi WA8LBZ
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 22, 2010
          I have two questions:

          1. How can you tell if you are using the latest version of GSDR?

          2. Does information exist some place that describes all of the options
          in GSDR? I have looked and come up with bits and pieces here and there.

          73, Al WA8LBZ
        • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 23, 2010
            If you have the newest version.. it says:
            "Genesis Radio v1.1 12072010"

            In the upper left corner of the main screen.

            Find the SDR-1000 operating manual in the files section of the group.
            This is for the Flex-SDR1000, but a LOT of the controls in the software are the same.
            Obviousl, some aren't.

            Hopefully soon we will have a GSDR specific user manual.

            Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:37 PM
            Subject: [GenesisRadio] GSDR

            I have two questions:

            1. How can you tell if you are using the latest version of GSDR?

            2. Does information exist some place that describes all of the options
            in GSDR? I have looked and come up with bits and pieces here and there.

            73, Al WA8LBZ

            Database version: 6.15700

            Database version: 6.15710
          • Al Mecozzi WA8LBZ
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 23, 2010
              Thanks for the information Bruce. Looking forward to seeing the GSDR
              specific user manual. 73, Al WA8LBZ

            • rltucker@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 9, 2010
                Please tell me exactly where I will find the latest version of GSDR that works with the G3020 transceiver. Thanks in advance and best 73.
                Robert
                K5TD
              • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 9, 2010

                  Please tell me exactly where I will find the latest version of GSDR that works with the G3020 transceiver. Thanks in advance and best 73.
                  Robert
                  K5TD

                  Database version: 6.15840

                  Database version: 6.15840
                • Robert L. Tucker
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 9, 2010

                    On Sep 9, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z wrote:

                    Many thanks.

                    Robert
                    K5TD

                  • Robert L. Tucker
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 10, 2010
                      Many thanks.

                      Robert
                      K5TD

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 21, 2010
                        I have GSDR 1.1v12072010. Under the About tab I see this information:

                        Boot version 0.0.0
                        Firmware version 0.0.0
                        Serial Number 000

                        Is GSDR 1.1v12072010 the latest and does the information under the About
                        tab the latest?

                        Al WA8LBZ
                      • Nick
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 21, 2010
                          Hi Al -

                          Boot, firmware and serial numbers in About tab are only relevant to
                          G59 hardware, not G3020 or G40.

                          If you have downloaded latest version of GSDR make sure to
                          check appropriate box in Setup/General/Hardware tab.

                          My advice to owners of G3020 and G40 is to stick to
                          previous version of GSDR and if you have any issues, please report them here !

                          G59 owners have few options to chose between
                          different releases. I still find the March and May
                          release extremely stable and reliable with my G59.
                          I just *love* that magic image killer, side tone on CWX and
                          I even find less cracking noise with VAC. (But this could be subjective
                          feeling which may has to do with my specific setting or sound card properties).

                          Quite frankly, we just don't have enough units on air at the moment
                          to fully test the software or to find out what works best.

                          To quote C J Lewis:
                          "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing
                          an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."

                          Software people call this phenomenon a rollback.

                          We call it pioneering.

                          73 Nick

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 22, 2010
                            Nick, thank you for your prompt reply to my GSDR inquiry. Based on what you say, I will stick with the older version.

                            Al

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 20, 2010
                              These questions may have been answered before, but lately I have not had
                              time to follow the Genesis Radio Talk Group like I usually do.

                              Is there a version of GSDR that can turn the automatic image rejection
                              function on and off? Is so what version is it? If not, which is the
                              latest version of GSDR that does not include the automatic image
                              rejection function.

                              Al WA9LBZ
                            • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 20, 2010

                                These questions may have been answered before, but lately I have not had
                                time to follow the Genesis Radio Talk Group like I usually do.

                                Is there a version of GSDR that can turn the automatic image rejection
                                function on and off? Is so what version is it? If not, which is the
                                latest version of GSDR that does not include the automatic image
                                rejection function.

                                Al WA9LBZ

                                Database version: 6.16340

                                Database version: 6.16340
                              • Al Mecozzi WA8LBZ
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 20, 2010
                                  Thanks for the information Bruce. Al WA8LBZ

                                  Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z wrote:

                                  > http://www.genesisradio.com.au/GSDR/new/GSDR_update_15112010.zip

                                • john349624
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                                    Hi goran,

                                    quick question !

                                    In GSDR Have you disabled 'all cross-threading exceptions' in the constuctor of console class in console.cs ???

                                    Regards.

                                    JOHN G4PIR.
                                  • yt7pwr2002
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                                      Quick answer is no.Interesting link for this issue:

                                      http://www.dh1tw.de/compiling-powersdr-with-visual-studio-2008

                                      Enabling cross-thread check would require massive software rewriting.

                                      73 yt7pwr

                                      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "john349624" <g4pir.john@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi goran,
                                      >
                                      > quick question !
                                      >
                                      > In GSDR Have you disabled 'all cross-threading exceptions' in the constuctor of console class in console.cs ???
                                      >
                                      > Regards.
                                      >
                                      > JOHN G4PIR.

                                    • john349624
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                                        Hi goran,

                                        Thanks for the info.

                                        John g4pir.

                                        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "yt7pwr2002" <yt7pwr@...> wrote:

                                        > Quick answer is no.Interesting link for this issue:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.dh1tw.de/compiling-powersdr-with-visual-studio-2008
                                        >
                                        > Enabling cross-thread check would require massive software rewriting.
                                        >

                                        > 73 yt7pwr
                                        >

                                        > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "john349624" <g4pir.john@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi goran,
                                        > >
                                        > > quick question !
                                        > >
                                        > > In GSDR Have you disabled 'all cross-threading exceptions' in the constuctor of console class in console.cs ???
                                        > >
                                        > > Regards.
                                        > >
                                        > > JOHN G4PIR.

                                      • Robert Fish
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 15, 2012
                                          I have two G11s. Serial #006 (80, 40, 30 meters) and Serial #007
                                          (20,17,15,12,10 meters).
                                          Currently, I have two folders on my desktop one is labeled GSDR 80 the
                                          other is labeled GSDR 20.
                                          Each is set up for it's particular G11, (bands, calibration etc.) I just
                                          open whichever folder corresponds to the radio
                                          I want to use, and run GSDR from that folder. Is there a better way to
                                          do this? Perhaps, have the same GSDR with two separate settings files or
                                          something?
                                          Yesterday, I managed to fix the keyer in one G11, but I couldn't get the
                                          other one to work . I was almost certain it was just a setting that was
                                          wrong, so I copied the
                                          Database.XML file from the G11 that was working to the folder for the
                                          one that wasn't. It worked! The keyer started working in the second G11,
                                          but I lost all my
                                          calibration and band settings in the first one. As if I cut the XML file
                                          and pasted, instead of copied and pasted. I know I copied and wrote over
                                          the bad XML file, but who knows.
                                          I was tempted to just reverse the process to put the files back in the
                                          first folder but I was afraid it would just dig a deeper hole.
                                          So now I am tryng to get the first one fixed up again and it leaves me
                                          wondering if there is a better way. It seems like one of Goran's updates
                                          mentioned something about running two G11s.

                                          I hope this made sense.

                                          Bob K6GGO
                                        • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 15, 2012
                                            The easiest way to do it it to use 2 separate folders.

                                            Remember before making any change like you did, to make a backup copy of database.xml
                                            Then you can revert back if need be.

                                            You can run 2 G11 at the same time, with 2 separate instances of GSDR. just need to set each instance of GSDR to the proper serial number for
                                            the radio it will operate.

                                            ( in Step> Hradware > Genesis Config... bottom left )

                                            Bruce

                                            Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:12 PM

[...]

                                            =======
                                            http://www.pctools.com
                                            =======

                                            =======
                                            http://www.pctools.com
                                            =======
                                          • Robert Fish
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 15, 2012
                                              Yep, believe me I am kicking myself for not backing up that file. I just didn't think it was all that dangerous.
                                              I hadn't done a final calibration yet, so it wasn't catastrophic, but still a pain in the #!@$%.
                                              I'm still not sure what I did to fix that keyer, it probably had something to do with yesterdays firmware and software upgrade and some blind luck.
                                              I changed so many settings that I lost track, then it just started working. I really should keep a lab notebook, so I can go back and figure out what I did.

                                              Bob

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 5, 2012
                                                Hi Goran.

                                                I notice the newest update does not seem to save some settings from session to session anymore.

                                                Like, last used VFOA/LOSC frequency, AF, RF, and PWR slider settings etc.

                                              • Goran
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 5, 2012
                                                  It works here. You can open database and find Bandstack entry for every band (3 complete sets).

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 5, 2012
                                                    It works here too... as long as I don't shut the computer down....

                                                    I can stop GSDR, and come back to it later in the day, and the settings are the same.

                                                    Once the computer is shut off, and GSDR restarted, the settings are gone.

                                                    Mainly AF and RF and PWR slider.

                                                    Seems only sometimes the last used VFOA frequency is saved.

                                                    Strange...

                                                    Not the end of the world... but different than it was 3 or 4 updates ago.

                                                    Smile

                                                    Bruce

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 5, 2012
                                                      I think it may have to do with there being 2 separate user accounts on the machine.

                                                      The 'other' account is not used with any radio software...

                                                      But it seems if that account has been used, and the user is still "logged on" when I shut down the PC, the settings are lost.
                                                      If that user is logged off, or has not been logged on at all, all the settings are saved as I would expect.

                                                      This is a change I made just a week or two ago....

                                                      So for whatever reason, I believe that is causing the issue

                                                      I just tried it both ways twice each, and confirmed.

                                                      Seems very odd, but now I know what to expect at least.

                                                      Smile

                                                      Bruce

                                                      It works here. You can open database and find Bandstack entry for every band (3 complete sets).

                                                      73 yt7pwr

                                                      --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" <kf1z@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi Goran.

                                                      I notice the newest update does not seem to save some settings from session to session anymore.

                                                      > Like, last used VFOA/LOSC frequency, AF, RF,
                                                      and PWR slider settings etc.

                                                    • Goran
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 6, 2012
                                                        Try to turn off UAC or adjust database.xml owner/read/write privileges. This Windows feature is working very strange some times and that's why I always turn it off.

                                                        73 Goran

                                                        > I think it may have to do with there being 2 separate user accounts on the machine.
                                                        >
                                                        > The 'other' account is not used with any radio software...
                                                        >
                                                        > But it seems if that account has been used, and the user is still "logged on" when I shut down the PC, the settings are lost.
                                                        > If that user is logged off, or has not been logged on at all, all the settings are saved as I would expect.
                                                        >
                                                        > This is a change I made just a week or two ago....
                                                        >
                                                        > So for whatever reason, I believe that is causing the issue
                                                        >
                                                        > I just tried it both ways twice each, and confirmed.
                                                        >
                                                        > Seems very odd, but now I know what to expect at least.
                                                        >

                                                        > Bruce

                                                      • terry2
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 9, 2013
                                                          G’day,
                                                                      I’m about to re install GSDR . At the moment I have it under “C:/ Program files” ( windows7)
                                                                      Should it go there, or just in C:/  ?

                                                          Terry VK2KDK
                                                        • Bruce kf1z
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 9, 2013