What is the purpose of the AF Preamp?

  • tom Pawlik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
      Greetings all. I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I'm
      trying to understand how to measure my signal strength. I'm
      finding that measurement is pretty close to what my XG3 puts out
      when the af preamp is on. Why not leave it on and not have a
      button there at all. I find no similar button on my Yeasu FT-950.

      Tom kc9tgf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
        not all soundcards are created equal.  Smile

        IF your signal to noise etc, can be made better with AF preamp on, leave it on.
        If NOT, there is nor resson to have it on.

        The exception is that you cannot get enough audio to 3rd party apps ( WSPR, JT65-hf etc) with "RF" and AF sliders at full.
        Then having AF preamp on, gives you that extra input to work with.

        Now to your question.

        What "signal strength" are you trying to measure?

        I am bit confused about what measurement is close to XG3

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
          I wanted to accurately setup my S meter with a 50uv signal. Also
          for troubleshooting my G59, which I discovered that my 20-30m
          band was showing lower signals as compared to other bands
          that were functioning ok.

          As an aside question, on my G11, how much difference in signal
          strength should there be with the bands wired for my bp filter to
          the bands outside it?

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
            oh.

            AF preamp should likely be off...

            Just inject the 50uV signal, and use the Level cal function in setup.

            The second question....
            There are a bunch of factors there, for noise etc..

            But the signal itself should not change by more than 1 or 2 db

            bruce

            Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:50 PM
            Subject: [GenesisRadio] Re: What is the purpose of the AF Preamp?

            --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "Bruce KF1Z" wrote:

            > not all soundcards are created equal.
            >
            > IF your signal to noise etc, can be made better with AF preamp
            on, leave it on.
            > If NOT, there is nor resson to have it on.
            >
            > The exception is that you cannot get enough audio to 3rd party apps (
            WSPR, JT65-hf etc) with "RF" and AF sliders at full.
            > Then having AF
            preamp on, gives you that extra input to work with.

            Now to your question.

            > What "signal strength" are you trying to
            measure?

            > I am bit confused about what measurement is close to
            XG3

            > Bruce

            href="mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [GenesisRadio] What is the purpose of the AF Preamp?
            >

            > Greetings all. I know this sounds like a newbie question, but
            I'm
            > trying to understand how to measure my signal strength. I'm

            finding that measurement is pretty close to what my XG3 puts out
            > when
            the af preamp is on. Why not leave it on and not have a
            > button there at
            all. I find no similar button on my Yeasu FT-950.

            > Tom
            kc9tgf