Re: Emu 0204 Problems??

  • kd0jht
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2013
      Marek,

      What you said made me try this:
      I went into device manager, disabled all audio devices besides the Emu, and now the radio works.

      Seems like a "band-aid" solution but it will do for now. Thank you Marek for chiming in.

      Tim

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "sp5isz" wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Recently I bought the '0204 and used it till now for listening to music. I had a similarly looking malady. In my words: after some time of good reception in the headset, my music developed clicks which sounded like a dirty / damaged vinyl recording. Its intensity grew, after a moment it was completely untolerable. Finally the EMU icon on the desktop would disappear - driver crash.
      >
      > The remedy was: reinstallation of the driver (from the CD that came with the box, I still cannot tell the difference between all flavours of these), change in default setup of the sound cards (there are now 3 in the computer: one on main board, one internal SB Audigy, one USB EMU). I made the EMU default for all channels, and it works fine.
      >
      > I fully agree to your comments about the drivers. It's like wandering on the minefield, blindfold.
      >
      > 73, Marek sp5isz
      >
      > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd0jht" wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone else ever run into the problem I'm about to try to describe?
      > >
      > > Here's what happening in GSDR:
      > >
      > > I start the radio, and after maybe 3 seconds of normal receive, the audio and panadapter "glitches." A short chirp, followed by perhaps a half second of normal receive, then a constant looping overdriven condition both in the audio and panadapter. That's about the best way I can describe it.
      > >
      > > System: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi processor
      > > Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 Motherboard
      > > 8 Gigs of RAM
      > > Windows 7 64 bit
      > > EMU 0204 Soundcard and drivers
      > > Running the GSDR for 64 bit systems...was problem-free until this seemed to start happening out of the blue last Saturday. I don't know if there is some kind of driver conflict or what.
      > >
      > > I also notice audio problems running other applications, such as listening to music or playing games. My googling the problem has indicated that there are lots of other people having problems with this soundcard and no solutions. Seems to be driver related.
      > >
      > > I have tried running the card under MME, WASAPI, ASIO4ALL etc with the same results in GSDR. I have tried disabling all the other sound devices on the machine. I have tried erasing all the drivers for the other sound devices on the machine (IE Realtek MOBO etc)...
      > >
      > > I wish I could get somebody in here to see what this thing is doing, but that's the best I can describe it. My brother, who is a studio recording musician, has tried to help but hasn't been able to. I did take the card to his house this afternoon and he was able to re-create the problems (audio problems in other applications besides GSDR) on his machine. But it doesn't seem hardware related...more like buffer overrun or some such thing...
      > >
      > > It is too late to return the card to Amazon, darn it. I don't know what else to do. Anybody else run into this???
      > >
      > > DE Tim, NC0Q

    • sp5isz
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
        This is my follow up of my previous posting. I spent lot of time fiddling with my EMU0204. It seems OK now, after 3 things done to it:

        1. Windows XP: disable the USB controllers to save power by switching ports OFF (default setting is: enabled);
        2. Windows XP: increase priority of background tasks vs. applications;
        3. If this does not help - send the EMU box to service. I did this, they admitted a problem and replaced the box.

        73, Marek sp5isz