Re: I want to build a PA with mosfet IRF510

  • billncolo36
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
      Michel, take a look at this article. It worked well for me.

      "A Broadband HF Amplifier Using Low-Cost Power MOSFETs"
      By Mike Kossor, WA2EBY March 1999 QST

      Bill N0CU

      --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "lsedr" <lsedr@...> wrote:

      > Hi my friend
      >
      > I want to build a PA with mosfet IRF510 or RD16HHF1, of 100 or 200 watts for 160 to 10 M, and need a diagram.
      >
      > Michel,
      > HI3NMF
      > thanks

    • yo9irf
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
        RD16HHF1 is a 10W @ 12.5V RF power transistor, and IRF510 is a switching power transistor that is really a compromise for a HF amplifier; it works up to 15-20W @ 28V, but with bad IMD and even worse linearity. None of them will offer the 100-200W you are looking for, for that you need something completely different.

        If you are looking at home brewing, you shuld probably look into a schematic with a pair of RD100HHF if you want up to 200W @ 12V or a pair of MRF150 wich work at 50V but are good up to 300W. But, you definetely need automated SWR protection for it and also switchable output low pass filters.

        I am using a homebrewed amp with a pair of MRF150 running at about 100W output with good results, it tolerates SWR 3:1 all day without a problem, and they're pretty cheap (US$25/piece on ebay).

        There are also kits out there that can provide clean 100W, even if they're a bit more expensive than your own design they can save you alot of research work and even some damaged parts during testing.

        --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "lsedr" <lsedr@...> wrote:

        > Hi my friend
        >
        > I want to build a PA with mosfet IRF510 or RD16HHF1, of 100 or 200 watts for 160 to 10 M, and need a diagram.
        >
        > Michel,
        > HI3NMF
        > thanks

      • Drax Felton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012

          Look at the Data Sheet for those parts.  There’s often a sample circuit.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
            Hi, Michel. You might want to look up LA2NI, he is working with an amp called the Munin.

                        Gil    K8EAG

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
              how much drive does it need ?? the LA2NI Munin?

              To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
              From: orclig1@...
              Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:25:54 -0700

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                Mike, it will require very little drive power. Google LA1NI. there is a schematic and other info there.

                            Take care    Gil

                how much drive does it need ?? the LA2NI Munin?

                To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
                From: orclig1@...
                Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:25:54 -0700

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                  My UHFSDR has only 60mW drive available ... that's why I ask.

                  Mike KC7NOA

                  To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
                  From: orclig1@...
                  Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 17:09:24 -0700

                  To: GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com
                  From: orclig1@...
                  Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:25:54 -0700

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                    IRF510s are low freq switchers and are not suitable for serious RF use. The RD solution is the best.

                    Chris (sv1fxo)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                      That's true....

                      But some interesting examples exist.  Smile

                      --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "lsedr" <lsedr@...> wrote:

                      > Hi my friend

                      want to build a PA with mosfet IRF510 or RD16HHF1, of 100 or 200 watts for 160 to 10 M, and need a diagram.

                      > Michel,
                      > HI3NMF

                      thanks

                    • lsedr